U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:33 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,140,868 times

Advertisements

As a Texan I defy the stereotype that we're all ignorant, country hicks. I'm actually country AND intelligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Ummm, ever been to Seaside Heights?
Ummm, ever read the OP's question?

Me: I don't fistpump, I don't speak with a typical Jersey accent, I live in a very green, scenic, hilly area.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,202,659 times
I haven't lived here very long, so it's too early to tell. But when I lived in TN I defied a lot of the stereotypes.

1. I wasn't obsessed with college sports, or sports in general.
2. Atheist
3. Liberal
4. No interest in hunting or fishing.
5. No interest in NASCAR.
6. Didn't own a television.
7. Drove a 20 year old compact car instead of a brand new SUV or pickup. (couldn't have afforded one even if I'd wanted to)
8. Not racist (Well, I guess maybe we're all racist in some way, maybe subconsciously, but I wasn't blatantly racist and proud of it, like a large portion of the people I knew.)
9. Not homophobic (Like nearly everyone I knew).

Old 12-08-2011, 11:44 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,129,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
San Francisco is in reality one of the more racist cities in the country.
Right. Whatever you say. And its funny to hear someone from Texas complaining of racism in CA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Byrd,_Jr.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Right. Whatever you say. And its funny to hear someone from Texas complaining of racism in CA:

Murder of James Byrd, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
First of all, I'm black. So I know what nonsense goes on over here. It just gets tiring listening to self righteous white Californians act like their state is the land of milk and honey for blacks while blatantly ignorning the crap that goes on over there. That's the problem with you (and this goes for white northerners too). You're way too complacent and certain of your "progressiveness" that you ignore the things that go on right under your noses.

James Baldwin Take This Hammer Part 1 - YouTube

Black population deserting S.F., study says - SFGate

Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,004,481 times
I grew up on the border of New Jersey, and although I'm glad I'm not from New Jersey, it's not for the stereotypical reasons - more because of the tolls - I don't like to be milked just go go over a bridge.

Every time I go out of the area, even as close as Maryland, I run into people who talk about the New Jersey stereotype. I wanna smack them. Although the people in this area love to criticize our bordering states, it's for real reasons - taxes, cops, traffic, roads, etc.

I hate how everybody thinks New York attributes are now New Jersey. I told some girl in Baltimore that I have family at the Jersey shore.. used to go there, etc. She remarked on the guidos and Snooki.

This is sad. Even people in Baltimore don't know that Jersey is farms, and high school football, strip malls, regular people. If anything, you should criticize the decrepit cities, but they don't. They think everybody is Snooki.

I've never seen anybody who resembles Snooki or Pauly D in New Jersey, and I've been there hundreds and hundreds of times.

The mafia thing was at least some negative form of respect - but now, I see all over the internet and in real life that people feel that they can disrespect the entire state because of these wrongly conceived notions about a couple beaches in Central Jersey where kids from NY go.

The stereotypical New Jersey people in my mind are happy, friendly, rich suburban kids driving nice cars, cutting across 5 lanes at the last second to get back to their bridge.

Sad.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,453,147 times
I welcome all stereotypes! It makes the one doing the stereotyping look naive,unworldly, and clownish...and these are a few of my favorite things.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,004,481 times
The other stereotype that I have to fight is that I'm dumb.

I talked to a couple of kids from out west a few times, and they took my Italian heritage and my Wilmington/Phila accent as that I was dumb.

I said "aint" and "out Concord Pike" and "jew go over her house" and a few other isms of the area. These kids were mocking me. I was in a bit of disbelief that they thought they could mock us and that we would take it, but I was really offended that they thought we were dumb because of how we talked.

So basically, I led them into a few conversations that spinned their heads and showed them we're not dumb, we just talk differently than we would write a letter - it's a local dialect sort of thing.

I feel for the southerners' stereotype after those few times being ostracized just for the common way we spoke in the neighborhood. I felt like telling the kids that they would have gotten chased and beat up for talking like a news anchor in a tough neighborhood, but I didn't.

Ahh stereotypes..

Old 12-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Another thing. I defy the stereotype that southerners are fat and out of shape. I'd love to see west coasters after a day of hauling hay and other ranch work down here in Texas in the middle of a 103 degree summer. Your little air conditioned gyms don't prepare you for that type of workout.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:27 PM

52,063 posts, read 41,872,746 times
.....I live in Kansas.

Most people don't know that our blazing red state....was headed by Kathleen Sebelius (D) whom now serves in Obama's cabinet.

The other biggie is the WBC of protesting dead solidiers infamy is NOT native to KS but is actually transplanted from Mississippi, their leader is a former fundraiser for Al Gore and they moved to Topeka because the zipcode starts 666xx.

Most of the suburban KC area is not nearly as socially conservative. I've got gay neighbors, devout Catholics and all other kinds and no one is fighting with the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or