Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

And I'm NOT just talking about country, (although I do include that).

I find, that no matter what issues one has with the south, no matter what stereotypes one has about the south,

I think there is no question,

that the one thing that can be said about the South, is that it IS the most important region overall when it comes to the development of music. I don't see how anyone can argue that. And even though one doesn't particularly care for the south, it can almost be said, that American music of ALL styles, would not be what they are without the south.

Country is obvious. Nashville (mainstream) and Austin (alt-country). Bluegrass that came out of Appalachia. Then all the cross-over southern rock (skynyrd, Allman Bros, etc.) Anyone who likes that music is going to appreciate the south, so I'm not spending much time on that.

New Orleans is obvious: the birthplace of Jazz. It evolved into many other styles in many other cities, but it was born in New Orleans. Thats an obvious one. Cajun too.

Memphis: Another obvious: Blues and early Rock and Roll (Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.) got there start. Chicago blues artists generally were from this area. Memphis was crucial to early rock and roll, and everything that stemmed from that. Also Austin with Stevie Ray

early Soul and R&B: ray Charles and Otis Redding both came from small town Georgia. Even most of the Motown artists (as well as Berry Gordy himself) in Detroit, were only one generation away from

Don't care for county, country-rock, or classic R&B? More into contemporary urban music like Hip hop and R&B? It may have first developed into New York, then developed on the coasts (east coast versus west coast) but urban style music certainly has matured into a prominent center in Atlanta, no question there (Usher, Outkast, 112)

Into more alternative music? Athens, GA. Th early 80s Athens, GA scene was crucial to the development of Alternative rock. B-52s obviously one of the most important new wave bands, REM was crucial to alternative.

Go to the Georgia Music Hall of fame in Macon, GA right off I-75, and there you can appreciate the wide range of styles that came out of just one southern state.

South Texas, crucial to the development of hispanic, Tejano pop music. (Selena who died young).

So:

1: Do you agree, that its hard to debate that whatever your style of music, our nations music would NOT be what it is today without the South.

2. Do you think there is some pattern, some connection or reason, why the South has been so important the development of music in America?

Personally theres so much that came out of the south, that this can NOT be random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 02:26 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I'm from the south but you can easily argue the broad north is very important. I wouldn't say the south is easily the most important.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Yeah, it's the soputh by a mile when it comes to American music. It's pretty simple why the south is so influential in american popular music. Almost all forms of american popular music are based, one way or the other, on different varieties of african-american music, all of which originated in the south --jazz, blues, gospel. No type of music in the country today is untouched by these forms of black musical expression, and some wouldn't even exist without them. And of course up until the 20th centruy, when black folk started leaving for the north, midwest, and pacific coast, the overwhelming majority of black people lived in the south.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm from the south but you can easily argue the broad north is very important. I wouldn't say the south is easily the most important.
I wouldn't say it's the most important either. But I will say it's the birthplace of our cultural rhythms.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times
Here we go, the War between the North and the South, but, this time, the South takes it hands down LOL

Love Jazz, and Gospel...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Yes

Country
Bluegrass
Southern Gospel
Contemporary Christian
Blues
Jazz
Rock N' Roll
Zydeco

Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
The South produced country and most of its derivatives, blues, and jazz in the form of artists/musicians. However, they were popularized by record producers from the North who mass marketed this music (such as Ralph Peer).

For the African American musicians, the only places that would record them was up North (Chess Records in Chicago for example).

New Orleans is a huge blues/jazz place still, but Chicago has a bigger scene and just as much history because that's where that music was recorded and distributed.

While Nashville is the home of country music, most country records are produced out of Los Angeles now.

As for rap, Atlanta is probably the 3rd or 4th largest player after NYC, CA, and Chicago (or before Chicago). But the centers of rap are NYC then LA.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 PM

27 posts, read 21,856 times
Yes, I agree. Pretty much all pop music, not only in America, but in the world, owes at least some of its heritage to the American South.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
The South produced country and most of its derivatives, blues, and jazz in the form of artists/musicians. However, they were popularized by record producers from the North who mass marketed this music (such as Ralph Peer).

For the African American musicians, the only places that would record them was up North (Chess Records in Chicago for example).

New Orleans is a huge blues/jazz place still, but Chicago has a bigger scene and just as much history because that's where that music was recorded and distributed.

While Nashville is the home of country music, most country records are produced out of Los Angeles now.

As for rap, Atlanta is probably the 3rd or 4th largest player after NYC, CA, and Chicago (or before Chicago). But the centers of rap are NYC then LA.
I doubt Chicago has bigger jazz scene than New Orleans and Mississippi is still the home of blues.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I watch the HBO series Treme and it makes me think that the South has got to be the most lyrical part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.