U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:13 PM

21 posts, read 61,789 times

Advertisements

I'd like to go back to Atlanta if possible, which is where I lived for the last three years. But the job market there is terrible. I'm 41, separated, and my only child just left for college. Thus, I'm open to moving anywhere.

Here are the cities I'm considering. Any advice on jobs, cost of living, range of activities, etc. is appreciated.

Austin
Phoenix/Scottsdale
Northern California (San Fran, Monterey, Eureka, etc.)
DC
Charlotte
Charleston
Memphis
Orlando

I'm also considering Pittsburgh and Providence, but they're lower on the list because of the winter weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 04:17 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,738,106 times
Out of your list i would consider Austin, TX
Good economy with good paying jobs
Very safe
Alot to do

Old 12-03-2011, 04:34 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,792,852 times
Charlotte!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:00 PM

Austin is my first choice, but I'm trying to gather research on some other places I'm considering so I can lay out the pros and cons and start planning a move. I'm reading through the other forums too.

It seems like there's some backlash against the gentrification going on in Austin. That doesn't bother me so much (I love Whole Foods). But I'm worried about the rising cost of living. And it's a bit isolated.

I also really like AZ and what I've read about the Phoenix area, but I don't personally know anything about what it's like to live there.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,462,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateway141 View Post
Austin is my first choice, but I'm trying to gather research on some other places I'm considering so I can lay out the pros and cons and start planning a move. I'm reading through the other forums too.

It seems like there's some backlash against the gentrification going on in Austin. That doesn't bother me so much (I love Whole Foods). But I'm worried about the rising cost of living. And it's a bit isolated.

I also really like AZ and what I've read about the Phoenix area, but I don't personally know anything about what it's like to live there.
If you really like AZ, I would go with it, but be prepared for the heat in the summer. If you are planning to buy a home, now is the time to buy in Phoenix. Some people may complain about the lackluster skyline or that the downtown isn't as vibrant as in other cities, but the fact remains that most people in the U.S. do not live in downtowns anyways. There has been an effort to move away from building on the fringe of the metro and you'll notice a lot more infill projects happening in Phoenix, including downtown. If you like the nightlife, there's downtown PHX, Scottsdale, and Tempe. It's not as slow-paced here as some may try to portray it to be.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 28 days ago)

10,522 posts, read 14,357,566 times
Curious as to what about Memphis attracts you? I lived there for over twenty years and it's not usually very high on anyone's list of places to move to, unless they already have a good job offer in hand.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 AM

17,318 posts, read 19,597,329 times
What do you like about DC? It's the largest metro area on your list.

It also has the most to see and do, IMO. However, you pay a price for it.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 AM

2,669 posts, read 1,984,605 times
I like the Monterrey area. California is still pricey, but if you can afford to live there, go for it.
I like the SF Bay area, but it is pretty crowded.

Charlotte is a nice area, if you like Atlanta, Though the culinary landscape is still lacking. Lots of golf and fishing, and ACC/SEC colleges are an easy drive.

Memphis has all the humidity you'll ever want. Good food, and fresh-water fishing, and golf. Barbeque reigns. But when winter comes around that humidity makes it feel colder than the Northeast.

Orlando. Do you like tourists? Do you like hot humid summers and sticky winters with tourists everywhere? Remember the Olympics in Atlanta? Orlando is like that 11 and a half months a year.

But you can golf and fish all year. And the beaches are only a couple of hours away.
If you want to live in Florida, try Tampa/St Pete.
Charsleston always seems a bit limited, and "clique-ish." but if you like fishing, it stands head and shoulders above the others.

Austin is an interesting town, but if you like Atlanta, the dry clime and lack of trees might bother you after a while.

One thing I always have a problem with out west is the lack of rain.

Phoenix/Scottsdale is dry and hot.
If you don't mind being where they call it cool when the temp drops below 100, and trees and grass are rare, it is a nice place. People are friendly and you can golf all year.

DC, is exciting and there are a lot of neighborhoods where you don't need a car, but you pay dearly for the privilege, and the 'burbs are crazy. If you work in the city, and live in the suburbs, make sure you have a car you love to be in.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,151,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
If you really like AZ, I would go with it, but be prepared for the heat in the summer. If you are planning to buy a home, now is the time to buy in Phoenix. Some people may complain about the lackluster skyline or that the downtown isn't as vibrant as in other cities, but the fact remains that most people in the U.S. do not live in downtowns anyways. There has been an effort to move away from building on the fringe of the metro and you'll notice a lot more infill projects happening in Phoenix, including downtown. If you like the nightlife, there's downtown PHX, Scottsdale, and Tempe. It's not as slow-paced here as some may try to portray it to be.
I personally don't think NOW is the time, at all! You could sit on RE in Phoenix for 2 or 3 more years and STILL be at or below current prices, IMO. Just a hunch...

Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. The only reason I'm considering Memphis is because it came up on Businessweek's list of "America's Most Fun, Affordable Cities." In fact, several of the cities on my list came from that slideshow. I really love bigger metro areas, but I'm trying to keep an open mind due to the current economic environment.

As for DC (and the surrounding MD and VA cities), it's a really good option for me. I lived in Baltimore for five years, so I have good friends in the area. I don't generally like the mid-Atlantic region, mainly because of the snow and cold, plus people can be a bit abrasive there. But DC is not Baltimore, and it's fantastic. Lots of jobs. Plenty to do. And I have a few contacts in the area. But my husband lives there (we're separated and planning to divorce). We have a good relationship for the most part, but I'm not sure we need to be that close to each other, unless we're going to reconcile. I'm thinking more about a fresh start, but I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. It won't do me any good to move somewhere expensive, with no friends or family, a nightlife that can't rival the DC area, and poor job prospects.

However, as I said, I have contacts in the area, and I've been looking at jobs in and around DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.