Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 PM

24 posts, read 145,329 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I would describe myself as introverted and intellectual. I dont like going to clubs or parties that much and am afraid of meeting new people. Also dont like standing in lines and stuff like that at the grocery store because Im too self conscious. Im treating all that for social anxiety.

Looking at law schools right now and I want to find a place that will suit my personality and where I can be successful and meet other people. In case you were wondering I am not the typical nerdy guy you might imagine-- I do play soccer, like to work out and keep fit, and at least on the surface dont project a shy guy image.

I am interested in being a tax lawyer and estate planner and having a private client practice. I want to find a place where people will like me and where I can do well.

I am from a wealthy area in the Northeast but I dont like it-- it is not my style. People in the Northeast are pushy, fast paced, concerned too much about spending all their time making money, and about money/consumerist issues. As a result life is hectic, people arent as friendly, and prices are very high. Ditto for Arizona, Cali, or Florida. Similarly I dont see myself in free ranging sprawling college football Oklahoma or Texas or even the Southeast. My thoughts have been:

1) Minneapolis- St Paul
2) Seattle
3) Madison, Wisconsin
4) Michigan

Any thoughts or suggestions? I also like outdoors and nature and would love to own someday a cabin on a lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 05:31 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
You would do great in Seattle,beautiful city, lots to do ( abundent nature) lots of healthy people that are active. People are great and there is a great client base for you there. I know I am from the Pacific Northwest.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:51 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
I think that your top choices are pretty good and pretty much the exact same places I'd have recommended for you even had you not of listed them. I would omit Michigan however due to the poor economy and also, no offense to the Michiganders on here, generally it seems to me that a much higher proportion of people in Michigan are very unhappy there than elsewhere, no doubt partially linked to the economic outlook. I think you should add Portland to your list as well, and you may also want to consider Boise, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City and Denver. People tend to be more relaxed in these areas than they are in the Northeast, there are plentiful outdoor sporting activities, and the economies are generally good (though I've heard mixed things about Portland's economy at the moment), although you'd likely be able to do well for yourself within that industry regardless of where you locate.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:27 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
No offense meant here, but law may not be the best career choice for your personality. Typically when people seek a lawyer they want someone who is aggressive and confident. It doesn't seem as though you posess either of those traits. You can have the most brilliant mind on the planet but if you can't project confidence or interact socially you are not going to do very well in this field. How are you going to be able to put on a trial if you can't even stand in line at the grocery store? Even estate planning and tax lawyers have to go into court and even put on trials. I'm not trying to be rude, but both hubby and I are lawyers, so I speak from experience.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:46 AM

I disagree.

Certain areas of law would not be good for my personality and I know that offhand. There are fields with a lot of litigation, working for a corporation, public interest, etc that would not work for me.

I interned with a tax law/estate planning practice and felt very comfortable there. From time to time the lawyer had to litigate but not very often. And when you do that may be your least favorite part of the job but something you dont have to do.

What I like about tax law is that it is a very complex, accounting and math oriented area of practice. I worked very well with this stuff and was able to interpret it and write response letters for clients and do some tax returns during my internship. And as far as aggressiveness and confidence, those skills are things that develop over time while you are in practice and have the knowledge and track record behind you.

Not everyone in law has to have a go-getter kind of personality. Neither do they in many other fields. If they did that would be very boring and of course I would steer clear from it as I do from my former interest-- investment banking. I did an Ibanking internship and again not for me. The way they dealt with people on the phone was crazy and laughable. Their mode of operation for work and mindset was also excessively aggressive. I did not feel comfortable there for that reason.

Well I'm glad I don't practice law in Palm Desert, California. If people want a guy that looks like a movie star (well I do have the good looks part ), the aggressiveness of an investment banker, and the confidence of an Army Green Beret, then I'm guessing that California is a pretty shallow place to practice law. It takes all types and I wouldn't say I'm not super unconfident, just going through the difficult questioning time at the end of college and accepting/treating social anxiety that I recently found out I had.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I think that your top choices are pretty good and pretty much the exact same places I'd have recommended for you even had you not of listed them. I would omit Michigan however due to the poor economy and also, no offense to the Michiganders on here, generally it seems to me that a much higher proportion of people in Michigan are very unhappy there than elsewhere, no doubt partially linked to the economic outlook. I think you should add Portland to your list as well, and you may also want to consider Boise, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City and Denver. People tend to be more relaxed in these areas than they are in the Northeast, there are plentiful outdoor sporting activities, and the economies are generally good (though I've heard mixed things about Portland's economy at the moment), although you'd likely be able to do well for yourself within that industry regardless of where you locate.
Cool. I decided not to apply to Michigan State-- the price tag is 26k for an in-state school. They probably have no money to fund their schools. Yeah the economy sounds kind of bad.

So far on my list I have: Rutgers-Newark, William Mitchell College of Law (MN), Seattle University, University of Buffalo (NY), University of Pittsburgh, and I may add Marquette in Wisconsin or one other. I thought about the Rocky Mountain States but the schools are out of my score range. I have a 3.4 gpa and a 157 lsat. U Utah, UC Boulder etc have 3.6 gpas and 165 lsat averages. You can always get a job in a different place after you graduate but I want to pick a place and stay. I looked at U Buffalo and that looked pretty cool they have no class rank so its pretty laid back and then theres all the skiing and outdoor stuff there in New York State or nearby Southern Ontario. Cheap tuition too, could be a winner.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:29 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
I live in Mpls/St Paul, have spent lots of time in Madison (and lived 2 years in Milwaukee where Marquette is) and a couple tirips to Seattle and Michigan. I'd agree they'd be good choices except that MI's economy is on the skids. I'm originally from Western NY so am familiar with Buffalo. Also a great area, except economy is similar to Michigan's. I also agree with dullnborings choices for you, good choices all.

PS--Good response to Twinkle Toes. Sounds like you know yourself and your chosen profession well. Don't listen to negative nabobs who may try to define you.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:19 PM

262 posts, read 2,022,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenguy21 View Post
If people want a guy that looks like a movie star, the aggressiveness of an investment banker, and the confidence of an Army Green Beret...
This is exactly what I would look for in a lawyer except I'd want the aggressiveness factor jacked up to "pit bull".

However, an estate planning attorney may be a little different b/c you're going to be working with a lot of senior citizens and families, who (generally speaking) have more patience and are less pushy. Though I still think that personality IS a big factor in any law practice, you should do well here if you understand and enjoy finance. I wish the best of luck to you.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:56 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times
Introverted Intellectual Guy with Social Anxiety

The University of Chicago Law School

Old 01-05-2007, 04:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Best of luck. I am from New Jersey, and if you are tired of the rush-rush-pushiness of the northeast, then Rutgers would probably not suit you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.