U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM

4,670 posts, read 6,140,283 times

Advertisements

Seattle or New Orleans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 PM

70 posts, read 123,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
Kansas City, MO. Or maybe PA somewhere, or Utah, or WA/OR. Most likely Kansas City, MO though
Interesting. What would bring you to KC?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 PM

8,521 posts, read 14,031,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I wouldn't be in the country. I am always looking for a way to move and get paid to move long term to Europe. Optimally I would be in UK/Ireland a lot of the year, then maybe go to Spain/Australia or South America in the winter. I can live wherever I want in the US now just by going on a simple job search (and I have) (doesn't need to be working remote), that thought isn't appealing. I think most people with a decent education who have no children or constraining obligations can do the same if they put their mind to it, I've known people straight out of high school do it, I think people are just scared of change so they don't. The former is more interesting to me and a bit harder to swing.

Now, I would consider that...........how would you suggest one go about doing it. I would not no where to start. My only concern is I plan on buying a business but it will not be a business in which I have to "run" every day. I don't want to get into all of that but some insight on your remarks would be great.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 AM

121 posts, read 389,609 times
New Orleans or Hawaii (if I could afford it)
New Orleans because it's a fun city and great people. Yes it has it's downsides and problems, but the lifestyle and people are amazing.
Hawaii, it is beautiful with a perfect climate.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 AM

13,245 posts, read 24,535,776 times
In a big house, with a big piece of land, with sweeping views, somewhere in Spokane County, WA, or Kootenai County, ID. Or both.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:51 PM

6,467 posts, read 11,593,417 times
I already live there!

But ideally from an RV that I can move anywhere I wanted to go.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:16 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,855,992 times
New Orleans

Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Now, I would consider that...........how would you suggest one go about doing it. I would not no where to start. My only concern is I plan on buying a business but it will not be a business in which I have to "run" every day. I don't want to get into all of that but some insight on your remarks would be great.
Depending on your job or company, you could get a transfer. Not sure about buying a business over there... But there are company transfers that I have seen people do several times. I had the opportunity to go to Germany on a job transfer once actually but it just wasn't the right time. If you work in a high demand field there are also job openings. I know several tech people in a specialized software who have relocated, as well as people who speak languages which are in demand such as arabic translators. I'm sure there are other things in demand there, but those are just ones I know of. The problem with the Schengen countries is you can only stay there for 90 days without some form of visa (usually work from a company there, or student)
The UK has a 6 month window, Australia is 3 months, but you can't work there and would be hard just moving there and applying for jobs.
As a U.S. citizen, living in the UK 1/2 the year and visiting the rest of Europe is our best bet. One for language, two it is a longer window and generally more friendly towards Americans...not in a cultural way necessarily, just as far as leniency in case something were to happen.
There are tricks around the "system" by going in and out of the countries, getting passports stamped and stuff... but IMO That is not worth the risk as you could be permanently banned from entering, deported or detained...

Last edited by grapico; 12-20-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 04:26 PM

8,521 posts, read 14,031,552 times
Bumpty bump

Old 12-23-2011, 05:09 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,150,969 times
I would alternate my time between Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or