Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Most of the blacks in southern Louisiana are indeed Catholic, and it's because of the French/Creole influence. Also, the coastal Gulf area is heavily Catholic, be it New Orleans, Gulfport MS, or Mobile AL. Pensacola FL, the "City of Five Flags," has an obvious Catholic presence, though I think it fades the further one goes east from NOLA. On the same latitude, both Houston and Jacksonville have significant Catholic populations, in the neighborhood of 30% to 35%. Once one goes inland in the South, Catholicism tapers quickly.

Black Catholics are among the coolest blacks. They have the great sense of humor minus the "fire and brimstone" trip from Bible thumping.
That's not very fair to black Protestants. Growing up in proximity to black Catholics, I've never noticed that their religious practices added any sort of coolness factor to the way they acted or approached things. They believed in Jesus, heaven, hell, and sin, just like we did. Many black Catholics even employ the same gospel music and traditions into their services that can be found in Baptist, COGIC, and Methodist churches.

When it comes to Christian blacks, the lines between the cultures of each practice and denomination tend to be quite blurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Remember that south La has one-half to three-quarters of the states population. Only about one-quarter lives in north La which is majority protestant (majority Baptist) and the population is shrinking up here.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
Default Adopted Only Child 666 Stuck In Tennessee Bible Belt

Tennessee all the way! Stuck here all my life! Made it to New York for 3 years but personal ties to my dragged me back to caregiving duties. People like to have lots of babies here in the Bible Belt, do not like to adopt, think extroverts are the only humans who matter, have zero respect for diversity. Fox News blares on all tv screens, men are getting really hateful with me around here and regurgitate Hannity and O'Reilly verbatim in everywhere from the auto shop to the dentist's office to the library. People are hung up on manners, and if you don't have an artificial smile on your face all day and get out and recklessly flap your tongue around, you do not have character. An adoptee is wrong, an only child is wrong, a childless old maid is wrong, even, get this, an animal lover-volunteer-self-employed person-caregiver is wrong. Incredible! Basically you're doomed if you are not a member of a big happy white conservative family with each member having a minimum of 2 jobs (when so many people need 1). You are given few employment opportunities even if you are well-educated, people mock you and make funny of you. If you are quiet and keep your head down not bothering anybody you are a sociopath. After 40 years of trying everything in my power to belong, trying to be a bubbly extrovert, I now basically stay right here in my home, self-employed, only go to the grocery store and post office, will wait until I no longer have personal ties and hit the road and head out of here. I tried to belong, I tried to love it here, tried to be outgoing and extroverted, but people have you branded a freak already and won't give a chance if you are different in the Bible Belt. Communication is not a 2 way street here. Non-adopted sibling-rich extroverts and big families are the majority, and it's their way or the highway.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:58 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,096,533 times
It should be clearly noted that the Bible Belt does not occupy just the south. It also extends into Missouri, Kansas, parts of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and New Mexico.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
It should be clearly noted that the Bible Belt does not occupy just the south. It also extends into Missouri, Kansas, parts of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and New Mexico.
And also parts of Colorado and well up into Nebraska and the Dakotas. And parts of Pennsylvania, Virginia, and even southern Illinois.

I think the point is that there are parts of most states that are quite religious, and parts that are not (usually the cities). New England might be one of the few areas that is more uniform in its relative secularism, but even in those states there are major orthodox Catholic colleges, schools, seminaries, etc.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,913 times
Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Texas
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Florida (Northern and certain Central regions)
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
Kansas
Kentucky

These are also all mostly states that have a high weekly church attendance rate of 50% or above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.