U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 PM

2,235 posts, read 5,368,186 times

Advertisements

Are your ready for this? Apparently internet lists that rank cities are...wildly wrong and inaccurate!!!

Now how will we decide where to live!

Why city rankings always get it wrong - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,041,891 times
Damn...I was really looking forward to "Best cities for sun tan lotion".

Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 AM

3,698 posts, read 4,536,862 times
BUT..BUT..You mean the recent thread about "America's Saddest Cities" on City vs City is inaccurate?!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 AM

2,235 posts, read 5,368,186 times
Well, we all know this site is the only truly source of accurate information on cities.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:29 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,402,886 times
But who will make my decisions concerning cities for me!?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,502,390 times
It doesn't surprise me at all. People have such varied criterias and personal preferences when it comes to places. So varied that I could never understand, how a publisher or whomever comes up with the Best places. The only best places lists that matters is the one we create for ourself.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:19 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
The article's kind of a mix of good and bad. On the good it's right many of these lists are silly. That a great many of them are even just designed as advertizing for a company. And that not everything can be tangible and quantified. I could see a person loving say Detroit for some indefinable "Detroitness" they like.

On the bad it's kind of got that snotty NYC/LA-centric quality and comes close to an excess subjectivism. I know New Yorkers desperately believe all smart people want to move to NYC, and that no one would be caught dead in Utah, but that's not the reality. It's the reality for a fairly small world of writers and artists, but it's not the reality as a whole. People leave LA and NYC all the time. If huge amounts go there, well they're huge cities that dominate the media. Of course many will go to them. It's not really a sign of anything but bigness. Many smart people have moved elsewhere. So it's a bit like people here with "ooh look a thing is big, famous, and I like it therefore it must be better than dinky old Provo or Honolulu or whatever."

Still I do enjoy some of these lists for what they measure rather than they call themselves. If it's accurate on the figures the Men's Health list I think could be pretty good as a starting point on mental-health factors in a city. I mean if they broke down on how cities did on each factor. Like there might be some interest in comparing suicide rates by city in hopes of figuring out commonalities or issues in the "high suicide" cities. The anti-depressant usage might be off as cities who use more anti-depressants might be happier, not less happy, and maybe you could get into cultural comparisons of anti-depressant usage. If you're going to take them totally serious as "Men's Health said this city's happy, but I don't find the people here happy" than yeah they're probably pretty worthless. I just don't know it's inevitable one does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or