U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,678,847 times

Advertisements

If you made good money with a very promising future (you and your spouse both) in your careers but lived in a place you didnt really care for, would you choose to stay or move somewhere else and risk starting over to be in a place you both really love??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:34 AM

2,719 posts, read 4,406,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
If you made good money with a very promising future (you and your spouse both) in your careers but lived in a place you didnt really care for, would you choose to stay or move somewhere else and risk starting over to be in a place you both really love??
If this mean move somewhere without a job for both of you, I wouldn't do it.

I didn't face your case because 1) I don't move to a place that I don't have a job offered, and 2) I don't look for a job in places that I don't want to live. No jock, that's my principle.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 AM

well, born and raised in the place that your stuck. Lived for a while in the other place and have contacts there which could get in but for me it would mean starting at the bottom, my wife could probably get in the same thing she is in but maybe take a small pay cut.

It would basically be a big step backwards financially, not suicide! We have a 2 year old to provide for and were not retarded lol

Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 AM

420 posts, read 751,171 times
Take the risk! It's easy to say but hard to do.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 AM

2,719 posts, read 4,406,013 times
Quote:
well, born and raised in the place that your stuck. Lived for a while in the other place and have contacts there which could get in but for me it would mean starting at the bottom, my wife could probably get in the same thing she is in but maybe take a small pay cut.

It would basically be a big step backwards financially, not suicide! We have a 2 year old to provide for and were not retarded lol
Well, now the scenario is different! Only small pay cut for wife but substantial for you. In this case I will evaluate the risk. Question I would try to answer are:

1) How big of a cut that I am taking that will limit me from enjoying the place I want to be in the first place? If you DON'T have enough money in a nice place, make no mistake, there is no happy time.

2) How this factor into your overall plan in life, such as retirement. You seem to be young. If so, you can recover from mistakes.

3) Do you really like that palce like you said? Make more trips so you won't second guess yourself again. Sometime we remember only the nice things of a place only to go back and find it terrible.

Good luck

Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,998,816 times
If the money is good enough, you can try to split the difference and hang in a while. Pile up a nest egg.

At the same time, you can travel to potential futures areas. If you really find a place. maybe buy a weekend/vacation place (at a GOOD price) that you can move to eventually. More likely not while you are 'young', as remote ownership can be a burden if badly done. I think it better to buy the (near-) 'retirement' place when you are sure of the location and are fairly close to moving. This move can be 'staged' over a period of time.

In the interim, refine your work skills, connections. Search and prospect for work in target area(s) through things like new employment, setting up a business, consulting/traveling, working from home. Opportunities may pop up. It happens, especially if you have skills, energy, creativity.

I suggest not working 'forever' in a job or place you don't like just for the money. Life is shorter than many realize, especially the young. At the same time, never forget you must support an acceptable lifestyle for you and whoever depends on you. Sometimes defining the parameters of this lifestyle is tricky....many people never do it and bounce around forever.... many others do it when their options have vanished.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 AM

15,208 posts, read 31,178,329 times
Quote:

What about a compromise? If you are both young, why not stay where you are and sock money away and/or make investments and get in a good financial situation to possibly make a move later on? Another question - is there a way to improve your living situation where you are (as in moving to another neighborhood/town, etc. but staying local) that might suit you better?

It's never a cut-and-dried answer. In this difficult economy if you are doing well with your jobs you can really thank your lucky stars. Sometimes the grass is NOT always greener, especially if you don't have enough money!

Hope this helps!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 AM

well, we lived in the other place for about a year so I know I like it, I remember the good and bad quite well and think there are far more good things (to us atleast).

I don't think there is a way to make where we are "better" for us. I have lived here my whole life. Im tired of Florida, I dont like the heat and I really want mountains and seasons. A move to a different area in Florida would just make me farther from my parents but still in the same situation of not liking the weather/geography.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 AM

15,208 posts, read 31,178,329 times
Quote:
well, we lived in the other place for about a year so I know I like it, I remember the good and bad quite well and think there are far more good things (to us atleast).

I don't think there is a way to make where we are "better" for us. I have lived here my whole life. Im tired of Florida, I dont like the heat and I really want mountains and seasons. A move to a different area in Florida would just make me farther from my parents but still in the same situation of not liking the weather/geography.
Then I guess it boils down to whether you feel it's worth it to be making far less money but enjoying a change in scenery.

For what it's worth, a few years ago I felt "tired of Florida" (was living in Dade City at the time) and felt like I wanted a change. I got excited over the prospect of Asheville, NC and we visited and loved it - so much so, we sold our main Florida home (we still had a cottage here, though) and bought a house up there with the intention of making a partial or even complete move. Bottom line, hubby didn't want to leave his good job in Florida, and by the third year of going up there part-time the glow wore off and I realized Asheville wasn't really "all that", and how much I really do love living in Florida and what it has to offer. We ended up moving to a much more suitable city for us (Sarasota/Bradenton) and now there is no place else I would rather live. Just relating my own experience. Sometimes it's good to try new things, either you will love it or you may realize that you miss the old place If you make a move, hopefully you can come back to your old job in case the new place doesn't work out like you hoped.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by gypsychic; 12-09-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 10:49 AM

2,359 posts, read 4,494,855 times
Go for it. Theres some pretty nice stuff outside Florida. You can always go back if you cant make anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.