U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 07:27 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,572,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Distant second? That's funny, I would have said that about New York. Chicago is, hands-down, the best city for Christmas.

Christkindlmarkt, Zoo Lights in Lincoln Park, Skate on State at Millennium Park, the lights on the Magnificent Mile, and all the neighborhood lights and celebrations make this city incredible around Christmastime. If you have never been around the Old Water Tower at Christmas, you haven't experienced Christmas in the Great City of Chicago.

I'm sure NYC is great, but come on.
This is my first Christmas season in Chicago and no doubt they do a great job decorating for the season, NYC is on another level in my opinion. Very iconic; virtually every Christmas song and movie is inspired by Christmas time in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 09:33 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Another kind of off the beat and path

Christmas In Hershey! - YouTube

Christmas in Hershey - YouTube

Old 12-18-2011, 08:23 PM

223 posts, read 337,749 times
Was just in New York this weekend with my girlfriends and let me first say we had a wonderful time, as we always do when we travel there. I live in Chicago and will have to say this year I was very much dissapointed with the lack of window shopping and lights along 5th like they have on Mich Ave in Chicago. There just was not much there outside of Rockefeller plaza. Even the statue of liberty was not lit up with the christmas colors.

This year Chicago wins, for Christmas decorations, but New York is a great time to visit this time of the year, the absolute busiest time was this weekend with all the shoppers with one week before christmas.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 AM

56,015 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Was just in New York this weekend with my girlfriends and let me first say we had a wonderful time, as we always do when we travel there. I live in Chicago and will have to say this year I was very much dissapointed with the lack of window shopping and lights along 5th like they have on Mich Ave in Chicago. There just was not much there outside of Rockefeller plaza. Even the statue of liberty was not lit up with the christmas colors.

This year Chicago wins, for Christmas decorations, but New York is a great time to visit this time of the year, the absolute busiest time was this weekend with all the shoppers with one week before christmas.
?????

I was there yesterday. All of the stores along Fifth Avenue have fantastic window displays, as always, as well as elaborate light displays on the outside. Don't know what Fifth Avenue you were on.
And of course, there is Macy's, which is not on Fifth but has its own displays.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 AM

56,559 posts, read 80,847,919 times
We have this in Syracuse: syracuse.com : Lights on the Lake to open a week early

http://photos.syracuse.com/post-stan...tmas_tree.html

Museum Information - Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science &amp Technology

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau :: Events Calendar :: Syracuse, NY

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Dickens' Christmas in Skaneateles

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau :: Events Calendar :: Syracuse, NY

Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,459,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
?????

I was there yesterday. All of the stores along Fifth Avenue have fantastic window displays, as always, as well as elaborate light displays on the outside. Don't know what Fifth Avenue you were on.
And of course, there is Macy's, which is not on Fifth but has its own displays.
I was there this weekend too! I agree, 5th Ave looks like it does every year, light up and ready for the holidays.

I will say I was also in Chicago two weeks ago and Michigan Ave did look great. But Im agreeing with pretty muich everyone that NYC is Christmas Central in the US.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:34 AM

I am probably use to the trees being lit up along Mich Ave which is so pretty. Trust me, we walked all the way from Eatily on 5th up to CP. Was not impressed at all by the displays this year, some were more fashion than Chrismany(is this a word?!?). But of course, window displays is a matter of opinion. Don't get me wrong my girlfriends and I had a great time and new york is such a beautiful city. Mich Ave to me is still the most chrismany place(at least this year). Will be back to NYC next year!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I am probably use to the trees being lit up along Mich Ave which is so pretty. Trust me, we walked all the way from Eatily on 5th up to CP. Was not impressed at all by the displays this year, some were more fashion than Chrismany(is this a word?!?). But of course, window displays is a matter of opinion. Don't get me wrong my girlfriends and I had a great time and new york is such a beautiful city. Mich Ave to me is still the most chrismany place(at least this year). Will be back to NYC next year!
OT--did you eat at Eataly? I used to work on the other side of the park but the office moved to NJ and I never got there!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Even the statue of liberty was not lit up with the christmas colors.
I don't I think I've ever seen the Statue of Liberty lit up with Christmas Colors.

Anyway, the Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey, and New Jersey is broke!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:09 PM

LOL MightyQueen, I am getting too old. I meant empire state building, not statue of liberty. Yes, we did eat and have some wine at Eatily! That is an amazing store, I could spend an entire day, maybe week in that store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or