U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,676,118 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why people get think that NYC projects are safer than any other. A housing project is a housing project, where people have lived in generational poverty for years

NYC get's 500 murders a year, where do you think most come from?

Violence rises in New York City's housing developments, statistics show - New York Daily News years.

Quote:

"People are animals here," said Jason Miller, 17, an admitted member of the Inwood Jungle Kids. "They hurt each other for no reason. You have to hang with the right crew....................

Shaquin Cameron, 20, has her own strategy - she moved out and is majoring in sociology at SUNY Albany. Her friend, Ta'Neyah Frazier, 19, would love to follow suit. "I want to leave here too." she said. "It's all I've known. I wonder what life is like, life outside here."

Such an option is less likely for Daniel Lewis, who has lived in Harlem's Martin Luther King Jr. Houses for all but one of his 57 years.

The development is just a few blocks from the north end of Central Park, but his surroundings are anything but pastoral. Busted door locks invite troublemakers, gunshots are fairly common and kids can't play in the courtyard without fear.

"I don't even let my kids go to the window - and I live on the 12th floor," said Christina Andrades, 34, a stay-at-home mother of three. "The bullets fly around here."

Gangs of Brownsville - NYPOST.com

Quote:
Members of both gangs told The Post that they consider themselves the modern-day Bloods and Crips -- and sources say their violent feud has been raging for several years.

Both gangs specialize in robberies, dealing drugs and other small-time crimes -- but their rift regularly leads to gunfire.

Members of the crews live in and around two housing projects, Glenmore Plaza and the Howard Houses, and have such a tight grip on the neighborhood that residents are too scared to call 911 and feel that they are in danger every time they step outside.

It is a 24-hour fear, said resident Mellisa Storm, 33.

I dont feel safe here. This happened at 2:30 in the afternoon, the mom of three said of the Horton slaying. I never wanted to go out at night because of the violence, but its bad during the day now, too.

Another 33-year-old woman -- who was too scared to give her name because she didnt want to die -- said, Good people are dying here every day because gangs run the street. Its too dangerous to do anything out here even in daylight.

I pray every day that bullets dont fly through my window. Every day is a gift.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
My old neighborhood.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 AM

6,920 posts, read 12,374,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I don't understand why people get think that NYC projects are safer than any other. A housing project is a housing project, where people have lived in generational poverty for years

NYC get's 500 murders a year, where do you think most come from?

Violence rises in New York City's housing developments, statistics show - New York Daily News years.

Gangs of Brownsville - NYPOST.com

Quote:
The Authority is the largest public housing authority (PHA) in North America. In spite of many problems, it is still considered by experts to be the most successful big-city public housing authority in the country. Whereas most large public housing authorities in the United States (Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, etc.) have demolished their high-rise projects and in most cases replaced them with lower scale housing, New York's continue to be fully occupied. Most of its market-rate housing is also in high-rise buildings. New York also maintains a long waiting list for its apartments. Because of demand, the Housing Authority in recent years, has selected more "working families" from applicants to diversify the income structure of occupants of its housing, as had been typical of residents who first occupied the facilities. NYCHA's Conventional Public Housing Program has 181,581 apartments (as of July 20, 2005) in 345 developments throughout the city.
New York City Housing Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYC does have some outright terrible projects, but it also has some relatively okay ones... in most other places, public housing is by definition the ghetto.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
New York City Housing Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYC does have some outright terrible projects, but it also has some relatively okay ones... in most other places, public housing is by definition the ghetto.
Successful doesn't mean safe. They are referring to cleanliness, and that thousands of New Yorkers call it home. It is a successful program but it has a problem with crime.

I can maybe think of 10 projects in the entire city that I would consider good. This is out of hundreds.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Successful doesn't mean safe. They are referring to cleanliness, and that thousands of New Yorkers call it home. It is a successful program but it has a problem with crime.

I can maybe think of 10 projects in the entire city that I would consider good. This is out of hundreds.

I can't think of a single good project in Los Angeles, or Oakland, or San Francisco, or Chicago, or New Orleans, or anywhere else other than New York City. Quite a few of the projects I walked by and into in NYC - the Baruch Houses in particular - were very, very tame in comparison to what I'm used to in CA. In CA, you don't walk into the projects unless you're with somebody who lives there... that's a great way to end up dead.

Man killed visiting family is identified - SFGate

The same happened in Marin City last year but I can't find the article.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I can't think of a single good project in Los Angeles, or Oakland, or San Francisco, or Chicago, or New Orleans, or anywhere else other than New York City. Quite a few of the projects I walked by and into in NYC - the Baruch Houses in particular - were very, very tame in comparison to what I'm used to in CA. In CA, you don't walk into the projects unless you're with somebody who lives there... that's a great way to end up dead.

Man killed visiting family is identified - SFGate

The same happened in Marin City last year but I can't find the article.
Baruch houses are in a gentrified neighborhood, so it's no wonder they were tame. There are a lot of Chinese residents in those projects. Obviously, in a city with 400 nycha buildings, not all are going to be bad.

Had you step into any south Bronx, North east Bronx, Harlem, South Queens, and north east Brooklyn projects, you'd be singing a different tune. I've seen LA projects and they don't look bad.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
I've walked next, though not into, a very long stretch of projects in Bed-Stuy (almost a half mile long — I think they were Marcy). Didn't feel unsafe, though inside the projects might be different.

I think Cabrini-Green in Chicago were in a gentrified neighborhood but they were really unsafe.

For what it's worth, on another thread long ago, someone found the number murders in NYC housing projects. It was either 16 or 18 per 100,000. High, but lower than DC and Philadelphia overall.

Last edited by nei; 12-13-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Baruch houses are in a gentrified neighborhood, so it's no wonder they were tame. There are a lot of Chinese residents in those projects. Obviously, in a city with 400 nycha buildings, not all are going to be bad.

Had you step into any south Bronx, North east Bronx, Harlem, South Queens, and north east Brooklyn projects, you'd be singing a different tune. I've seen LA projects and they don't look bad.

I walked by and through plenty of projects in NYC... the bland houses (flushing), general grant houses (harlem/morningside), marcy houses (south williamsburg), etc. The only one that gave me pause was Marcy.

Point being, there is no such thing as a "tame" project in most other cities... the projects = the ghetto

Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I walked by and through plenty of projects in NYC... the bland houses (flushing), general grant houses (harlem/morningside), marcy houses (south williamsburg), etc. The only one that gave me pause was Marcy.

Point being, there is no such thing as a "tame" project in most other cities... the projects = the ghetto
All of the above are tame. Tell me when your able to walk through Milbrook (Mott Haven), Soundview (Soundview), Edenwald ( Wakefield), Brownsville (Brownsville), Pink (East NY), or 40's (South Jamaica).

I repeat. No other city has 400+ projects. If they did, there would be some tame ones. For NYC to have it's 400+ projects being bad, then a LARGE portion of NYC's population would have to be criminals. EVERYBODY in the projects would have to be young black or Hispanic males. How does that sound?

LA in particular would have many safe projects. It has a low African American population so adding more projects would mean other groups like Chinese (who have lower incarceration rates) would start calling the projects home.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,017,186 times
Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or