Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
All of the above are tame. Tell me when your able to walk through Milbrook (Mott Haven), Soundview (Soundview), Edenwald ( Wakefield), Brownsville (Brownsville), Pink (East NY), or 40's (South Jamaica).

I repeat. No other city has 400+ projects. If they did, there would be some tame ones. For NYC to have it's 400+ projects being bad, then a LARGE portion of NYC's population would have to be criminals. EVERYBODY in the projects would have to be young black or Hispanic males. How does that sound?

LA in particular would have many safe projects. It has a low African American population so adding more projects would mean other groups like Chinese (who have lower incarceration rates) would start calling the projects home.

Wow at your blatant grouping of black and hispanic males as criminals. If you think they're the only criminals in American projects then you haven't been to California...

And recall where I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
NYC does have some outright terrible projects, but it also has some relatively okay ones... in most other places, public housing is by definition the ghetto.
I didn't say that all - or even most - of NYC projects were tame, I said that in other places there are no tame projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've walked next, though not into, a very long stretch of projects in Bed-Stuy (almost a half mile long — I think they were Marcy). Didn't feel unsafe, though inside the projects might be different.

I think Cabrini-Green in Chicago were in a gentrified neighborhood but they were really unsafe.

For what it's worth, on another thread long ago, someone found the number murders in NYC housing projects. It was either 16 or 18 per 100,000. High, but lower than DC and Philadelphia overall.
Can you direct me to that? I wasn't able to calculate because I do not know how many people live in NYCHA.

Also, passing by and passing through are very different. All the dirt that is committed in the projects are inside. NYC projects are designed in a way that outsiders wouldn't know what is happening inside. If your in some kind of trouble inside the projects, you're pretty much screwed. The projects aren't "open" like in other neighborhoods. If you're from NYC, you'd know what I mean.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Wow at your blatant grouping of black and hispanic males as criminals. If you think they're the only criminals in American projects then you haven't been to California...

And recall where I said:

I didn't say that all - or even most - of NYC projects were tame, I said that in other places there are no tame projects.
No but blacks and Hispanics do commit more crimes. They have the highest incarceration rates in the country.

I find it hard to believe that every project in LA is no go, get killed on site type of project.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
No but blacks and Hispanics do commit more crimes. They have the highest incarceration rates in the country.

I find it hard to believe that every project in LA is no go, get killed on site type of project.

In California, the projects are always in poor neighborhoods, i.e. they wouldn't be in a gentrified neighborhood. You don't walk into these projects by accident. If you're dumb enough to be walking in them without an obvious purpose (repair man, cable guy, etc.) and you're not with anybody from there, you will be considered a threat. There's people in these projects who literally sit there all day and night seeing who's coming in and out of the projects... if you don't look familiar, something will happen to you.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Can you direct me to that? I wasn't able to calculate because I do not know how many people live in NYCHA.

Also, passing by and passing through are very different. All the dirt that is committed in the projects are inside. NYC projects are designed in a way that outsiders wouldn't know what is happening inside. If your in some kind of trouble inside the projects, you're pretty much screwed. The projects aren't "open" like in other neighborhoods. If you're from NYC, you'd know what I mean.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/18461181-post7.html

Yea, I know there's a difference between passing by and passing through. But I've heard that in some cities (Chicago) passing by projects is a bad idea. I haven't seen any non-NYC projects though.

I've passed through a project before (Fredrick Douglass). Depends on the location and how bad it is, but if there enough people around it doesn't feel too bad.

Last edited by nei; 12-13-2011 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/18461181-post7.html

Yea, I know passing by and passing through. But I've heard that in some cities (Chicago) passing by projects is a bad idea. I haven't seen any non-NYC projects though.

I've passed through a project before (Fredrick Douglass). Depends on the location and how bad it is, but if there enough people around it doesn't feel too bad.

This. The projects in cities like Chicago, LA, etc. are places that you don't want to be walking in the vicinity of.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
In California, the projects are always in poor neighborhoods, i.e. they wouldn't be in a gentrified neighborhood. You don't walk into these projects by accident. If you're dumb enough to be walking in them without an obvious purpose (repair man, cable guy, etc.) and you're not with anybody from there, you will be considered a threat. There's people in these projects who literally sit there all day and night seeing who's coming in and out of the projects... if you don't look familiar, something will happen to you.
Fair enough. NYC has projects everywhere. You even have some in Mid-town Manhattan. I just wanted to make clear that if you move to a NYC project from LA, New Orleans, or Philadelphia, it is not necessarily a step up. The very worst of NYC could hang with any project. However, not all of NYC projects are dangerous, because many are in nice areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei
Yea, I know there's a difference between passing by and passing through. But I've heard that in some cities (Chicago) passing by projects is a bad idea. I haven't seen any non-NYC projects though.

The murder rate is higher than I thought. It is more than 3 times the city's rate. For comparison, had they the same rate, New Orleans projects murder rate would be 180 per 100,000.

If you take just Brooklyn and the Bronx, the murder rate would be closer to 30.

Quote:
This. The projects in cities like Chicago, LA, etc. are places that you don't want to be walking in the vicinity of.
In many NYC projects, there are police towers right across the street. Some even have their own precincts. Therefore, it would be ok to walk outside of them.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faster_kitty_faster View Post
Growing up in Alton, IL and driving the metro area extensively along with living and visiting countless cities in the U.S. I would fully and completely agree that East St Louis is the most dangerous place in this county I've ever been to.

Julia

I've spent plenty of time in East St Louis, and to be honest, I felt much much more in danger when I was in Memphis.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
San Bernardino, Ca.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times
Parts of the East Side of Cleveland and the city of East Cleveland were a bit uncomfortable for me to walk around in at night considering I am white and was about 19 at the time. Got a lot of funny looks, but nobody messed with me or anything. It was more of just a feeling like I was out of my comfort zone. I firmly believe that just because an area is poor doesn't mean it has bad people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.