Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 PM

711 posts, read 1,491,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
East St Louis and Chester pa are two different types of ghettos
What do you mean by that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,820,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
What do you mean by that?
Like Chester is like a regular suburban neighborhood that got extremely run down.East St. Louis is like a third world country instead of nice streets with extremely run down houses East St. Louis is just seriously messed up.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Like Chester is like a regular suburban neighborhood that got extremely run down.East St. Louis is like a third world country instead of nice streets with extremely run down houses East St. Louis is just seriously messed up.
Thats wild, East St. Louis is not on google maps.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Built St. Louis | East St. Louis and Metro East

Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,655,999 times
Quote:
East St. Louis, similar to Chester, never was a regular suburb, it was an industrial city that was devastated by the de-industrialization of the country. Btw, you do know all of East St. Louis doesn't like alike right? It's layout is rather weird shaped and has several different areas, including areas of redevelopment that are very, very (read too) suburban that you would think were miles upon miles away. The attention it gets is def warranted, but like most who talk about it, I have to wonder... have you ever personally been there?

Quote:
Hmm, as I found that pretty crazy I thought I'd check it out too. I went down several streets and it worked for me, what streets did you try?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 AM

835 posts, read 1,036,409 times
I remember growing up in Newark,Nj. I thought I had seen it all until I took a trip to south Jersey and seen Camden.

That was an eye opener.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
East St. Louis, similar to Chester, never was a regular suburb, it was an industrial city that was devastated by the de-industrialization of the country. Btw, you do know all of East St. Louis doesn't like alike right? It's layout is rather weird shaped and has several different areas, including areas of redevelopment that are very, very (read too) suburban that you would think were miles upon miles away. The attention it gets is def warranted, but like most who talk about it, I have to wonder... have you ever personally been there?

Hmm, as I found that pretty crazy I thought I'd check it out too. I went down several streets and it worked for me, what streets did you try?
Post the google maps link.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,655,999 times
Quote:
Post the google maps link.
Tried more, it seems like all of the "major" streets (the yellow ones on google maps) are on there, but not others (the white ones).

Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,528,510 times
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea - We were warned not to leave the hotel for any reason. Police completely overwhelmed by powerful gangs. Stepping outside the confines of the hotel was a guarantee of getting mugged, raped, shot, or all of the above.

Asuncion, Paraguay - everyone armed to the teeth; 14-year-old boys carrying M-16s and opening fire whenever they like; men feeling up your boobs, and if you dare protest, they threaten you with a gun!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 PM

613 posts, read 1,051,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I've spent plenty of time in East St Louis, and to be honest, I felt much much more in danger when I was in Memphis.
Quick story
I was in Iraq in 2003 fire fights all the time was real bad. I went back in 2008 completely changed we walked around some towns without even carrying our weapons (crazy I know not too smart either). Some of the new guys were pi$$ed cuz they wanted to see some action and liked all the stories we told. Anyway when I got back me and my buddy from the second tour got a job with the federal police and the academy was in Little Rock, AR. On one of our breaks we went to Memphis I forget what street it was but it was one of the main ones with alot of bars that you could walk down with your drink. At the end of the night were leaving a bar and all of a sudden this gun battle erupts out of nowhere felt like Iraq the first time. When we got back to our car we were still a little freaked out but my buddy joked that he went all the way to Iraq to to be in a fire fight and all he had to do was go to Memphis. City was crazy hope I never have to go back there.

Last edited by steve1282; 07-21-2012 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.