Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 11:58 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,676,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Low income AA people in California tend to avoid the projests , and a lot of cities out here demolished their's projects and placed low income people in commercial apartment and detached houses.
True, Section 8 detached housing is becoming much more common than project housing. It doesn't make much sense to say that low income AA people tend to avoid the projects though... obviously those who can afford to avoid them will. Those who can't are the ones who are living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
The entire city of Detroit.
Outside of the old money neighborhoods, anyway. I knew it was no joke when about 18-19 years ago, there was a big bulletproof partition at the register of the Church's Chicken near my great grandmother's house(the area where Joy Road, Livernois and Grand River meet).

Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,644,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Never said this wasn't the case. However, for people who look like me - a young black male - these projects are exponentially more dangerous than they are for the typically older group of people who buy drugs, and particularly in comparison to those who are white. While most of the people in said projects are not involved in crime, the ones who are notice every person who walks in and out of them... the very sad reality is that their lives often depend on it. The "normal people" aren't the only ones who are afraid...

And let's be real, there aren't too many people getting "lost" in the projects... there are a lot of people who get a kick out of "slumming" though, particularly if they can do so in the relative safety of their car. Driving through a project vs. walking through it are two very, very different ballgames. And I already mentioned that people who work in the projects generally get a pass.

And "fantasy" it isn't... far from it. The reality is that my chances of being a victim of violent crime increase dramatically whether I'm in the projects 5 minutes or 5 hours. I don't even have to be the intended target... stray bullets are just as deadly.
lol man i dunno who you think buys drugs but we get rainbows of humanity and all ages. and a lot of people do wonder in by accident, some on purpose and they get out just fine.

as a black male you'll do just fine as i do. I can wonder in any project and be friends with anyone who wants to come up and get to know me. i never once gave such a second thought.

are you at more of a risk? i like to say it, people who get robbed tend to have put them in that situation. people who get the killed, the same.

rule of thumb, never let white people poison you to be scared of your own people. the stuff they put on tv is mostly just exaggeration and a lot of brothers like to play it up as well because everyone wants to be a badass. when i was a kid i used to think it was cool to be a thug and if you caught me talking i'd be saying all kinds about the streets. Now I don't give a **** anymore, nothing is scary about any project. there are a minority of bad folks, the rest are confused and putting on some image. An image the medial tells us we are so we try not to disappoint.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Outside of the old money neighborhoods, anyway. I knew it was no joke when about 18-19 years ago, there was a big bulletproof partition at the register of the Church's Chicken near my great grandmother's house(the area where Joy Road, Livernois and Grand River meet).
there is bullet proof in many fast food places in detroit. one in the kfc by my house right now. they do business like a bank...food and money through a slot/drawer lol taking precautions never hurt, but is detroit scary? not to me. i don't try to represent that lifestyle i don't deal with the consequences. like i said, every neighborhood in the usa is as safe as you make it. i could go to the burbs and get myself killed if i started enough fights. it's the same down here. just some people start more fights because they're bored....

Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 AM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Los Angeles and New York City were dangerous in the 1970's and 1980's ,
but not so much today , as a matter of fact they both are safe to NONE
Street People.
I visited NYC several times in the 80's, and it never occurred to me that it might be dangerous. I'd heard rumors about the subway being dangerous, but it was fine. Maybe it's certain neighborhoods in NYC?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
lol man i dunno who you think buys drugs but we get rainbows of humanity and all ages. and a lot of people do wonder in by accident, some on purpose and they get out just fine.

as a black male you'll do just fine as i do. I can wonder in any project and be friends with anyone who wants to come up and get to know me. i never once gave such a second thought.

are you at more of a risk? i like to say it, people who get robbed tend to have put them in that situation. people who get the killed, the same.

rule of thumb, never let white people poison you to be scared of your own people. the stuff they put on tv is mostly just exaggeration and a lot of brothers like to play it up as well because everyone wants to be a badass. when i was a kid i used to think it was cool to be a thug and if you caught me talking i'd be saying all kinds about the streets. Now I don't give a **** anymore, nothing is scary about any project. there are a minority of bad folks, the rest are confused and putting on some image. An image the medial tells us we are so we try not to disappoint.

You're not getting where I'm coming from. I do spend quite a bit of time in these areas (namely Acorn and sometimes the Ville in Oakland) and have befriended quite a few people in them. That being said, if I didn't know anybody in them I would be a lot more cautious about being there. And even though I do know quite a few people, the reality is that **** happens and bullets have no names... trouble has a way of finding people in the projects whether they "asked for it" or not. I am offended though that you take my comment - which is very much grounded in the reality I see personally and hear from people I know who live there - as some sort of proof that I'm scared of my own people rofl. I wasn't passing judgment, that was you who read my comment that way.

My comment was simply that I did not sense the same atmosphere of fear and tension in the air when I passed by some of the projects in NYC that is very much a part of all of the projects I've been to in CA.

EDIT: And by "drugs" I'm assuming you're not talking about weed/ex pills/etc... the people coming from outside of the projects to buy hard drugs tend to skew older over here.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
there is bullet proof in many fast food places in detroit. one in the kfc by my house right now. taking precautions never hurt, but is detroit scary? not to me. i don't try to represent that lifestyle i don't deal with the consequences. like i said, every neighborhood in the usa is as safe as you make it. i could go to the burbs and get myself killed if i started enough fights. it's the same down here. just some people start more fights because they're bored....
I agree and didn't feel uncomfortable at all. Initially, it surprised me, because even the roughest neighborhoods in the area I live in, businesses do not have partitions. Outside of that, it was no big deal.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
You're not getting where I'm coming from. I do spend quite a bit of time in these areas (namely Acorn and sometimes the Ville in Oakland) and have befriended quite a few people in them. That being said, if I didn't know anybody in them I would be a lot more cautious about being there. And even though I do know quite a few people, the reality is that **** happens and bullets have no names... trouble has a way of finding people in the projects whether they "asked for it" or not. I am offended though that you take my comment - which is very much grounded in the reality I see personally and hear from people I know who live there - as some sort of proof that I'm scared of my own people rofl. I wasn't passing judgment, that was you who read my comment that way.

My comment was simply that I did not sense the same atmosphere of fear and tension in the air when I passed by some of the projects in NYC that is very much a part of all of the projects I've been to in CA.
that's what i was saying. if you befriended me when i was a kid i'd talk your ear off about how real **** was but of course i did that because i thought i needed to give an image.

no bullets don't have names, they just have general directions. sometimes they miss. and that's always tragic. but here's the deal, sometimes cars lose control and hit people walking home from school. my cousin stole a motorcycle and ended up killing a family in a car (and survived himself but ****ed himself up real good). I don't see anyone making their image tough about dodging cars so i don't bother with dodging bullets. in reality there are little bullets to dodge. this is how scared people get, when someone shot up a neighbor's house and accidentally killed a baby girl (tragic) i heard people putting their kids in bathtubs (l0l) and when earthquakes those same people slept outside on their front lawns. but lol, i never heard anyone make their image around earthquakes. just guns, bullets and maybe knives. why is that?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
EDIT: And by "drugs" I'm assuming you're not talking about weed/ex pills/etc... the people coming from outside of the projects to buy hard drugs tend to skew older over here.
heroin and crack are such nasty **** i'll kill anyone who sells it to my kids. my good friend, who we go way back, can't shake it. he's still slamming even after he's had a stroke. can't move most of his arm but he has another one.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
that's what i was saying. if you befriended me when i was a kid i'd talk your ear off about how real **** was but of course i did that because i thought i needed to give an image.

no bullets don't have names, they just have general directions. sometimes they miss. and that's always tragic. but here's the deal, sometimes cars lose control and hit people walking home from school. my cousin stole a motorcycle and ended up killing a family in a car (and survived himself but ****ed himself up real good). I don't see anyone making their image tough about dodging cars so i don't bother with dodging bullets. in reality there are little bullets to dodge. this is how scared people get, when someone shot up a neighbor's house and accidentally killed a baby girl (tragic) i heard people putting their kids in bathtubs (l0l) and when earthquakes those same people slept outside on their front lawns. but lol, i never heard anyone make their image around earthquakes. just guns, bullets and maybe knives. why is that?

True, it's not like people are literally dodging bullets everyday no matter where you are. And like you were saying, if you live in the projects you know who's involved and who's not, where the involved people hang at what time of day, where and when violence is most likely to happen, etc. Very little of the crime is truly random.

Bullets are still bullets though... while you can't live your life in fear of "what if", the chances of "what if" occurring to increase very noticeably when you're in the projects.

And also, it's far from only "my people" living in the projects... for example you have latinos, asians, whites, etc. living in Acorn. My people don't scare me... it's what happens far too often to my people that does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.