U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,125,125 times

Advertisements

Places where you know something is going to happen (getting robbed/shot) just by walking down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 03:46 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,525,070 times
Chester PA is that place. Springfield MA in certain sections is also downright scary.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,404,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Places where you know something is going to happen (getting robbed/shot) just by walking down the street.

That only ever really happens in the projects, and that's because people will know if you don't live there (translation: don't belong). Otherwise, you'd have to be in a really podunk town for people to bother you just for walking by... it doesn't happen that way in the ghetto in big cities.

Of course, there's the topic of segregation... if you're white and going into a bad all-black neighborhood or vice-versa, people will probably notice you because you look different. Even with that, though, you probably won't be bothered unless you look like a target (wearing extremely expensive clothing/jewelry, your body language expresses your discomfort with being in the neighborhood, etc). The same would be true if you were black in a bad all-black neighborhood though; if you look like you don't belong there, people will notice, and all it takes is for one bad apple to try to take advantage of you.

The only kind of place where anybody is a target would be in the projects... given the nature of socioeconomics and the disproportionate percentage of unemployed people living in the projects, you have a much higher chance of running into someone who's desperately trying to make a buck whichever way it comes... even if it means making it off of somebody else.

IMO, people who name entire cities or neighborhoods probably have never been to them... unless said neighborhood is 100% projects, there's going to be good blocks and bad blocks just like anywhere else... the bad blocks tend to be where the projects are or on main streets at night, the two being where most of the illegal business happens.

I also don't get why people often name abandoned neighborhoods/blocks... IMO, this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=wicomi...79.52,,0,-1.93

Does not look half as scary crime-wise as this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=El+Pue...198.1,,0,-2.72

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 12-09-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,457,730 times
East St Louis,

Old 12-09-2011, 06:26 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,081,448 times
The places where I have been most intimidated was in Cincinnati just north of downtown, i believe riots occured in this area about a few years ago.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 PM

896 posts, read 936,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Chester PA is that place. Springfield MA in certain sections is also downright scary.
PFFFT Springfield MA is a walk in through the park LOL

Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 PM

7,842 posts, read 12,355,055 times
- Any Baltimore City neighborhood not close to the water (Inner Harbor, Federal Hill, Fells Point, and Canton are okay though still not perfectly safe)

- East LA
- Newark, NJ
- Camden, NJ
- Philadelphia

Most of east LA feels like you are in Mexico or another Third World country south of the border. Philadelphia and Newark look like Bosnia.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,587,624 times
My wife and I wandered by accident into this really bad area of Panama city. At least 80% of the people we walked by were armed to the teeth. When I say armed to the teeth I really mean it. Lots carrying machine guns, some with 2 or 3 pistols strapped on different parts or their anatomy. My wife is such a hoot. She is scared of very little and it was getting on her nerves I was so spooked. She said to me, "Why are you so nervous?" I said, "All these guns all over the place are making me nervous". She says, "Not me, If one of these guys starts to cause us trouble I'm thinking one of the other guys will shoot him,"LOL. Now is that optimistic thinking or what?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:00 PM

61 posts, read 100,624 times
Growing up in Alton, IL and driving the metro area extensively along with living and visiting countless cities in the U.S. I would fully and completely agree that East St Louis is the most dangerous place in this county I've ever been to.

Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
East St Louis,

Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,991,621 times
faster kitty, i had close who lived in godfrey, after leaving madisonville, ky. they later move to a suburb of alton, just before crossing the river. i liked alton, its size, and its proximity to st. louis proper. later, my friends move to the area where they were restoring many of the german and normandy houses. beautiful neighborhood in st. louis, just south of broad and st. xavier. my aunt and uncle lived in east st. louis years and years ago, when you could walk the streets at night and during daylight. they moved many, many years ago, but they love the bellefountain area. it is sad to see areas just go to nothing. think about all that beautiful architecture that was lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or