U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 02:02 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,896,442 times

Advertisements

So my area (which I'm in a mood of discontentment with) because in the 80s we had a great enclosed mall, but the city council killed it in a sense because they would not allow the mall to add a second department store, so that the mall could not succeed.

And right after the Gottschalks, Embassey Suites, and proposed JCPenney's enclosed mall shut down the birth of an outdoor mall was in place

In the 80s we had an outdoor mall, which later suffers the same fate of mall one.

Sear's, a movie theater, smaller stores, and Mervyn's anchored this mall.

Then this center remodeled over the years as they tore down the movie theater and put in a grocery market and 4 big box stores.

And Mervyn's became Kohl's.

And now the center has two department stores, a grocery market, 6 apparel stores which include Motherhood Maternity and Men's Warehouse and Tilly's and H&M and One Way Boardshop and Famous Footwear, 5 restaurants which are Panera Bread and Chipotle and McDonalds and Sushi Kokku and McDonalds, 9 other places which are two banks and Hallmark and Scottrade and See's Candy and AT&T and Starbucks and Super Cuts and Blockbuster, and 3 big box stores which are Big 5, Petco, and Best Buy at 315,000 sq. ft.

I would have preferred the old original enclosed mall.

Oh and since the mall closed most of the mall-chain stores located downtown and they keep building more mall-stores in downtown. Whole Foods, Gap, Banana Republic, Abercrombie and Fitch, and more are in downtown.

Its just sad to me that this city which used to be a 60s feeling town, now is a yuppie town with tech savy, rich people driving luxury European cars, shopping and dining at high end places downtown, and buying groceries at organic markets.

I'd rather shop at an enclosed mall vs. one of the newer malls.

Last edited by the city; 12-10-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.