U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM

116 posts, read 205,732 times

Advertisements

Okay so I've been doing a lot of research and asking questions about different cities, because I really want to venture out from Houston. I want a city that is very populous or densely populated with at least 500k people I guess. I'm really tired of Houston weather and want a place where it snows in the winter because I've never experienced a true winter with snow : ). Also a place where it doesn't get too hot in the summer because Houston gets scolding hot. I prefer a city that is racially integrated. I don't really mind if there are not a lot of black people, but I do want to feel welcomed and comfortable. So a place where every race gets along well and socialize. Where the blacks and whites and asians and hispanics and just everyone socializes without too much racial tension. Yes, I do realize that there is racism everywhere in the entire world. But in some places there is just more racial tension than others. Anyways, somewhere that is very pretty and has a city feel to it. Low crime and cost of living is important also. By the way I am 18 yrs old and I'm looking to transfer to a university.

And based on the things I've been reading on forums I have concluded that I probably don't want to go to places such as:

Detroit
Boston
St. Louis
Chicago
Portland
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
NYC seems great but sheesh it's so expensive
Oh and I will not go to Atlanta

They say these places are either super dangerous or super segregated. But hey, if you know these places to be different please school me lol.

Please let's not turn this into another race discussion PLEASEEEE. Let's just stay on topic and name some places that you think are good for that criteria. And I know that there is no place that's good for everything on my list, but if you know a city that holds most or some of these qualities please list it. So thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:36 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,728,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
Okay so I've been doing a lot of research and asking questions about different cities, because I really want to venture out from Houston. I want a city that is very populous or densely populated with at least 500k people I guess. I'm really tired of Houston weather and want a place where it snows in the winter because I've never experienced a true winter with snow : ). Also a place where it doesn't get too hot in the summer because Houston gets scolding hot. I prefer a city that is racially integrated. I don't really mind if there are not a lot of black people, but I do want to feel welcomed and comfortable. So a place where every race gets along well and socialize. Where the blacks and whites and asians and hispanics and just everyone socializes without too much racial tension. Yes, I do realize that there is racism everywhere in the entire world. But in some places there is just more racial tension than others. Anyways, somewhere that is very pretty and has a city feel to it. Low crime and cost of living is important also. By the way I am 18 yrs old and I'm looking to transfer to a university.

And based on the things I've been reading on forums I have concluded that I probably don't want to go to places such as:

Detroit
Boston
St. Louis
Chicago
Portland
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
NYC seems great but sheesh it's so expensive
Oh and I will not go to Atlanta

They say these places are either super dangerous or super segregated. But hey, if you know these places to be different please school me lol.

Please let's not turn this into another race discussion PLEASEEEE. Let's just stay on topic and name some places that you think are good for that criteria. And I know that there is no place that's good for everything on my list, but if you know a city that holds most or some of these qualities please list it. So thank you in advance

You eliminated some good choices!

Uh....I guess SF or Seattle . Maybe LA. You won't get more racially intergrated than Houston unless you go West.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:40 AM

lol which one's. I said if I'm wrong please school me : ). But like I said most people say these places are either really dangerous or not too racially tolerant.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
lol which one's. I said if I'm wrong please school me : ).
Wasn't saying you were wrong. Outside of segregation; lots of people owuld have suggested Chicago, NYC and probably Boston.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,770,530 times
^None of those cities you suggested get snowy winters. :P

Minneapolis
DC
Toronto (it's not in the US, but it would be a pretty easy transition)

And these were on your list of don'ts, but you should look at Boston, St. Louis, Chicago, and Philadelphia anyway.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post

Minneapolis
DC

And these were on your list of don'ts, but you should look at Boston, St. Louis, Chicago, and Philadelphia anyway.
ehh I've heard and read bad things about Boston, but you're right I should probably still consider it.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Wasn't saying you were wrong. Outside of segregation; lots of people owuld have suggested Chicago, NYC and probably Boston.
yea i might still consider Chicago. Thanks you guys for the input!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 AM

56,865 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Again, Columbus OH. Integrated, is known for being interracial couple friendly, has Ohio State and other nearby colleges, has Black people in positions of leadership, is the 17th biggest city in the US(give or take) and growing, gets snow and more. It is definitely worth a look. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Ohio

Ann Arbor MI is another place you may like, but has about 120,000 people.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post

Minneapolis
DC

True, but DC is pretty segregated.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,884,095 times
Maybe Raleigh or Charlotte NC? They both get some snow but not too much. Kind of steamy summers but not compared to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or