U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,320,161 times

Advertisements

I live in Delaware, which overall has relatively liberal social policies combined with generally low tax burden. Fairly, the state would probably best be characterised as moderate-progressive. It has a history of moderate conservatism and is especially conservative in its more rural southern (downstate) portion, apart from the beach communities. The state has now adopted a very robust same-sex civil unions law, as well as provisions for medical marijuana.

My question: of states with marriage equality or strong same-sex civil union laws and other progressive policies, which would have the lowest individual tax burdens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,353,448 times
Hmm, that's a very small number of states. I can tell you 2 states-- Nevada and Washington-- have laws that give same-sex couples the same right as hetero married couples (called civil unions though, not marriage), and neither state has an income tax.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,490,425 times
This one's easy since you are using same sex marriage as the defining element of socially liberal policy. It's obviously New Hampshire, which has no income tax at all.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,195,492 times
Nevada or New Hampshire may be number one here.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,948,307 times
You want fiscal conservatism and social liberalism (somewhat tempered)? Go for New Hampshire. It is also ranked number one in terms of personal freedom and same-sex marriage is part of the libertarian philosophy that predominates there most.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:54 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,320,161 times
We'll have to see, of course, if same-gender marriage survives the attacks against it in New Hampshire. As to tax burden, I don't think personal income tax is all that has to be considered. I used to live in Austin, TX which has far higher property taxes than anywhere in Delaware (this is now true for most of Texas), a sizeable sales tax, and a sh-tload of fees for all sorts of things. Delaware has a personal income tax, but low property taxes, no sales tax, and doesn't have the fee burdens that Texas has. So I'm not sure how New Hampshire and indeed counties in upstate New York with lower property tax assessments (due to low real estate prices) stack up in terms of overall tax burden. I'm happy to be informed! I'm also wondering how Maryland would look if they get either a robust civil union law or marriage equality...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
If you go with NH, places like Manchester, Durham, Hanover, Portsmouth, Dover, Rochester and Nashua, among some others.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,353,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
We'll have to see, of course, if same-gender marriage survives the attacks against it in New Hampshire. As to tax burden, I don't think personal income tax is all that has to be considered. I used to live in Austin, TX which has far higher property taxes than anywhere in Delaware (this is now true for most of Texas), a sizeable sales tax, and a sh-tload of fees for all sorts of things. Delaware has a personal income tax, but low property taxes, no sales tax, and doesn't have the fee burdens that Texas has. So I'm not sure how New Hampshire and indeed counties in upstate New York with lower property tax assessments (due to low real estate prices) stack up in terms of overall tax burden. I'm happy to be informed! I'm also wondering how Maryland would look if they get either a robust civil union law or marriage equality...
True, but I personally feel that I'd rather have higher taxation on the property I choose to buy than on my personal income.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
This may help between Upstate NY and NH: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Both have Ivy League schools.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Both have schools that play in the same league of like schools academically, with this urban neighborhood being close to the university in Vestal: West Side Neighborhood Association [WSNA]

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:27 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 12:07 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,801,051 times
Here's a ranking of states by overall tax burden: TAX BURDEN BY STATE.

Of the three states with the lowest burden, Alaska is a consistently red state, New Hampshire is a swing state and Delaware is consistently blue. I'll go with Delaware on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or