U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 06:14 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,463,105 times

Advertisements

I'm in the Lansing, Michigan area, and being a small market, there tends to be a lot of graduates within in the state just starting out on the TV newscasts, and as a result, a lot of them speak using the Inland North (Northern Cities Vowel Shift) accent. Although from what I can tell, the Northern Cities Vowel Shift actually seems weaker with younger people, although it is still somewhat noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:10 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
I wish our weathermen here in town would all speak like General Burkhalter, and use the word Dummkopf constantly.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:57 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,342 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Ixz3Uv5Bo

Old 03-01-2016, 12:24 PM

270 posts, read 223,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
most people here don't speak like that. only a minority.
Depends on your definition of "speak like that". I agree that a minority of Southern Californians speak with the most extreme version of the accent, but the mild to moderate versions are quite pervasive among women, including many of the female newscasters. I don't notice it much among men.

Heydayyy, interesting about the Canadian vowels. I have definitely noticed aboat, hoase, to-mow-row, etc. but hadn't noticed geem or peeny. Will have to listen for those now. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:32 AM

1,112 posts, read 695,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
Really? I thought Canada's vowels went the opposite way: bread and penny would be "brad and panny" in LA. Wouldn't Canada say "brid and pinny"? Or does Toronto go the other way?
I'm not sure, I just read a linguistics article that has some soundclouds taking about how California and Toronto had a similar shift going on. Here in Baltimore, a person saying "brid" might say "pehnny" because the pin/pen issue has to do with the weird effects nasal consonants (n and m) can have on preceding vowels.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:37 AM

1,112 posts, read 695,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northedge View Post
Well it's not really as simple as dropping the r at the end of every vowel. For one people mimicking it tend to emphasize the vowel inappropriately. For example they use the same "ah" in farm and at the end of the word ever. Except at the end of ever is more like "uh" of "uh huh", short and quick.

Another thing people get wrong is dropping every r. If the next word in the sentence starts with a vowel the r isn't dropper. So the famous saying actually sound more like "pahk the car in hahvahd yahd", the r in car survives because in starts with a vowel.
I know what you mean. I use " linking r's" and works say "pauk" but "carr in". The accent here doesn't have exact rhoticity rules, though. Fuh me the word "Hau(r)vud"(Harvard) seems to have a pawtially formed r in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.