U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,296,492 times

Advertisements

For a person that doesn't drink, drug, or go to nightclubs which do you think is more suitable for them: a large fast paced exciting city, or a more moderate sized slower paced one? The first impulse might to say the smaller city. You know, less temptations, more time to "inner reflect". But on the flip side, in a small city with little stimulation, drinking/drugs can make it more bearable. Think of those characters in King of the Hill. They were content with hanging out on the sidewalk, drinking beers and saying "yup". Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that if you took their beer away it would change things for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
What? Can't believe you referred to Hank Hill.

I love to drink and I'm from a small city, now that I'm in a huge city, I still love to drink.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,378,129 times
Big city that has way more activities other than drinking. A lot of small and large towns have nothing more to do for entertainment than go to bars. A big city will have tons more to do.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,204,339 times
Big city. Plenty to do if you don't drink (I don't drink)

Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
I'd think culture and religion would be a big factor. A city that's largely Mormon, Baptist, or Muslim would likely have plenty of non-drinking activities. Culturally I think I read somewhere that Southeast Asian cultures drink less. I'm not saying they're teetotalers, just that I think their culture's alcohol consumption was less than many other non-Muslim places.

All of that would seem to fit the following anyway.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/co5.html

Although a big city is good for avoiding things, if you wish, so it might be better for avoiding alcohol. The counties that have Baltimore, Charlotte, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Raleigh, Tampa and some NYC boroughs were on that list. Still I'd think a small-city that's Mormon, Bible-Belt, or Southeast Asian could be okay too.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 AM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Maybe a big city that's on the edge of nature. Somewhere like Denver, Portland, or Salt Lake City where one can have all the big city activity combined with nearby outdoor recreation (skiing/snowboarding, hiking etc.). Really I think it helps to advise exactly what kind of non drinking activities one is into to identify what big city, suburb, or small town would be compatible. It doesn't have to always boil down to having a big city being where all the action is. I'm sure some place like Telluride, Colorado or Santa Fe, New Mexico would have plenty to do for somebody that doesn't drink.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 AM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
For a person that doesn't drink, drug, or go to nightclubs which do you think is more suitable for them: a large fast paced exciting city, or a more moderate sized slower paced one? .
If you dont drink/party what difference does the size of the city make?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:16 AM

1,798 posts, read 2,296,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you dont drink/party what difference does the size of the city make?
Trust me I'm a step ahead of you. I've thought that too. There are alkies in big cities, sober people in small towns, and vice versa! Maybe when a person comes out of their fog they want something they didn't have before.

I took a trip out to Los Angeles earlier this year and really liked it. I got a motel in Hollywood and I would walk up and down Sunset and Hollywood Boulevard. I saw the people parting on Friday and Saturday nights but I felt like an outsider looking in. As a non drinker I just don't go to bars. However I still loved the energy of the area.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,406,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
Trust me I'm a step ahead of you. I've thought that too. There are alkies in big cities, sober people in small towns, and vice versa! Maybe when a person comes out of their fog they want something they didn't have before.

I took a trip out to Los Angeles earlier this year and really liked it. I got a motel in Hollywood and I would walk up and down Sunset and Hollywood Boulevard. I saw the people parting on Friday and Saturday nights but I felt like an outsider looking in. As a non drinker I just don't go to bars. However I still loved the energy of the area.
I lived for several years in the heart of Hollywood. I don't go to clubs or bars or out partying. There's far more to the neighborhood than the late night scene. Certainly never felt like an outsider. If anything, I think there's often tension between the residents and the clubs. Under the tourist veneer it's actually a real neighborhood, with residents of all backgrounds just doing their thing.

That said, I'm not a "non-drinker" (I sometimes have a glass of wine or a beer at home or a restaurant), so I have no idea what it would be like if you were, say, a recovering alcoholic or something, as yes, there is a lot of nightlife in the neighborhood, and I suppose it could prove to be a strong temptation.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 AM

4,263 posts, read 6,341,777 times
Choose the big city. If you're not into the drinking/drugging/partying scene a big city will have tons more things to do than a small town. All the urban attractions plus the ability to escape easily to beaches or mountains because the better transportation options. By that logic, the bigger the better for a non-drinker: NYC, Chicago, LA, Philly, etc. Plus, you may have to search for a while, but you will find non-drinkers that you can hang out with in greater numbers in a city with a big population. I agree that in small towns --even some small cities -- there's little else to do BUT drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or