U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What 2nd Person Plural do you (or y'all) Use?
Y'all 27 47.37%
Yous 4 7.02%
You 22 38.60%
Yinz 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:18 AM

7,826 posts, read 12,344,313 times

Advertisements

"You Guys" is not always grammatically correct. A guy is a man. It still sounds weird to me when a girls says to a group of girls "you guys". Its only correct IMO when you're talking to an all-male group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:23 AM

832 posts, read 1,380,794 times
Default you guys, y'all, all-y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
"You Guys" is not always grammatically correct. A guy is a man. It still sounds weird to me when a girls says to a group of girls "you guys". Its only correct IMO when you're talking to an all-male group.
I agree "you guys" wouldn't be best for this situation. Our plural pronouns should be gender-neutral (you, your, them, theirs, etc.). I know I'm guilty of using "you guys" all the time (and even "you guys'" as a plural possessive) but since moving to the south I've learned how awkward that sounds.

I like "y'all" and I wish my folks in the north would use it too; I try not to use it around them but it's so much easier! A few have said though that "y'all" is singular and "all y'all" is used for more than one person. Maybe that's only sometimes, not for everyone. I still can't get over "y'all" used for one person and "all y'all" sounds really odd.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,456,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Second person plural should be one word, and not gendered. You guys shouldn't be considered acceptable as a second person plural, it's more like an improvisation in the absence of one.
The post is not titled "which second person plural is correct?"

It is asking which one that people use.

A lot of people say "you guys," whether it is correct or not. Whether it sounds good or not. People say it. That's why I asked why it wasn't included. The poll is flawed.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:02 PM

766 posts, read 1,855,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The post is not titled "which second person plural is correct?"

It is asking which one that people use.

A lot of people say "you guys," whether it is correct or not. Whether it sounds good or not. People say it. That's why I asked why it wasn't included. The poll is flawed.
Ok, you're right, sorry, the poll should be "which one should we use" rather than "which one do you use".

Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM

3,509 posts, read 7,322,950 times
Y'all and you guys. Rarely you all.

You by itself sounds too personal, although technically is the most proper out of all the choices.

I never heard of Yinz- it's so foreign sounding.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,789,103 times
Y'all is the only one I use in speech. I say you all when I'm here sometimes.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:29 PM

766 posts, read 1,855,527 times
Yinz is Pittsburghese. It's a contraction of You ones

Old 12-15-2011, 02:35 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Default Map

Definitely "y'all" for me.

On a related tangent, here is a good and consise map on the topic (according to a dialect study done at Harvard University).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/Yall_US_Map.svg/800px- (broken link)

Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
I agree "you guys" wouldn't be best for this situation. Our plural pronouns should be gender-neutral (you, your, them, theirs, etc.). I know I'm guilty of using "you guys" all the time (and even "you guys'" as a plural possessive) but since moving to the south I've learned how awkward that sounds.

I like "y'all" and I wish my folks in the north would use it too; I try not to use it around them but it's so much easier! A few have said though that "y'all" is singular and "all y'all" is used for more than one person. Maybe that's only sometimes, not for everyone. I still can't get over "y'all" used for one person and "all y'all" sounds really odd.
Yeah, that's wrong. They're confused. "Y'all" is definitely plural, always. You can say it to one person, but it always refers to more than one person. So I could say to a friend, "What are y'all doing for Christmas?" and my friend would automatically assume that I was talking about him and his family because you never say "y'all" when referring to just one person.

"All y'all" is different. It's means "each and every one of you" Always used for more than 2 people.

For instance, if I say "All y'all are wearing the same shoes." I'm emphasizing that every single person is wearing the same shoes. It's more about emphasis, but it can also be a way to express "extra plural"

Last edited by Smtchll; 12-15-2011 at 11:27 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 11:56 PM

121 posts, read 388,179 times
You guys. I hate saying it, I wish I could learn something that sounded more "proper".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.