U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:29 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,489,810 times

Advertisements

Boston definitely has a good shot at this title. From my house, within a five minute walking radius, there are at least eight that I can think of, and I don't live in a student neighborhood, nor am I downtown. I don't think there is anything unusual about that pub density, either, and would expect at least that level pretty much anywhere in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 06:51 PM

891 posts, read 1,079,381 times
St. Louis!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
When I lived in Milwaukee years ago, it was said there were ~1200 bars in the city. Many of them were holes in the wall, some with as few as 8 stools. In the densest n'hoods there'd be at least one in every block. I think that due to the outflux of the Germans and Poles from the old city n'hoods there are probably fewer of these places now.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 PM

7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Baltimore has neighborhoods full of bars. Even the suburbs

Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,564,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Milwaukee, some of the bars are in the middle of the block and a lot of the corner bars in town have residents above the bar or use to be houses

Google Maps

You can't get much more neighborhood then that bar, it looks exactly like a house
I was just about to mention that. There are a ton of bars in the middle of a residential area and sometimes two bars across the street from one another in the middle of the block.

My guess Milwaukee and Chicago would be 1 and 2 in the country for this. People when they come to Milwaukee say they never seen a city with a bar on every corner.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,896,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Boston...as many neighborhood bars as there are neighborhood coffeeshops in Seattle/San Francisco.
Boston? Nah. Great city, but doesn'y excel in that category. I'd put San Francisco and Philly both ahead of Boston in terms of neighborhood bars.

To me, the best in the country for neighborhood bars - by far - is Chicago. They are everywhere, and the neighborhood bars in that city always have a ton of character,

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 AM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
Outside the Las Vegas Strip, living 3 miles east of it, there's 6 bars within walking distance. What a contrast to living in uptight, scarcity-of-local-bars Minneapolis!

I just wonder, if in the cities with more neighborhood bars, if there's fewer DUI arrests as a result of proximity to the bars?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 PM

134 posts, read 508,644 times
Pittsburgh has got to be one of the higher cities, the south side flats has many many bars.

According to this site there is 105 bars there BarSmart: Pittsburgh - Search By Region - All bars in the Southside area.

The population of south side flats is 5,726 and size .936 square miles
South Side Flats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

translating into a whopping 0.18 per capita and 112 per square mile

True, the rest of the city isn't that high, but that is a lot of bars....

Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Outside the Las Vegas Strip, living 3 miles east of it, there's 6 bars within walking distance. What a contrast to living in uptight, scarcity-of-local-bars Minneapolis!

I just wonder, if in the cities with more neighborhood bars, if there's fewer DUI arrests as a result of proximity to the bars?
You coulda just moved over to St Paul! More bars there (Irish/German/Catholic heritage vs. Scandinavian/Lutheran in Mpls). I mean, St Paul is no Milwaukee, but compared to Mpls, it's a regular Pottersville!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,896,676 times
I've got to add Portland to the discussion. Outside of the Midwest, I swear that town has more neighborhood bars than anywhere I've been in the country.

And I'm not talking about hipster bars (although there are plenty of those), I'm talking about bare bones, slot machines, cheap beer, liquor and food, TVs, a bunch of middle-aged folks who start drinking in the afternoon-type bars. There must be hundreds of bars that fit that description in Portland, sometimes it feels like one on every block - some of them even have naked women dancing in the corner (Portland has more strip clubs per capita than any city in the country - although many of them are just corner bars with cheap beer and naked women dancing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or