Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states are "Southern".
Alabama 8 17.78%
Georgia 3 6.67%
Florida 2 4.44%
Mississippi 7 15.56%
Tennessee 1 2.22%
Kentucky 2 4.44%
North Carolina 7 15.56%
South Carolina 1 2.22%
Virginia 2 4.44%
Louisiana 2 4.44%
Texas 5 11.11%
Oklahoma 1 2.22%
Missouri 0 0%
Maryland 4 8.89%
Delaware 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

Advertisements

As to differentiate from the "South-Eastern" thread, South East can have whole different connotations (like representing the Colonial South).

So to prevent confusion, what is cosidered a Southern state, that includes all former Confederate States (including Kentucky, but it's Confederate status is a can of worms I'm not willing to open. ) and Oklahoma.

Edit: Apparently I locked it in too quick, is there any way to make it multiple choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:32 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Every state on you list except for Delaware and Maryland.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Every state on you list except for Delaware and Maryland.
I disagree. I've lived here almost 26 years and have family from all over this state. Missouri is not Southern. It is Midwestern with Southern influences. I agree that Maryland and Delaware are not Southern...they belong in the Northeast by today's standard but they too have Southern influences. Every other state on this list belongs in the South.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:00 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times
Good Lord, how much do we have to debate this, all of them..........................

Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Why didn't you make this a multiple choice poll?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why didn't you make this a multiple choice poll?
I didn't notice until the last second to click the multiple options button, but by then it already loaded so....

Old 11-06-2011, 03:51 AM

52 posts, read 130,680 times
These ''Which state is southern or not southern questions'' is getting old and annoying. Each state south of the Mason-Dixon line is different in their own way.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carameldude View Post
These ''Which state is southern or not southern questions'' is getting old and annoying. Each state south of the Mason-Dixon line is different in their own way.
The Mason-Dixon line is not 100% accurate. First off, Missouri isn't even below the Mason-Dixon line. And the Mason-Dixon line, used as a divider between North and South, bisects Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and generally the only way people have extended it west of the Maryland-Pennsylvania border is extending it west to the Ohio River, and along the Ohio to where it flows into the Mississippi. In any case, the Mason-Dixon line in general is a poor measure of what is Southern and what isn't, at least as far as where it was originally drawn.

The southern states are Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina.

The Midwestern states are North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.

The Northeastern states are Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, and Delaware (plus the D.C. area).

Everything else is the west.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
As to differentiate from the "South-Eastern" thread, South East can have whole different connotations (like representing the Colonial South).

So to prevent confusion, what is cosidered a Southern state, that includes all former Confederate States (including Kentucky, but it's Confederate status is a can of worms I'm not willing to open. ) and Oklahoma.

Edit: Apparently I locked it in too quick, is there any way to make it multiple choice?
Not every state on the Confederate flag was legitimate...I agree Kentucky's Civil War status isn't what makes it southern...it is it's behavior after the Civil War that does. Kentucky went to great lengths to make it known it was a Southern state after the Civil War. Missouri, Maryland, and Delaware did just the opposite, cutting most of their Southern ties.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I disagree. I've lived here almost 26 years and have family from all over this state. Missouri is not Southern. It is Midwestern with Southern influences. I agree that Maryland and Delaware are not Southern...they belong in the Northeast by today's standard but they too have Southern influences. Every other state on this list belongs in the South.
I overlooked Missouri by mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.