U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2011, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
1,290 posts, read 1,266,199 times
Reputation: 1097

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
eek - not church going. I feel the more religious someone is, the less "wholesome" they become.
Boy, me too But this isn't the religion forum...

Must....Stay...On....Topic!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2011, 02:27 AM
 
Location: The better side of the Mason-Dixon Line
4,682 posts, read 7,334,382 times
Reputation: 2244
I think Lynchburg, Virginia is probablyu the most wholesome city I've been to. It has Liberty University, the largest evangelical university in the country and church plays a MAJOR role in life there, even by southern standards. Its also a classic all-American town.

Colorado Springs is also a very wholesome city. It has many evangelical churches and organizations, and also a very large military prescence including the US Air Force Academy, and the mix of Christians and military families creates a good atmosphere, plus Colorado in general has a relatively low crime rate. ITs also a very healthy area with a very outdoorsy population.

In terms of entire states, I think Kansas really conjures up images of "the real America". Runners up include Arkansas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Colorado, and Montana.

The least wholesome places I would say are New Jersey, South Florida, Philadelphia, and L.A. ( a mix of Hollywood types, OC types, illegla immigrants, and thugs!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 AM
 
16,318 posts, read 9,435,664 times
Reputation: 6228
Gee, if you think an evangelical university, the number of churches, etc. makes a place wholesome, I guess I wouldn't want to live in a wholesome place anymore

I have looked the word wholesome up in few dictionaries, seems I had confused it with another word before. Anyway, it seems to be associated with all sorts of health. So it should be easy to determine which places are wholesome. I guess it would be enough to simply ask where people are the happiest. And those might as well be very modern, atheist places...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Status: "That 80s Sound, ZTT Records!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Madison, WI Metro Area
15,342 posts, read 21,273,256 times
Reputation: 7744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Lynchburg, Virginia is probablyu the most wholesome city I've been to. It has Liberty University, the largest evangelical university in the country and church plays a MAJOR role in life there, even by southern standards. Its also a classic all-American town.

Colorado Springs is also a very wholesome city. It has many evangelical churches and organizations, and also a very large military prescence including the US Air Force Academy, and the mix of Christians and military families creates a good atmosphere, plus Colorado in general has a relatively low crime rate. ITs also a very healthy area with a very outdoorsy population.

In terms of entire states, I think Kansas really conjures up images of "the real America". Runners up include Arkansas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Colorado, and Montana.

The least wholesome places I would say are New Jersey, South Florida, Philadelphia, and L.A. ( a mix of Hollywood types, OC types, illegla immigrants, and thugs!!)
Kansas is about as far away from "real America" as you can get and is not at all representative of most of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Center City
3,958 posts, read 3,241,911 times
Reputation: 5018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Lynchburg, Virginia is probablyu the most wholesome city I've been to. It has Liberty University, the largest evangelical university in the country and church plays a MAJOR role in life there, even by southern standards. Its also a classic all-American town.

Colorado Springs is also a very wholesome city. It has many evangelical churches and organizations, and also a very large military prescence including the US Air Force Academy, and the mix of Christians and military families creates a good atmosphere, plus Colorado in general has a relatively low crime rate. ITs also a very healthy area with a very outdoorsy population.

In terms of entire states, I think Kansas really conjures up images of "the real America". Runners up include Arkansas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Colorado, and Montana.

The least wholesome places I would say are New Jersey, South Florida, Philadelphia, and L.A. ( a mix of Hollywood types, OC types, illegla immigrants, and thugs!!)
There's a difference between wholesome and insular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
3,394 posts, read 2,567,375 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You are insinuating that some states aren't as "All American" as others. That makes no sense.

Seems to make sense to the OP and others on this thread. I've seen several of your posts lately, and I'd say they come close to trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Status: ""My dad is better than your dad" - City vs City Forum" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Ohio; originally Oakland, CA
5,965 posts, read 3,570,813 times
Reputation: 5102
"Wholesome" and "all-American" tend to be buzzwords associated with white, middle-American, Christian family life. It's largely an illusion, always has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 AM
 
16,318 posts, read 9,435,664 times
Reputation: 6228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
"Wholesome" and "all-American" tend to be buzzwords associated with white, middle-American, Christian family life. It's largely an illusion, always has been.
My impression also...
Since it says you are from Oakland, do you consider Ohio more wholesome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
12,042 posts, read 12,687,923 times
Reputation: 3331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You are insinuating that some states aren't as "All American" as others. That makes no sense.
I think it does, only because there are cities and states in the country that have a high number or percentage of foregin born residents, thus don't really portray the "All-American" lifestyle (apple pie, etc). An example would be New York City, Miami, Los Angeles, Vegas, to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
 
1,732 posts, read 2,180,717 times
Reputation: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Utah and Salt Lake City.
Yes because one needs to be wholesome to run around in funny underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top