U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2011, 06:02 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,683,064 times
Reputation: 1866

Advertisements

Family friendly? Are you ready for this? Boston. Lots to do and see, superb educational opportunities, etc. I would put it against anywhere. After having visited the area in October, I like. New England as a whole has much to offer. Don't think so? Go up there and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
 
4,668 posts, read 6,109,166 times
Reputation: 5829
Most wholesome? Probably a suburb type town. They're pricey enough to keep out the riff raff and full of families who make a decent living.

San Fran probably wouldn't be considered wholesome, but Half Moon Bay about 15 miles south of S.F. is pretty damn wholesome.

Same with Naperville outside of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
Reputation: 5632
IMO, Ocean City, NJ. Everything about the place screams old fashioned wholesome family fun. It's a vacation town, it's a dry town (no alcohol), families ride bicycles to the ice cream shops, and spread blankets to watch the fireworks every weekend. Lawns are manicured and there's an American flag on nearly every porch. My family have been going there for generations because the place hasn't changed much in 50 years. It's "innocent," and for the older generations "nostalgic" in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 03:14 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,812 posts, read 12,316,247 times
Reputation: 4765
Kansas does conjures the real America image, at least that is the idea I got when visiting it two summers ago as part of a cross country trip. It IS the proverbial heartland, with small towns set amid cornfields and prairies, with water towers and church steeples, and the amber waves of grain. Southern Illinois and Missouri also have this image. Missouri and Oklahoma are also very all-American, heartland, wholesome states.

"Insular" isn't necessarily a bad thing and it can keep negative influences out, such as drugs, gangs, and crime. And it is my personal experience and observations that people who are more religious tend to be more wholesome than those who are less, and areas with large church attendance (or even synogogue attendance) tend to be more wholesome than areas where people are less involved in religious activites whichever religion that may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 AM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Reputation: 13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Kansas does conjures the real America image, at least that is the idea I got when visiting it two summers ago as part of a cross country trip. It IS the proverbial heartland, with small towns set amid cornfields and prairies, with water towers and church steeples, and the amber waves of grain. Southern Illinois and Missouri also have this image. Missouri and Oklahoma are also very all-American, heartland, wholesome states.

"Insular" isn't necessarily a bad thing and it can keep negative influences out, such as drugs, gangs, and crime. And it is my personal experience and observations that people who are more religious tend to be more wholesome than those who are less, and areas with large church attendance (or even synogogue attendance) tend to be more wholesome than areas where people are less involved in religious activites whichever religion that may be.
It doesn't really conjure what "real America" is because the percentage of the US population that actually reside in these places are extremely low. Your prior post also seem to indicate that you feel "wholesome" equals mostly southern or lower midwest. Insular isn't good because most young people leave these areas and never return because very few opportunities exist for them outside of agriculture. Insular also could mean fearing change, welcoming new ideas, and growing new jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 AM
 
Location: MINNESOTA
1,178 posts, read 2,358,211 times
Reputation: 499
To me this means Educated, Sophisticated, Intelligent, Healthy, Articulate, Clean, Proactive, Friendly...

And that puts my State at #1! Minnesota. Minnesota is consistently ranked as one of the best places for employment, education, health, cleanliness and sophistication. So, that makes it #1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,366 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Reputation: 8478
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It doesn't really conjure what "real America" is because the percentage of the US population that actually reside in these places are extremely low. Your prior post also seem to indicate that you feel "wholesome" equals mostly southern or lower midwest. Insular isn't good because most young people leave these areas and never return because very few opportunities exist for them outside of agriculture. Insular also could mean fearing change, welcoming new ideas, and growing new jobs.
I have never been to Kansas, but I doubt drug and other modern problems do not exist there these days. Even the Mexican cartels have outposts in and drug routes through Kansas and similarly remote states. And people have TV and Internet, they don't live isolated like on the moon anymore.

In many cases places considered wholesome are also more hypocritical and maybe even hostile towards newcomers. Not just in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,366 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Reputation: 8478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
To me this means Educated, Sophisticated, Intelligent, Healthy, Articulate, Clean, Proactive, Friendly...

And that puts my State at #1! Minnesota. Minnesota is consistently ranked as one of the best places for employment, education, health, cleanliness and sophistication. So, that makes it #1
Yes, those are properties that make for a functioning modern society.
If only it were not so cold in those states up there

I read a study somewhere on the 10 most intelligent places on Earth. Only one of them was in the US. It was Dubuque, Iowa

Madison, Wisconsin, also ranks very high in lots of studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 02:19 PM
 
5,682 posts, read 8,749,928 times
Reputation: 4911
I would look for a place that ranked high for HS graduation, PTA participation, health.

Low for divorce, VD, alchohol consumption, sex crimes, juvenile delinquents.

It would be interesting to see how/if that related to religious participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
1,309 posts, read 2,352,268 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
family-friendly? the states with the lowest divorce rate of course.

NY,NJ, PA, ID, MN, MA, CT

least family-friendly?

LA, MS, AL, GA, KY, TN, OK

Boy, this pretty much says it all. This pretty much flies in the face of the idea that the south/midwest is the most "family-friendly". Parents are significantly more likely to stay together in the northeast, which has some of the lowest church-attendance in the country. Whoops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top