U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 PM

643 posts, read 1,294,116 times

Advertisements

Seattle
Washington, DC/No Virginia
San Francisco/Bay Area
Chicago
Charlotte
Portland (Maine)
Anchorage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 03:34 AM

21,364 posts, read 21,922,845 times
ohhhhhhh like that, huh...

Harris
Bloomington, MN
San Diego
Daytona Beach
Olongopo
Virginia Beach
Palatka, FL
Orlando
Minneapolis
North Chicago

Old 12-17-2011, 05:34 AM

16 posts, read 29,881 times
I'd do it alphabetically.

Atlanta
Bucharest
Chicago
Chisinau
Cleveland
Detroit
Moscow
New Castle
Pittsburgh
Rogers City
South Bend/Mishawaka
Warsaw
Youngstown

I don't think I could rate all of them so easily. I miss them all!

Old 12-17-2011, 05:37 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,454,663 times
1. Spokane, WA: love it, want to go back someday

2. Everett, WA: summer home during childhood, almost perfect

3. Denver/Aurora, CO: meh, it has the snow/climate and plenty to do thing going for it. Otherwise, I like it less the more I stay.

4. Inland Empire, CA (Corona, Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga), raised in the area, I'm past the point of hating it, which would mean I don't hate it anymore, after all, it is "home".

5. Ridgecrest, CA: I've made peace with it, but I couldn't imagine myself ever living there again (climate reasons mostly).

Old 12-18-2011, 04:34 AM

9,782 posts, read 13,369,912 times
I'm only counting the big cities and not the smaller towns/cities...

1. SF
2. LA
3. Boston/Cambridge
4. NYC
5. Seattle

Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 AM

643 posts, read 1,294,116 times

Interesting list; I like it so I'm interested in knowing what has been your favorite smaller town or city?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,634 times
1. Ann Arbor, MI- lived there till middle school. Nothing but good memories. Beautiful. Lots of things to do. Cold winters and often gray. Beautiful in the Fall. Great pumpkin patch/apple orchard somewhere nearby.

2. Tempe, AZ - way too hot and there are maybe two seasons. There used to be a lot of things to do on the main street but I think a lot of that closed. Nonetheless there are fairly attractive places nearby, decent malls if that matters, and good places to eat (chompies I miss you). I hate stucco houses that all look alike though.

3. West Lafayette, IN - college town. Pretty but very humid so I could never straighten my hair. I remember stepping outside my dorm and feeling instantly drenched and wondering why I bothered showering. Still there were lots of trees and it was pretty in the Fall.

4. Long Beach, CA - downtown was just being revitalized when I lived there. Decent beaches nearby. Loved the shoreline area and Belmont Shores but way, way too expensive. And no seasons.

5. Fort Worth, TX - eh, it's Texas and it isn't Austin so it's not great. Hot summers and last winter it was freezing. Grass only is green for maybe three months. People are way too pushy about their religious and political beliefs. Mostly ugly, but great botanic garden and decent zoo.

6. Simi Valley, Ca - too expensive for what it is, but somewhat attractive in the hills. You can drive to Malibu so that is a plus.

7. San Jose, CA - not San Francisco and not close enough to be worth the extreme cost of living. Pretty. Crappy downtown with lots of empty storefronts. Felt like I was living in an upscale part of India or somewhere in Asia. Still if you had some time and a lot of patience you could drive somewhere attractive.

Last edited by 7States&Counting; 12-18-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,634 times
Oh, I forgot to mention my least favorite place I've lived: Las Vegas, NV. No one should raise kids there IMHO. Lived there middle through high school. There is no focus on academics there. I went to high school with strippers, drug dealers, and prostitute apprentices. And it is ugly. All of the houses look about the same unless you're in an older neighborhood and then they are really hidieous and not kept up. Yes there are mountains and the red rocks are pretty but it doesn't add enough to make up for everything else. And now it's really depressing there because of the massive foreclosures; seams like every third house is vacant.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:46 PM

9,782 posts, read 13,369,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post

Interesting list; I like it so I'm interested in knowing what has been your favorite smaller town or city?
Sure! My grandparents lived in a small town in Central Oregon called Madras. Population about 6k, but it was less than 4k through most of my childhood and youth.

Madras, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beautiful setting in the Oregon high desert. Amazingly clean air, water out of tap is good enough to bottle - very rich in minerals - nice and quiet. Basically, to a large degree, the antithesis of the cities I've chosen to live in as an adult. I went back up when my grandmother passed away about 6 years ago, and it'd grown quite a bit but most of the mom and pops were still there and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, we sold her house there because it would have been too much to keep up with me living in CA and the rest of my family in MA, but I still think it'd be nice to get a small home there to get away to a couple months out of the year - the solitude and scenery helps with my writing.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:58 PM

162 posts, read 321,570 times
Dana Point CA

Laguna Niguel CA

Walla Walla WA

Leander TX

I have lived in many other places, but this is a good representation for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or