U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM

2,198 posts, read 4,209,173 times

Advertisements

The places I've liked the most are not necessarily the places where I've been happiest. So, here are the places I like the most (people, amenities, weather, etc.); my ranking of the places based on my personal happiness at the time would be a bit different:

1. Madrid, Spain
2. Berkeley, CA
3. Palo Alto, CA
4. Columbus, OH
5. Milwaukee, WI
6. Buffalo, NY
7. Princeton, NJ
8. Birmingham, AL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:37 AM

643 posts, read 1,295,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Sure! My grandparents lived in a small town in Central Oregon called Madras. Population about 6k, but it was less than 4k through most of my childhood and youth.

Madras, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beautiful setting in the Oregon high desert. Amazingly clean air, water out of tap is good enough to bottle - very rich in minerals - nice and quiet. Basically, to a large degree, the antithesis of the cities I've chosen to live in as an adult. I went back up when my grandmother passed away about 6 years ago, and it'd grown quite a bit but most of the mom and pops were still there and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, we sold her house there because it would have been too much to keep up with me living in CA and the rest of my family in MA, but I still think it'd be nice to get a small home there to get away to a couple months out of the year - the solitude and scenery helps with my writing.
Thanks, 415. I've spent some time in Oregon, too. Not sure the weather is my cup of tea. I know it's one of the top states right now for gaining (vs loosing) population. Sometimes I think the memories of our childhood put a beautiful shade on how desireable a place is. I know I thought my grandparents house location on a lake in Washington state was magical and I was hysterical when it was sold to someone other than myself. Yet when visiting the area and driving by it a few years ago, it looked just okay to me, even though it hasn't changed one bit. If I were a writer, however -- I might have still thought it was a "magical" locale. Different perspectives at different times in our lives. Sounds like you have a hideaway, and one with good memories, in your future. How nice is that~!

Knowing places where we want to go is why I read city data. I want to find places that belong on my bucket list -- not for visiting -- but for living part or full time.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 AM

643 posts, read 1,295,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
The places I've liked the most are not necessarily the places where I've been happiest.
That's a huge statement; one that gives me pause. I wonder how many of us who have already posted our lists feel the same way. I do. I just never really contemplated the difference. Thanks for a great post.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:23 AM

16 posts, read 29,916 times
I agree with that, 100%. It was a great post.

But I also miss all of the places that I've lived. Even the places where I can say that I wasn't really happy, I still miss for various reasons.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:54 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,398,988 times
Ignore

Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 PM

9,458 posts, read 18,386,007 times
I'll write about Mass some other time, I have Seattle on my mind today.

Seattle: (2000-2005) What I really liked about living in Seattle is it struck a perfect balance between urban density and suburban elbow room. I lived on Capital Hill (hence my C-D alias) and I was able to walk to coffee shops (had at least 10 different ones to choose from), many different kinds of restaurants (from Sushi to Ehthiopian to Philly cheesesteaks), bars, and several grocery stores. Downtown was accessible by walking and it actually feels like a real major city downtown and all the cosmopolitan amenities that go with it. It had big city excitement without being too big and abrasive, it’s not a ratrace. I also felt very safe pretty much at all times in Seattle, hardly ever felt threatened walking around at night.

Many of Seattle's neighborhoods are an urban/suburban hybrid with a mixture of density, walkable commercial districts with small and large businesses, but also plenty of single family homes, and lots and lots of trees and parkland. The city is very green year round and all the abundant vegetation there made it feel like an urban forest. I call it my own urban utopia, a nice happy medium between over densified Boston/SF/NY and oversprawled Phoenix or Dallas. Seattle had a lot of character so I never got bored with it. I was reluctant to leave but had to move back east to be closer to family.

I don't think I would live there again though; it was a good place to spend my 20's. I just don't think I could take the climate there again. This is such a sensitive topic with so many Seattleites in which they'll get defensive about, but honestly seeing weeks going into months of cloudlocked, partly cloudy, then again more overcast clouds in the sky kinda sucks and it did affect my psyche at times. Only thing is I'd get fooled by summers there because with the surrounding mountains, bodies of water, lack of humidity and perfect summer temps I'd swear it was the most beautiful city in the world on some days. The remaining 6-9 months (depending on the year) is too damned overcast and cloudy, it's depressing.

Seattle is a polite city, but it really isn't a very friendly one. It does have a fairly reserved population. There's far too much homelessness there, Mass Transit while improving as of late, still leaves a lot to be desired which is strange because the city’s layout is totally conducive to it. Developing more light rails and subways has a long way to go beyond the Sea-Tac light rail line and U district extension under construction, very underserved city for rail transit. Yes I rode the bus there sometimes but a bus is still a bus, I'd rather drive. It's hipster scene and counter culture would wear thin on me now if I went back. Again, I'm glad to have spent my twenties there filled with many good memories that I'm especially grateful for including a few lifelong friends but I'd rather live somewhere else though, more sunny next time.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 12-20-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 11:07 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,491,410 times
1. Orlando, FL (Great place. Reasonably priced, great weather, tons to do. One of my top 3 cities overall and the only one I've lived in so far. The other two are Austin and San Diego.)

2. Houston, TX (Too young to remember much about when I lived there, but I really liked my recent trips to Texas.)

3. Grand Rapids, MI (Great people. Lots of cool places to go. Winter was bad though).

4. Fort Myers, FL (Outstanding weather. Great infrastructure. Good beaches. Really laid back place and very relaxing. Problem is there is no economy and I'm in my 20's, not my 70's. Will be leaving soon.)

5. Detroit, MI (Found the people unfriendly. Bad weather. Terrible infrastructure, completley unacceptable. Activities were lacking. Economy was bad. Left the day after I graduated high school and haven't looked back.)

Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 AM

16,883 posts, read 7,509,273 times
Been a lot of places, some were just OK. Others sucked, and rather than denigrate them I'll leave them be... It's so subjective anyway, and one person's heaven is another's hell.

1. Cocoa Beach, FL. Mid 1980s, lived in a bohemian duplex on the beach. $300/month. A bar next door. On the beach. A taco stand next door, the Banana River right outside. On the beach. For $300/month how could you go wrong?

2. Tucson, AZ. Great city with a strong cultural and historical awareness. Awesome Mexican food. Better weather than Phoenix. Has fallen on tough times lately, and getting around on the surface streets isn't easy (no freeways, badly timed lights).

3. Alexandria, LA. The other Alexandria, USA. Deep South feel, as well as Deep South summers. Listed because it is the friendliest locale I've ever lived in. A couple hours from New Orleans.

4. Enid, OK. People argue about its lack of amenities, Southern Plains weather, etc. Don't care, it's one of those places that really grows on you.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM

5,182 posts, read 6,383,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Newport Beach: A
Huntington Beach: A
Port Jefferson, NY: A

Sound Beach, NY: B+
Pittsburgh, PA: B +
Charleston, WV: B +

Boston: B
Washington: B
NYC: B

Los Angeles: C

Lake Saint Louis C- (if it wasn't in Missouri: B)

"Charleston, WV: B +" is the biggest surprise on the entire thread.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:51 AM

16 posts, read 29,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
"Charleston, WV: B +" is the biggest surprise on the entire thread.
But it's a certified business location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or