U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:14 PM

638 posts, read 479,323 times

Advertisements

1.) Maui
2.) Maui
3.) Maui
4.) Maui
5.) Maui
6.) Maui
7.) Maui
8.) Maui
9.) Maui
10.) Maui

I can't give Maui a letter grade, because it's just such a serene, magical, medicinal, warm, sunny paradise that it would be misleading to "grade" it.

11.) San Antonio (A) - So festive, with amazing weather and tons of fun stuff to do.
12.) Los Angeles (B) - I'd give it an "A," if it weren't for the horrible traffic.
13.) Austin (B) - Cool city. Lots of music. Plenty of places to drink beer and watch football.
14.) Portland (B) - Incredibly cool city. I'd give it an "A+," if it weren't for the constant rain.
15.) Sacramento (C) - Pretty boring city, but nice weather.
16.) Tacoma (D) - Would be an "F," if it weren't that Seattle's nearby.
17.) Salem (D) - There's no good reason why anyone should want to live here.

Last edited by rpc1; 12-26-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 02:45 PM

44 posts, read 76,885 times
1) Bedford, NH

2) Carrollton, GA

3) Peachtree City, GA

Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,851,659 times
Well, obviously this is subjective based on our own personal criteria......so, here is mine:
1. Raleigh
2. Miami Beach
3. Los Gatos, CA
4. Corvallis, OR (though I don't really remember it)
5. Houston

Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 AM

538 posts, read 2,231,236 times
1. Vermont- IMO, the only place in the US that has figured out how to balance growth with preservation perfectly. Clean environment. Business and environmental issues balanced well. No billboards marring the highways. Most downtowns fully intact and well kept- very little sprawl and lots of mom and pops. Like old school America probably was in the 1950's. And how, despite how rural it is, you'd be hard pressed to find an aggressive redneck.

2. Western VA- particularly the areas around Charlottesville. Kinda sprawled out and can be really humid, but tons of trees and really nice people. Mountain vistas beautiful.

3. Northwestern NJ- still lots of open space, generally educated people, can be snobby, and way, way overpriced in every respect. Decent place to live if you can afford it.

4. Southeastern PA- people not super friendly. Philly and its countryside = people with serious attitude. But lots to do, Philly can be fun occasionally, and its much much easier to get in and around Philly than NYC.

5. Northeastern PA- not a good place to live. Aggressive, uneducated people and thugs mostly. Specifically Northampton and Monroe counties. Pike and Wayne are better. This area is one of the few areas in this country that ACTIVELY sought out the worst parts of the 5 boroughs of NYC, and sold them on buying cheap, cheap homes back in the 80's. Problem is, there are no jobs here, so everyone commutes to NYC or NJ for work. Makes people bitter.

6. Long Island, NY: to me, very claustrophobic. Cliquish and materialistic. You are judged here on what you make, your car, your clothes, and your job. And far too overdeveloped for me.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
1. Norfolk/Hampton, VA LIKED (1992-2004) (very laid back, decent climate, small-town feel even being a mid sized city.)
2. Louisville, KY LIKED (current) (laid back, low COL, great restaurant scene, don't like lack of sunny days between Nov-May, lack of quality jobs, plan to leave after graduating in May)
3. Vine Grove, KY PUSH (2010-2011) (small laid back town, not much to do)
4. Alexandria, VA HATED (2004-2010) (too much traffic, snooty stuck up population, very expensive)
Hi, I am moving to the FT Knox area within the next couple of months and I am finding it difficult to decide where to purchase a home. I noticed that you have lived in vine grove and it was one area we were looking at. Can you tell me more about the area, i.e diversity, traffic, crime, school system etc. We are trying to decide between vine grove and elizabethtown.
Thanks

BTW what does PUSH mean

Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,928,047 times
In alphabetic order but rated by number with 1 being the favorite and 8 being the least favorite.
6. Charlotte, N. C. (Several Different Places) Never felt at home anywhere in Charlotte. We lived West, North, Northeast and in Myers Park. Myers Park was the best area in my opinion. That was our first rented home in Charlotte. We should never have purchased a house in Charlotte. Big Mistake!
4. Denver, Colorado (My husband attended school there and we enjoyed the weekends touring the area.)
5. Fayetteville, N. C. (An education I could have done without.)
3. Longview, N. C. (Wonderful loving people who cared for their neighbors.)
2. Millers Creek, N. C. (Wonderful childhood, but it would be difficult for me to go home after living away so long. These are the nicest people I have ever met in my lifetime. They would be shocked to see how much I have changed. And some of you think I am conservative. The At Home in Mitford is written about the Blowing Rock area, but they could have been written about Millers Creek which is about 30 minutes down the mountain from Blowing Rock. The books are fictional, but the author has captured the lives of the people in this area and they are not fictional. They are for real. I am just talking about the first book. I didn't read any more of them because to me they were boring. It was just like normal everyday life.)
8. Orlando, Florida (Another school location for my husband. Different but it was not home. We both say we haven’t lost a thing in Florida.)
7. Statesville, N. C. (Small town living in the shadow of Charlotte with an inferior attitude.)
1. Union County, N. C. (When people move to Sweet Union County they never leave. Well most people don't.)

Last edited by NCN; 05-20-2012 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,574,852 times
1) 11/10 Los Angeles: God wanted to try out SimCity and LA is what he created
2) 9/10 San Francisco: Beautiful place, just a little wet and chilly sometimes lol
3) 8/10 Vacaville, CA: Awesome place, great memories...actually went back a year ago. It's sure changed!
4) 6/10 Ramadi, Iraq: Phoenix + LA Riots = This place.
5) 5/10 El Paso, TX: Get me out of here!
6) 0/10 Afghanistan: Don't ask.
7) -1/10 San Bernardino, CA:

Old 05-20-2012, 09:29 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,248,108 times
To date:

1. Mid-Peninsula, San Francisco Bay Area: B+/B
2. North Peninsula, San Francisco Bay Area: B
3. Frankfort area, KY: C+
4. Northern Kentucky suburb near Cincinnati: C-/D+
5. Louisville, KY: F

I wish I had an "A" community that I just 100% loved, but alas I don't.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 05-20-2012 at 09:57 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,681,653 times
For US locations only:
1. Los Angeles, CA
2. Atlanta, GA
3. Bergen County, NJ (NYC metro)

100 (tie). Anywhere else.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,530,890 times
#1 St. Louis
#2 London

#3 Brisbane, Australia

#4 Jacksonville, NC (waaaaay down the bottom... way way waaaay down the bottom)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or