U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,392,457 times

Advertisements

1) Sydney
2) Vancouver
3) London
4) San Diego
5) Boston
6) Buffalo

And last and certainly least ... Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,180,387 times
I've enjoyed reading other people's lists! It's interesting to me how many of you only list cities. Have you really only lived in cities?

Well, obviously there's a lot of factors in my ranking of places other than the place itself. Did I like the job? The school? Did I find a good home in which to live? Was I in a rowdy phase of life or a quiet phase, and did the place match that phase? Was the community fun for a time but not a place I wanted to stay long-term? And some places are hard to compare - a college town v a large city?

So here's my list, best to worst, by category:

Big Cities:
NYC
Salt Lake City
Seattle
Milwaukee
Los Angeles

College Towns:
Iowa City IA
Ames IA
Lawrence KS
Bloomington IN
Ithaca NY
Norman OK
Madison WI

Small Cities:
Olympia WA
Rochester MN
Fort Smith AR
Wichita KS

Small Towns:
Alpine TX
Oskaloosa IA
Biwabik MN
Cooperstown NY
Sand Springs OK
Fort Scott KS
Eveleth MN
Texarkana TX

In general I've found that the more Baptists there are in a community the worse place it is to live.

My favorite place ever to have lived was Alpine, TX. The worst (by far) was Wichita, KS. And though I had a good time in LA, it was an awful place to live - I felt physically ill most of the time due to the air pollution.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 AM

5,549 posts, read 6,977,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I've enjoyed reading other people's lists! It's interesting to me how many of you only list cities. Have you really only lived in cities?

Well, obviously there's a lot of factors in my ranking of places other than the place itself. Did I like the job? The school? Did I find a good home in which to live? Was I in a rowdy phase of life or a quiet phase, and did the place match that phase? Was the community fun for a time but not a place I wanted to stay long-term? And some places are hard to compare - a college town v a large city?

So here's my list, best to worst, by category:

Big Cities:
NYC
Salt Lake City
Seattle
Milwaukee
Los Angeles

College Towns:
Iowa City IA
Ames IA
Lawrence KS
Bloomington IN
Ithaca NY
Norman OK
Madison WI

Small Cities:
Olympia WA
Rochester MN
Fort Smith AR
Wichita KS

Small Towns:
Alpine TX
Oskaloosa IA
Biwabik MN
Cooperstown NY
Sand Springs OK
Fort Scott KS
Eveleth MN
Texarkana TX

In general I've found that the more Baptists there are in a community the worse place it is to live.

My favorite place ever to have lived was Alpine, TX. The worst (by far) was Wichita, KS. And though I had a good time in LA, it was an awful place to live - I felt physically ill most of the time due to the air pollution.

What is so bad about Madison, Wi ?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,135,719 times
601halfdozenoftheother:

You've lived in THAT many places?!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,604,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What is so bad about Madison, Wi ?
I'm waiting for an answer, too, but I assume it would be the annoying "green" liberals. Unless I'm corrected by a better inland alternative, I think Madison would be the Berkeley of the Midwest.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:25 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,121,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
1) 11/10 Los Angeles: God wanted to try out SimCity and LA is what he created
2) 9/10 San Francisco: Beautiful place, just a little wet and chilly sometimes lol
3) 8/10 Vacaville, CA: Awesome place, great memories...actually went back a year ago. It's sure changed!
4) 6/10 Ramadi, Iraq: Phoenix + LA Riots = This place.
5) 5/10 El Paso, TX: Get me out of here!
6) 0/10 Afghanistan: Don't ask.
7) -1/10 San Bernardino, CA:
San Bernardino is worse than Afghanistan?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 AM

6,433 posts, read 9,951,901 times
1. Chicago, IL
2. San Antonio, TX
3. West Palm Beach, FL
4. Boynton Beach, FL
5. Tallahassee, FL
6. Montreal, Canada
7. Orlando, FL
8. Lehigh Acres, FL

Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,180,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
601halfdozenoftheother:

You've lived in THAT many places?!
Yep! I tend to move every 2 - 4 years. I'm fortunate to work in a field in which I can always find a job. I don't make much money, but I love my work, and I've enjoyed living in lots of different kinds of places.

I didn't like living Madison WI at all, even though when I visited there in the early 80s I loved it. Madison is living on it's reputation from long ago - now it's just a dirty, polluted, overpopulated city.

My job was right downtown, and it was so dirty, with too many people and cars. The area between the Capital and the U, which in the 80s was full of unique privately owned stores, was full of cookie cutter mass produced c...p. Madison has an ordinance that property owners had to clean the grafitti off of their own buildings, so I was out with awful cleanser in all temperatures trying to get the latest tags off our building (no I didn't own it - just managed it.)

Prices were high, quality of life was low. I'm a liberal by the way, so I would have enjoyed the political sphere if it had any bearing at all on the daily life of a working stiff. But it didn't.

I love college towns. But Madison really isn't one anymore.

But don't get me wrong - Madison is heaven compared to Wichita, KS!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM

6,566 posts, read 8,096,476 times
Plano/Dallas
Houston
Stillwater Ok
Pittsburgh
New Orleans

Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,604,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Plano/Dallas
Houston
Stillwater Ok
Pittsburgh
New Orleans
Is your positioning of Pittsburgh weather related? How cold does it get? To the point that driving around in winter is hazardous? Of the cities listed, it is the most aesthetically appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or