U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM

6,579 posts, read 8,116,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Is your positioning of Pittsburgh weather related? How cold does it get? To the point that driving around in winter is hazardous? Of the cities listed, it is the most aesthetically appealing.
Several factors including the long winter weather and many gray days also. The hills made it hard to get around and I found it less welcoming of outsiders from Tx than NJ but just slightly so. Not a lot going for it in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,790,372 times
Default college towns-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yep! I tend to move every 2 - 4 years. I'm fortunate to work in a field in which I can always find a job. I don't make much money, but I love my work, and I've enjoyed living in lots of different kinds of places.

I didn't like living Madison WI at all, even though when I visited there in the early 80s I loved it. Madison is living on it's reputation from long ago - now it's just a dirty, polluted, overpopulated city.

My job was right downtown, and it was so dirty, with too many people and cars. The area between the Capital and the U, which in the 80s was full of unique privately owned stores, was full of cookie cutter mass produced c...p. Madison has an ordinance that property owners had to clean the grafitti off of their own buildings, so I was out with awful cleanser in all temperatures trying to get the latest tags off our building (no I didn't own it - just managed it.)

Prices were high, quality of life was low. I'm a liberal by the way, so I would have enjoyed the political sphere if it had any bearing at all on the daily life of a working stiff. But it didn't.

I love college towns. But Madison really isn't one anymore.

But don't get me wrong - Madison is heaven compared to Wichita, KS!
You are lucky to move so much with your work. What other college towns in the Northeast did you like?.

In my order of best to worst:

1.Surfside Fl

2.Bay Harbor Islands FL

3.Boca Raton Fl

4.Boston MA

5.Syracuse NY

6.Lincoln, Rhode Island

7.Nassau County Long Island (enough said. blech)

8.NE Tenn. OK college town but not much going on

Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,657,752 times
1) Sedona area- (beautiful weather endless climbing opps in the area)
2) Houston- great fun city with endless opportunity (women culture and jobs that is)
3) College Station - fun for a college student for sure

4) Rochester NY - grew up there but don't miss it

5) Raleigh- every loser who could not make it in NY ended up here in this suburban hellhole filled with losers..... one week staying with a friend convinced me this was the dump of dumps

Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,455,470 times
1. Grand Rapids, MI

2. Charlotte, MI

3. Clarksville, MI

4. Ionia, MI

5. Allendale, MI

6. East Lansing, MI

Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,140,873 times
  1. New York, NY -- Very exciting place to live; feels like you're in the center of the world, even though I felt kind of poor, due to the high cost of living. Many of my best memories are from here though. It is, however, too congested, noisy and stressful. And it's not as glamorous as one would think. Lots of weird people walking the streets. Would never live there again, but still a great experience of a lifetime. Rating: 8/10
  2. Plainville, CT -- I've only been here for 5 months, but it's an average middle class town with good access to shopping and amenities. Affordable housing and easy to get anywhere within central CT. Still, it's just an ordinary town, but the people are solidly middle class, with almost no ghetto element. Rating: 7/10
  3. Vernon, CT -- Average middle class town with a lot of apartment housing and easy access to shopping and amenities. Relatively affordable, but nothing too exciting about it. It has a blue collar feel to it, which was a little strange for me being a white collar professional, but the people were nice. Rating: 6/10
  4. Granby, CT -- Affluent, family oriented suburb with low population density and less traffic. Phenomenal place to raise a family, but very boring for someone in their early-mid-twenties. Not convenient enough to major shopping. Rating: 6/10
  5. Middletown, CT -- Lots of young people, college students and singles, with a somewhat vibrant downtown. As an introvert, I didn't care much for those things, though. Traffic was HORRIBLE and congestion was bad in certain areas. Housing generally looks run down, and there is a ghetto element to the city. Never again. Rating: 4/10

Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 2,666,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm waiting for an answer, too, but I assume it would be the annoying "green" liberals. Unless I'm corrected by a better inland alternative, I think Madison would be the Berkeley of the Midwest.
Ann Arbor would probably be more logical.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 25 days ago)

8,728 posts, read 10,859,792 times
Best to Worse:

Phoenix in the 90's
Upstate NY in the 70's
Bennington, VT
Rural town in Florida
Syracuse, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or