Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 AM

86 posts, read 243,286 times

Advertisements

We work from home BUT we have two sons, one who will be going to college in a year and a half. We have lived in Tampa, FL and Madison, WI mostly with a few other cities mixed in for short periods (job transfers through the last 20 years).

We love the thought of Raleigh since we lived in NC many years back and always had fond memories of all NC brings - but our love for the warm beaches of Florida make Destin, FL seem attractive as well.

NC obviously wins the college options for our soon to be graduating son.
FL is a no income tax state.

Just thought I would ask since NC is at the top of the list right now.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I would be on the road working from our 33 foot fifth wheel.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:36 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
First I would like to say that the water and beaches in Destin are beautiful and put ALL of the beaches in NC to shame. Add the amenities and luxuries of that area and not one coastal region in NC compares. I've never understood why people desire to have beach homes in NC when the water nor the sand is pretty compared to other beaches in the US. Perhaps it's just the convenience?

Anyways, was your original question where one would reside in the state of NC or the entire US? If I had an unlimited budget I would have a beach home in a part of Florida with beautiful beaches and amenities (Destin, Naples), a mountain home (Lake Toxaway), and a permanent home somewhere with amenities nearby (N. Fulton, Gwinnett County, GA).

If you were inquiring about where to live in NC I would recommend both N. and ITB Raleigh, Cary, or Chapel Hill. That area will also offer great colleges for your children.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:28 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_sassy View Post
We work from home BUT we have two sons, one who will be going to college in a year and a half. We have lived in Tampa, FL and Madison, WI mostly with a few other cities mixed in for short periods (job transfers through the last 20 years).

We love the thought of Raleigh since we lived in NC many years back and always had fond memories of all NC brings - but our love for the warm beaches of Florida make Destin, FL seem attractive as well.

NC obviously wins the college options for our soon to be graduating son.
FL is a no income tax state.

Just thought I would ask since NC is at the top of the list right now.
Seems like this question would be better in the General US forum if you really want a statistically valid group of responses. Asking in NC forum, you're going to get heavily NC-biased answers from people who are here, of course.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I work remotely from both Miami Beach and Raleigh as I see fit. I can certainly appreciate the conundrum that the OP poses and solved it for myself by being in both places. But, I am single and have more flexibility. If I had kids, I'd be in Raleigh full time.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,492 times
Default Destin is Great!

I lived on the Emerald Coast for 15 years 6 of those in Destin. I would highly recommend it for several reasons. Destin is big enough to have just about everything you're looking for, but it is not too big. In Destin you are close to everything.
I would not live on the beach unless that is an absolute must. They are effected by hurricanes every 10+ years, but the real damage has always been on or near the shore.
The weather is great all year, especially in the spring, and the fall my favorite time of year in Destin.
I mention the beaches last because that is the most obvious draw, and they are amazing. Spend a week there (on the beach), and you will be hooked.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Anywhere? Ideally, I'd live on one of the Finger Lakes in western NY from June to October; the summers are wonderful, and it's close to Canada (and in my case, family and friends in NY). I'd live in Raleigh in the winter, preferably on or near a lake in winter and spring...or closer to the coast.

That way, I'd avoid the miserably hot summers here. I like living in Raleigh except in the summer.

I don't know anywhere I'd want to live full time -- if I had a choice.

Where do you want to end up in retirement? If Destin, I'd stay there. Sounds very nice. Being able to view an ocean horizon any time you want is good for the soul.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Durham, the smart side of the Triangle..

Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I would be in San Diego right now.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 PM

26 posts, read 42,656 times
I would live in LA. Lower Alabama. Make that Lower Baldwin County. God created a little slice of heaven here on earth and that is where I'd love to be. If you had asked me a year ago I would have said NM. Maybe I should change my screen name to something else since I have come to my senses and am no longer "stuck" in Dixie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.