U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,733 times

Advertisements

What I mean is not the new-immigrant-Asians but the Asian-Americans in areas of the Midwest, South, NE--who speak English fluently..do you find they actually speak a more netural flat-sounding (ie-California-style) accent or are they more likely to speak like the locals of the respective areas...

Having traveled across the country, I have heard a mix of both..in Chicago I know a few Asian-Americans who have a more nasal-ly and drawl-ly tone than would be the case on the West-Coast...in the NYC area I have encountered a few who speak very rapidly and I attribute that to a NE-accent-influence...
the South, an interesting case where I have heard a few Asian-Americans speak with a Southern accent (certainly perked my ears & piqued my interest) but I'd think most of the other Asian-Americans in the South tone down their accent even if they've lived there for awhile.

Oh and the Hawaiian Asian-Americans do have their own neat accent too
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
Why wouldn't they? American is American.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 AM

802 posts, read 1,745,586 times
I knew a Hmong girl from Albermarle NC. Her parents were from somewhere in SE Asia and she had never been. While there accents were heavy, she was very country. Talking with her over the phone you would think she was some little white girl from out in the middle of nowhere. LOL

Old 12-15-2011, 03:11 AM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I knew a Hmong girl from Albermarle NC. Her parents were from somewhere in SE Asia and she had never been. While there accents were heavy, she was very country. Talking with her over the phone you would think she was some little white girl from out in the middle of nowhere. LOL
Albemarle NC is a wonderful all-American town, it is where Kellie Pickler is from and I LOVE the way she talks and her whole style. I know Asian Americans from Michigan who have very think Michigan accents. Same with the South. LEss with Long Island but a few, usually more stuck up girls have that accent.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 AM

915 posts, read 1,496,061 times
Ya, I've noticed some Asian-Americans speak with local accents, but they were in the minority. Where I'm from in NC (Chapel Hill), none of the Asian people had accents, but at the boarding school I attended (which contained students from parts of the state with fewer transplants), quite a few had southern accents.

None of the Asians I know from North Jersey have the local accent, but perhaps some do. The Asians I've met from the Chicago area, DEFINITELY have the chicago area accent. None of the Asians I've met in the DC area (specifically Maryland) have the Maryland accent or any sort of "Mid-Atlantic" dialect.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,046,541 times
Yes. I have a friend who is second-generation Chinese, was born and raised in Minneapolis. Cracks me up when she says Yaah, just like Marge the Sheriff in Fargo. She told me she has a Chinese friend who was born and raised in Memphis, and she has a strong Southern accent (which cracks my friend up!). Also,I know a Chinese guy who was born and raised in Chicago's South Side Chinatown, and he has the Chicago accent big time.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:51 PM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
None of the Asians I've met in the DC area (specifically Maryland) have the Maryland accent or any sort of "Mid-Atlantic" dialect.
There is no Maryland or mid-Atlantic accent outside of the African American populations in PG county and Baltimore, some ethnic whites in Baltimore and a few southerners.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-15-2011 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 06:03 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
Back when I was single, I dated someone of Fujianese extraction who sounded like a typical Boston Brahmin. Dated someone of Vietnamese extraction who had a Texas twang.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:11 PM

285 posts, read 610,621 times
My younger brother and sister are both adopted; they are twins and came to Canada as babies. English is their native language, and they sound just as Canadian as the rest of us.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
I know lots of Asians here and very few have Southern accents. Many will say Southern things like "y'all" but their accent is still not Southern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or