U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 07:12 PM

199 posts, read 372,832 times

Advertisements

Maybe sushi is big in California or in New York, but in the Midwest it barely registers for most people. I've had Japanese food on a number of occasions and find it to be bland and overrated.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:18 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus of Board View Post
Maybe sushi is big in California or in New York, but in the Midwest it barely registers for most people. I've had Japanese food on a number of occasions and find it to be bland and overrated.
I disagree; even in the smaller cities of Ohio there are Japanese steakhouses and sushi buffets. Sushi blew up in the 1980s and has pretty much permeated all parts of the US since, just like Thai food in the 90s. Indian food is getting there now, but not quite everywhere yet.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 PM

896 posts, read 935,129 times
Sushi has been popular in LA for as long as I can remember, the rest of the country just hopped on the bandwagon

Old 12-16-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus of Board View Post
Hmmm, maybe the fact that there's no Japanese in the midwest has something to do with it

Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Hmmm, maybe the fact that there's no Japanese in the midwest has something to do with it
Replace no with few.

On another note...I had some Austrian dish which was basically like macaroni and cheese but it was the best 'mac'n'cheese' I've ever tasted. German/Austrian/Swiss food is better than I thought. Are German restaurants popular in the Midwest?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Replace no with few.

On another note...I had some Austrian dish which was basically like macaroni and cheese but it was the best 'mac'n'cheese' I've ever tasted. German/Austrian/Swiss food is better than I thought. Are German restaurants popular in the Midwest?
Yea I hear you man, I just don't like when people judge a countries' cuisines simply because their little town doesn't have the real deal

Old 12-16-2011, 10:06 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,793,710 times
I personally think sushi all right, but I'm not really a fan of the raw fish, pretty much disliking its taste and texture. I do like the sushi rolls that have things like breaded shrimp, spicy tuna or fresh veggies.

I like Japanese cuisine but more than sushi, I like the fried-type dishes -- in particular one of my faves is the tempura battered, deep-fried items, like shrimp.

I guess that doesn't make me as hip and classy as if I preferred a few fresh slices of sashimi or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What on earth is orange chicken?
Orange chicken is a pretty popular Chinese take-out dish in the US, it's chicken in small pieces glazed with an orange-based sauce.

There's another version, lemon chicken, which seems to be common in Chinese-Canadian cuisine.

Is something like this well-known/popular in Australia?

Last edited by Stumbler.; 12-16-2011 at 10:30 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I personally think sushi all right, but I'm not really a fan of the raw fish, pretty much disliking its taste and texture. I do like the sushi rolls that have things like breaded shrimp, spicy tuna or fresh veggies.

I like Japanese cuisine but more than sushi, I like the fried-type dishes -- in particular one of my faves is the tempura battered, deep-fried items, like shrimp.

I guess that doesn't make me as hip and classy as if I preferred a few fresh slices of sashimi or something.

Orange chicken is a pretty popular Chinese take-out dish in the US, it's chicken in small pieces glazed with an orange-based sauce.

There's another version, lemon chicken, which seems to be common in Chinese Canadian cuisine.

Is something like this well-known/popular in Australia?
I love shrimp tempura myself, its ok if you don't like sushi (I'm saying this in general not directed towards you) but don't judge a countries' cuisine over 1 dish

Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 PM

56,064 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Nowadays, sushi as a food is something that a lot of Americans in this generation are familiar with, not something "exotic" or too unheard of. It's even stereotyped as a trendy thing for hip, liberal, cities, just like going out for a coffee at Starbucks, but also more broadly can be popular all over the US too.

I remember in the early 90s even, when I was in grade school, sushi wasn't necessarily familiar to most people, and often the reaction to the idea of eating raw fish/seaweed might've been "it's gross!". But later on, a decade or two, I noticed an explosion in popularity. People I went to college with or co-workers often asked "wanna go out for sushi?"

What was it about sushi that made it become so "hip" and rose to popularity so fast?

I realize that it happens with "ethnic" foods which become trendy (because it's associated with being urban and cosmopolitanism), but it seems sushi in particular has almost become a cultural marker. How'd it get that way?
I'd say in the 80's.

I remember the cab driver in Desperately Seeking Susan saying "I bought some of that sushi and brought it home and cooked it. Tasted like fish."

Old 12-16-2011, 10:46 PM

56,064 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Sushi was fairly uncommon in Alabama in the 1980's. Sometime in the mid or late 1990's it started becoming much more common and popular and by the 2000's it was pretty much everywhere.

Thai food is also something that seemed relatively uncommon in the 1980's and became much more so in the 1990's.

Maybe some of the older posters on the board can inform us if other ethnic food went through similar trends. For instance, when did Chinese, Italian, Mexican, etc foods become easily available?
The 80's seem to have been the era when foods started becoming more trendy in general--more articles on food, Americans trying more ethnic foods than before.

There were always Chinese restaurants, but at that time the different types of Chinese started to be featured--Sichuan, Hunan, etc. Also, there were Italian restaurants around, but before 1980 there was no such word as "pasta" in use. No one said "pasta". You had spaghetti or macaroni or noodles. All of a sudden "pasta" came to life in different shapes and with new sauces, and Italian restaurants sprung up everywhere and the food formerly known as macaroni became three times as expensive.

Mexican may have been more popular in the southwest before the northeast. I remember visiting a friend in Colorado in 1978 and they were raving about this place called Taco Bell. I'd never heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or