U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:07 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,744,342 times

Advertisements

I don't care for Indian food. It's too spicy and they use too much curry. I also don't like the way it smells either.

Mexican is okay... I just mostly like their tacos and beans. But that's about it. The rest of it is too spicy and upsets my stomach.

I know it may be a shocker to some of you since I live in Florida, but I also don't like seafood, especially fish. The only seafood I like are fried shrimp and conch fritters with a lot of key lime on it. I have never eaten sushi and I won't now after seeing the pictures of the Japanese man who's brain got infested with maggots.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM

2,880 posts, read 4,613,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I have never eaten sushi and I won't now after seeing the pictures of the Japanese man who's brain got infested with maggots.
Can we put this to rest? From snopes.com (I won't link since the pictures are reproduced there too):

"As we learned at the time from sources involved with the patient's treatment, the pictures date from October 2002 and are photographs of a man in his 70s who was suffering from an unusual form of cancer which had eaten away at the upper portion of his skull and scalp, but who had not sought any medical treatment because the condition was not causing him pain." The exposed tissue invited flies. It was a man in Northern California. Weird, but if you're predisposed to thinking it was caused by eating sushi, well, you're predisposed to thinking it was caused by eating sushi and I guess nothing can stop that.

ETA: I only post this because I didn't think the one post on this urban legend would get repeated and self-affirmed so many times.

Last edited by Bunjee; 12-17-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 05:51 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,605,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
In this thread, we attack the personal preferences of others

As for the answer to this thread, well, I grew up here in LA. It was just another thing while growing up. I feel that Indian food is becoming pretty trendy now, while Chinese food (well, Americanized Chinese food), Japanese food (again, Americanized), and Mexican food have been popular all around California since....well, the past 100 years. In fact, I can get Chinese, Japanese, and Mexican (and Korean, Armenian, Persian, etc.) in my area WAY quicker than I can find a place that serves American regional foods (and I LOVEEEE BBQ). It's not a good or bad thing either, but sometimes I really pine for some world class American fare food. I'm starting to warm up to California fusion, but it's still very much a work in progress.
Yeah, the OP asked when it was that sushi made the transition from something considered exotic to something found in most areas of the USA--not whether people liked sushi or not.

I've read that Los Angeles was basically one of the first places in the US to really popularize sushi... Little Tokyo and a lot of the area was where a lot of sushi chefs immigrated over from Japan. Way before sushi restaurants became fairly popular in most urban areas of the country, Los Angeles had a good number of sushi bars. I can also remember going as a kid to some of the first sushi boat restaurants in the Bay Area--which was a copy of the Japanese sushi conveyor belt places, but seemed cool as a kid. But a lot of Asian food styles have been popular in California for much longer than other places in the country. I remember eating Thai food a lot as a kid, long before that became more common in almost every mid-sized college town in the country...

A couple of pretty interesting articles about how sushi became both popular in the US and throughout the globe:

Sushi Books by Trevor Corson and Sasha Issenberg - Books - Review - New York Times

How sushi ate the world | World news | The Observer

Old 12-17-2011, 05:52 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
you should re read my post because i clearly stated that american food is some of the worst food on the planet except cajun food. by putting the parenthesis around Cajun and saying "except Cajun" means that I like Cajun despite my dislike for American food.

I love Cajun and love cooking gumbo and jambalaya. And yes it is nectar of the gods!
curse that adult-onset ADHD. My apologies for the mis-read.

20yrsinbranson

Old 12-17-2011, 07:13 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,130,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
i wont touch it but good for them
Sushi and octopus aren't bad, if they're prepared right. They really don't have a taste. Fried squid.

Quote:
lol doubt it
Well, I live in the south and most places where I live that serve fried catfish, shrimp, etc. are owned by Asians and usually cooked by them.

Quote:
i think america have the best food. and i have not ever had sushi and will not eat it. sushi is not popular here but its only in big cities. i wont eat it because it doesnt even look good to me.
You probably think that only because that's all you know. American food is really not all that great and you really believe that American restaurants are cleaner well.............. Yeah. You should venture to the city every once in a while. I've seen a fair share of sushi restaurants in Birmingham.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,224,515 times
There are enough borderline generalized-racist comments in here to warrant a "what not to say" dictionairy.

Sound of door closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or