Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I personally think sushi all right, but I'm not really a fan of the raw fish, pretty much disliking its taste and texture. I do like the sushi rolls that have things like breaded shrimp, spicy tuna or fresh veggies.

I like Japanese cuisine but more than sushi, I like the fried-type dishes -- in particular one of my faves is the tempura battered, deep-fried items, like shrimp.

I guess that doesn't make me as hip and classy as if I preferred a few fresh slices of sashimi or something.

Orange chicken is a pretty popular Chinese take-out dish in the US, it's chicken in small pieces glazed with an orange-based sauce.

There's another version, lemon chicken, which seems to be common in Chinese-Canadian cuisine.

Is something like this well-known/popular in Australia?
Mmm! That looks really good right now.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:04 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Here, it's actually more popular in the suburbs. Most of the sushi places I know of are in suburban areas rather than urban neighborhoods. I dont think people see it as "hip" they just like it because it tastes good.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
I personally think sushi all right, but I'm not really a fan of the raw fish, pretty much disliking its taste and texture. I do like the sushi rolls that have things like breaded shrimp, spicy tuna or fresh veggies.

I like Japanese cuisine but more than sushi, I like the fried-type dishes -- in particular one of my faves is the tempura battered, deep-fried items, like shrimp.

I guess that doesn't make me as hip and classy as if I preferred a few fresh slices of sashimi or something.

Orange chicken is a pretty popular Chinese take-out dish in the US, it's chicken in small pieces glazed with an orange-based sauce.

There's another version, lemon chicken, which seems to be common in Chinese-Canadian cuisine.

Is something like this well-known/popular in Australia?
Yes we have lemon chicken but I've never seen or heard of Orange Chicken. Must be an American-Chinese thing, like Chop Suey which I've also never seen in a Chinese restaurant here. For years I was wondering what an 'egg roll' was, then I learned they're basically what you call spring rolls.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:32 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
For years I was wondering what an 'egg roll' was, then I learned they're basically what you call spring rolls.
We have spring rolls as well. There are some differences between the two: Egg rolls uses a different kind of rice paper (texture is thicker/crispy/crunchy); tend to be bigger and thicker (more fillings) than spring rolls; and before they're fried, they get an egg wash.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Nowadays, sushi as a food is something that a lot of Americans in this generation are familiar with, not something "exotic" or too unheard of. It's even stereotyped as a trendy thing for hip, liberal, cities, just like going out for a coffee at Starbucks, but also more broadly can be popular all over the US too.

I remember in the early 90s even, when I was in grade school, sushi wasn't necessarily familiar to most people, and often the reaction to the idea of eating raw fish/seaweed might've been "it's gross!". But later on, a decade or two, I noticed an explosion in popularity. People I went to college with or co-workers often asked "wanna go out for sushi?"

What was it about sushi that made it become so "hip" and rose to popularity so fast?

I realize that it happens with "ethnic" foods which become trendy (because it's associated with being urban and cosmopolitanism), but it seems sushi in particular has almost become a cultural marker. How'd it get that way?
I remember the same thing. My opinion is that it must taste good for this trend to have lasted for so long

I don't like seafood so to me it's indifferent. Raw or cooked fish taste the same to me, either like stale sea water or like nothing. Part of my problem is that I never ate seafood as a child except for canned tuna or sardines during the Fridays of Lent.

I have tried to like seafood including sushi but I just can't. I eat it if I have no other choice but I always feel like I skipped lunch or dinner.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Nowadays, sushi as a food is something that a lot of Americans in this generation are familiar with, not something "exotic" or too unheard of. It's even stereotyped as a trendy thing for hip, liberal, cities, just like going out for a coffee at Starbucks, but also more broadly can be popular all over the US too.

I remember in the early 90s even, when I was in grade school, sushi wasn't necessarily familiar to most people, and often the reaction to the idea of eating raw fish/seaweed might've been "it's gross!". But later on, a decade or two, I noticed an explosion in popularity. People I went to college with or co-workers often asked "wanna go out for sushi?"

What was it about sushi that made it become so "hip" and rose to popularity so fast?

I realize that it happens with "ethnic" foods which become trendy (because it's associated with being urban and cosmopolitanism), but it seems sushi in particular has almost become a cultural marker. How'd it get that way?
I expect that some big-name celebrity was featured eating in on some stupid television show....Frasier or Sex in the City or something like that, so every little sheeple in the universe decided they wanted some so they could be "cool" too.

Personally, I don't care for it. I like my rice hot, my food cooked and I am no big fan of seaweed. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-17-2011, 12:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Octopus and Squid are eaten by a lot of people. Fried Calamari is delicious. And the Chinese cook fried catfish better then any fried catfish out of the south.

I could care less if you like sushi but to say japanese food and chinese food are similar show you have 0 cultural reference and have not really tried either cuisine. Saying those two cuisines are similar would be like saying there is no difference between Swedish food and Italian food.

Go and explore the different tastes in the world and stop being a picky eater. American food is some of the most bland/worst tasting food on the planet(except cajun) and nothing is worse than seeing people comment on topics they clearly know nothing about.
I was in agreement with you until you got to the Cajun part. You obviously have no soul when it comes to food because *nothing* in the universe is better than Cajun food. Gumbo IS nectar from the Gods!

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I was in agreement with you until you got to the Cajun part. You obviously have no soul when it comes to food because *nothing* in the universe is better than Cajun food. Gumbo IS nectar from the Gods!

20yrsinBranson
you should re read my post because i clearly stated that american food is some of the worst food on the planet except cajun food. by putting the parenthesis around Cajun and saying "except Cajun" means that I like Cajun despite my dislike for American food.

I love Cajun and love cooking gumbo and jambalaya. And yes it is nectar of the gods!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:45 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Octopus and Squid are eaten by a lot of people. Fried Calamari is delicious.
i wont touch it but good for them

Quote:
And the Chinese cook fried catfish better then any fried catfish out of the south.
lol doubt it

Quote:
I could care less if you like sushi but to say japanese food and chinese food are similar show you have 0 cultural reference and have not really tried either cuisine. Saying those two cuisines are similar would be like saying there is no difference between Swedish food and Italian food.

Go and explore the different tastes in the world and stop being a picky eater. American food is some of the most bland/worst tasting food on the planet(except cajun) and nothing is worse than seeing people comment on topics they clearly know nothing about.
i think america have the best food. and i have not ever had sushi and will not eat it. sushi is not popular here but its only in big cities. i wont eat it because it doesnt even look good to me.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
In this thread, we attack the personal preferences of others

As for the answer to this thread, well, I grew up here in LA. It was just another thing while growing up. I feel that Indian food is becoming pretty trendy now, while Chinese food (well, Americanized Chinese food), Japanese food (again, Americanized), and Mexican food have been popular all around California since....well, the past 100 years. In fact, I can get Chinese, Japanese, and Mexican (and Korean, Armenian, Persian, etc.) in my area WAY quicker than I can find a place that serves American regional foods (and I LOVEEEE BBQ). It's not a good or bad thing either, but sometimes I really pine for some world class American fare food. I'm starting to warm up to California fusion, but it's still very much a work in progress.

Different folks, different strokes.

Personally, I don't like sushi very much either. My culture eats a LOT of seafood (that's pretty much 60% of what I eat), but I feel like sushi doesn't have that much taste. It's surprisingly filling because rice expands in your stomach, but for the price you get it at, its not worth it most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.