U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst traffic on the Eastern Seaboard:
New York Metro (Northern NJ, southern Connecticut, Long Island) 30 36.14%
DC Metro (NoVA, Maryland) 39 46.99%
Philadelphia Metro (South Jersey, Delaware) 0 0%
Boston Metro (including parts of NH and RI) 1 1.20%
Atlanta Metro 11 13.25%
Fort Lauderdale/Miami Metro 1 1.20%
Tampa Metro 0 0%
Orlando Metro 0 0%
Charlotte Metro (including one county in SC) 0 0%
Other (please post) 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,825,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Guy View Post
3 and a half miles to go 100 miles? Try 2 hours and 45 minutes to go 40 miles in Connecticut. Sorry I lived in Alexandria and CT traffic is horrendous in comparison. It's so terrible that I'm looking into taking a job in SoCal for relief. Yes. I said SoCal. That's how bad CT traffic is.
SoCal's pretty bad. I remember driving on I-5 (oops, sorry, THE 5 ) in the Irvine area on a Sunday MORNING and getting stuck in bumper to bumper for a long time (no accident). The only time that's ever happened to me is the Cross Bronx around the GWB.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM

16,791 posts, read 23,248,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
SoCal's pretty bad. I remember driving on I-5 (oops, sorry, THE 5 ) in the Irvine area on a Sunday MORNING and getting stuck in bumper to bumper for a long time (no accident). The only time that's ever happened to me is the Cross Bronx around the GWB.
The good thing about SoCal is there are different routes you can take. The problem with CT/NJ/NYC is you're pretty much stuck for miles.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 AM

22,347 posts, read 32,259,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The good thing about SoCal is there are different routes you can take. The problem with CT/NJ/NYC is you're pretty much stuck for miles.

I typically try to bypass as much as possible when heading north of NYC (often head as far out as Newburg to get around that mess if driving to Boston). Luckily i rarely have to deal with NYC traffic North of the city and NJ actually isnt all that bad.

The BQE can be a disaster though, hate driving out to the Island

Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I typically try to bypass as much as possible when heading north of NYC (often head as far out as Newburg to get around that mess if driving to Boston). Luckily i rarely have to deal with NYC traffic North of the city and NJ actually isnt all that bad.

The BQE can be a disaster though, hate driving out to the Island
Yeah, NJ isn't TOO bad. It gets bad sometimes in Fort Lee but other than that, I don't have any traffic nightmare stories in Jersey.

You go out to Newburgh? That's pretty far out of the way. You should be okay going the Garden State to Tappan Zee to 684 to 84. As long as you avoid the Cross Bronx/95 in CT and the Hutch/Merritt Parkway in Westchester/Connecticut, you should be okay.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,865,137 times
The worst typical traffic I encounter is usually in the DC metro. However, the worst individual episode of traffic I have personally experienced was in Miami. Since Miami's developed corridor is physically small, just one major incident on any of the highways can send the whole road system into chaos. A few months back I was driving to my office. Leaving the beach was okay but after 4 or 5 miles, it took me 2-1/2 hours to complete the last 6 or so miles of my 11 mile commute to Doral because of a huge mulitcar pile-up and fire on the west bound lanes of the ONE major east/west highway the crosses the entire width of developed Miami/Dade. Everyone had to funnel onto surface streets and find other routes including the one that I typically take two miles north of the accident. The additional traffic completely overwhelmed my spur highway/surface road commute. Mind you, this was traffic that was actually going against the typical rush hour direction. If the East bound lanes were blocked for hours instead, I can't even imagine the extent of the resulting traffic.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:39 AM

22,347 posts, read 32,259,232 times
Quote:
Yeah, NJ isn't TOO bad. It gets bad sometimes in Fort Lee but other than that, I don't have any traffic nightmare stories in Jersey.

You go out to Newburgh? That's pretty far out of the way. You should be okay going the Garden State to Tappan Zee to 684 to 84. As long as you avoid the Cross Bronx/95 in CT and the Hutch/Merritt Parkway in Westchester/Connecticut, you should be okay.

Depends on where I am going. If coming from Philly the Newburg and across Northern CT into Boston isnt all that much further

Do use the Tappanzee and Merrit as well but above whatever town Yale is in can be bad too linking up with 95 to continue north

Sadly I figured out the above route (Newburg) on 911 in a rental car back from Boston to Philly

Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,770,077 times
Commuting into the Manhattan from New Jersey was the worst experiences for me, I've done Lincoln Tunnel and i never been so pissed in my life, a car without the ezpass was about to use the ezpass lane and noticed at the last second he had to be in the other lane so hes blocking traffic and me and literally 5 other people are laying on the horn. Its also stressful going around the curves because the lanes are so narrow and so much buses that dont fit on those narrow lanes,

I hear people go all the way up to the George Washington Bridge to avoid the gridlocks at the tunnels

Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The worst typical traffic I encounter is usually in the DC metro. However, the worst individual episode of traffic I have personally experienced was in Miami. Since Miami's developed corridor is physically small, just one major incident on any of the highways can send the whole road system into chaos. A few months back I was driving to my office. Leaving the beach was okay but after 4 or 5 miles, it took me 2-1/2 hours to complete the last 6 or so miles of my 11 mile commute to Doral because of a huge mulitcar pile-up and fire on the west bound lanes of the ONE major east/west highway the crosses the entire width of developed Miami/Dade. Everyone had to funnel onto surface streets and find other routes including the one that I typically take two miles north of the accident. The additional traffic completely overwhelmed my spur highway/surface road commute. Mind you, this was traffic that was actually going against the typical rush hour direction. If the East bound lanes were blocked for hours instead, I can't even imagine the extent of the resulting traffic.
That terrible jam in Miami you speak of could happen almost anywhere. This thread is refererring to regular volume, not so much a freak accident.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,825,680 times
Quote:

i'm not being a homer but i agree that NJ isn't that bad (save a few places). Besides the arteries going into NYC, the worst places for daily traffic are nothing compared to DC/Atlanta/etc...

Old 12-16-2011, 01:56 PM

4,478 posts, read 7,551,908 times
The New York metro obviously has the most congestion based on sheer volume, but DC has to have the most traffic congestion per capita. The Beltway is a perpetual parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or