U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst traffic on the Eastern Seaboard:
New York Metro (Northern NJ, southern Connecticut, Long Island) 30 36.14%
DC Metro (NoVA, Maryland) 39 46.99%
Philadelphia Metro (South Jersey, Delaware) 0 0%
Boston Metro (including parts of NH and RI) 1 1.20%
Atlanta Metro 11 13.25%
Fort Lauderdale/Miami Metro 1 1.20%
Tampa Metro 0 0%
Orlando Metro 0 0%
Charlotte Metro (including one county in SC) 0 0%
Other (please post) 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:05 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you know, i waffle on this. i'm in the NYC metro but the traffic I encounter is nothing like the hell you see on the BQE, etc. My top 3:

1) the old generic "roads leading into NYC" with the Cross Bronx leading the pack.
2) DC. horrendous
3) Connecticut, all but maybe the northeastern portion. merritt, terrible; i-95, forget about it; i-84 from ny state to hartford - just kill me now.

my worst is whatever i'm on in that particular moment.

atlanta is pretty horrifying but i haven't traveled it enough to make a truly informed opinion against those top 3.

orlando is surprisingly awful too.
I agree on all. Any road that has an interstate or parkway shield in NYC city limits is hell on earth. "The LIE is LOL" (lots of luck). The Thruway is Hell to Harriman. The Tappan Zee is falling into the Zee. Seasonal traffic to the shore is a nightmare. Ack! But day-to-day traffic on most NJ expressways really isn't that bad, save for a few bottlenecks and slowdowns.

DC is pretty terrible, but most of the frustration can be avoided with proper trip planning. There are some daylight hours during which it's possible to slip around the Beltway without coming to a stop anywhere.

Connecticut is death on wheels. 95, Merritt, 84, all options are terrible.

Atlanta is pretty awful too. In my experience, it hasn't been as bad as DC, but it's no fun getting stuck on parts of 85, 20, or 285.

Orlando's I-4 is ugly.

The Norfolk area is surprisingly bad for an area its size. With the bridges and tunnels limiting the options for alternative routes, traffic can get pretty bad at times, especially at the HRBT, Downtown Tunnel and Midtown Tunnel.

Boston has its moments, but I never really drive there, so I don't have much first-hand experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,299,438 times
NYC's metro area is big enough to where traffic varies a lot, depending on the route you're trying to drive. DC-area traffic seems to funnel a higher percentage of itself onto the beltway than NYC-area traffic does with any single road. The beltway is irritatingly slow, but I'd rather deal with a segment of that route each day than certain NYC-area routes, like going from Long Island to Manhattan using some combination of the Van Wyck and the LIE.

Manhattan street traffic isn't all that bad most of the time, but leaving the island is a hassle, and if that were part of my daily drive, I'd be very annoyed. I've been stuck on the approaches to those bridges and tunnels often enough to know how irritating that would get on a daily basis.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Boston has its moments, but I never really drive there, so I don't have much first-hand experience.
It certainly does. Admittedly not as bad as the Tri State/NYC area or DC but it gets nasty. The only thing the Big Dig did was somewhat improve the flow of traffic through the city, heading out of town or anywhere around Boston's outskirts can be a bloody nightmare. The worst is the Southeast Expressway (I-93) which even has heavy congestion on weekends. Also north of the city is the busiest interchange in the state I-93/I-95-128 which doesn't have flyovers but rather a cloverleaf with other exits merging within less half mile of it making it a horrible chokepoint. Massachusetts highways are so antiquated and poorly planned. Anytime drive on Sunbelt Freeways I get so envious.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
I work from home. So, I don't get to experience the wonderful commuter traffic in the DC area.

Living near a metro stop and the brand new ICC (MoCo <---> PG) helps a lot too.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:22 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,159,873 times
Definitely the DC area from my experience. My sister used to live in Baltimore and my mother lives in Virginia Beach, so going through Washington became a regular thing. On more than one occasion, we'd hit heavy traffic in Hampton Roads, Richmond, and Washington making for about an 8 hour drive (when it should be closer to 4).

Old 12-17-2011, 06:02 PM

7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Definitely the DC area from my experience. My sister used to live in Baltimore and my mother lives in Virginia Beach, so going through Washington became a regular thing. On more than one occasion, we'd hit heavy traffic in Hampton Roads, Richmond, and Washington making for about an 8 hour drive (when it should be closer to 4).
I took the same exact trip on more than one occasion (coming from Baltimore to Va. Beach) and it also took me 8 hours everytime. I think DC traffic is the worst on the east coast. Philly was that bad, NYC was bad, but moving, Baltimore is a lot worse than what it use to be (worse than philly).

Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,557,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Massachusetts highways are so antiquated and poorly planned. Anytime drive on Sunbelt Freeways I get so envious.
That's Philly's problem. Traffic wouldn't be bad except that the roads are so bad, poorly designed, not enough lanes, lots of bottlenecks and missing links.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:41 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Okay, for those of you who are encountering horrible traffic in the DC area (which is understandable), here are some pointers:

Avoid driving during the rush hours, especially the p.m. rush hour, which goes from between 2 to 8 on weekdays. Drive only during the mid-day or night if possible. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. you should get a lot less traffic.

Get your ez-pass now (if you don't have it) so that if you're driving in the Maryland part north of DC you can use the ICC (Inter-county connector, Rte. 200). It's an electronic-only toll highway that opened just before Thanksgiving and that is super-fast and easy. If you're going to/from points between Gaithersburg/Rockville, Olney, northern Silver Spring, Burtonsville and Laurel, then you definitely want check and see if you can avoid the Beltway or inner roads and take the ICC instead.

So those are a couple of things I can recommend.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-18-2011 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 AM

3,500 posts, read 4,956,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
That's Philly's problem. Traffic wouldn't be bad except that the roads are so bad, poorly designed, not enough lanes, lots of bottlenecks and missing links.
Yes, this says it all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuylkill_Expressway

Old 12-18-2011, 08:06 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times

KYW 1060 kHz PHILADELPHIA PA PANASONIC RF-1600 TRAFFIC AND TRANSIT ON THE 2'S - YouTube

New York City 1010 WINS radio AM - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or