U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 13,260 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am looking for an city in the u.s. that is preferably on or very close (within half an hour) to the Mountains for outdoor sports and beaches to relax. As far as weather goes, I hate the rain and humidity, -but i do love the snow and i dont mind sunshine or clouds. I am not a huge fan of very windy areas, but i can look past it as long as there is little or no rain and humidity. I like a downtown, but a clean one where crime is not very popular. I am looking for an areas with a decent amount of jobs, not a dropping economy and is NOT expensive. I like lakes and parks too! Anywhere you would suggest? Thanks. Sorry if its a lot to ask for!

Oh and please no Hawaii ! Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,031,517 times
The only place that matches your climate and geography is Southern CA and it's very expensive there. Everywhere there is water and mountains everything is more expensive.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 PM

62 posts, read 121,193 times
statesville nc

Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,107,881 times
Mountains and beach and little rain and dry is essentially leeward Hawaii and southern California.

The east coast is entirely a humid climate and generally pretty flat outside New England, which isn't very mountainous near the coast. Outside of California, the closest one gets to a dry coastal spot is the fairly cool, fairly unpopulated Olympic mountain rainshadow around Sequim in Washington.

The average rainfall in Anchorage is pretty low, though I imagine that's not quite what you mean in terms of beach and mountains.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
although it tends to rain a lot in the summer and other times during the year, I think peninsular Florida would fit the bill just fine and features many locations called mountains the tallest of which (Sugarloaf Mtn) rises well over 300 ft above sea-level.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.