U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2011, 07:56 AM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,578,675 times
Reputation: 1266

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not from my perspective. I was born and raised in the Southern coastal plains area, and working in Appalachia I saw more pick-up trucks, camouflage, and Confederate flags than I ever did growing up.
What part of the coastal plain? What state? I know that in Georgia, you're more apt to find "good ol' boys" in south Georgia, on the coastal plain, far more than you are in the northern half of the state. The only area of northern Georgia which might be comparable are some parts of northwest Georgia, south of the Chattanooga metro and north of the Rome area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 AM
 
7,987 posts, read 11,221,813 times
Reputation: 2708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What part of the coastal plain? What state? I know that in Georgia, you're more apt to find "good ol' boys" in south Georgia, on the coastal plain, far more than you are in the northern half of the state. The only area of northern Georgia which might be comparable are some parts of northwest Georgia, south of the Chattanooga metro and north of the Rome area.
Same goes for SC where I live now. Places like Orangeburg in the coastal plains are loaded with good ole boys. Growing up in Alabama, south Alabama was much more good old boy than northern Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Floribama
14,969 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Reputation: 13771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not from my perspective. I was born and raised in the Southern coastal plains area, and working in Appalachia I saw more pick-up trucks, camouflage, and Confederate flags than I ever did growing up.
It really depends one ones upbringing. Where i live here in Alabama, people raised out in rural areas tend to be the type mentioned by the OP, but as you get in more populated areas you'll notice younger guys wearing Hollister, skinny jeans, and flat bill caps. I'm seeing about a 50/50 mix lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 09:53 AM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,578,675 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It really depends one ones upbringing. Where i live here in Alabama, people raised out in rural areas tend to be the type mentioned by the OP, but as you get in more populated areas you'll notice younger guys wearing Hollister, skinny jeans, and flat bill caps. I'm seeing about a 50/50 mix lately.
Of course, I'm a good bit older, being in my thirties, but I've never understood why a large percentage of country boys bend the bill of their caps so much. I don't understand the fish hook in the cap. I don't understand the skoal can. I don't understand the fascination with camouflage, as it's not attractive. I don't understand the fascination with hunting, when all one has to do is drive to the grocery store. I don't understand any of it. It is so alien to anything that I grew up with, and I'm a native southerner. I didn't see any of that growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 14,179,292 times
Reputation: 14796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Of course, I'm a good bit older, being in my thirties, but I've never understood why a large percentage of country boys bend the bill of their caps so much. I don't understand the fish hook in the cap. I don't understand the skoal can. I don't understand the fascination with camouflage, as it's not attractive. I don't understand the fascination with hunting, when all one has to do is drive to the grocery store. I don't understand any of it. It is so alien to anything that I grew up with, and I'm a native southerner. I didn't see any of that growing up.
I saw it all growing, but like you, I never understood it either. Of course, I don't understand most fads...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Floribama
14,969 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Reputation: 13771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Of course, I'm a good bit older, being in my thirties, but I've never understood why a large percentage of country boys bend the bill of their caps so much. I don't understand the fish hook in the cap. I don't understand the skoal can. I don't understand the fascination with camouflage, as it's not attractive. I don't understand the fascination with hunting, when all one has to do is drive to the grocery store. I don't understand any of it. It is so alien to anything that I grew up with, and I'm a native southerner. I didn't see any of that growing up.
Yeah I don't get it either, and I've lived here my whole life. My taste of clothing involves Levis jeans and a nice polo shirt, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything camo. I went to school with kids that were into that stuff (kids that lived in the country), but I never was. Now that I'm 32, it's the same thing, about half the people I work with are "country", the other half are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 01:41 PM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What part of the coastal plain? What state? I know that in Georgia, you're more apt to find "good ol' boys" in south Georgia, on the coastal plain, far more than you are in the northern half of the state. The only area of northern Georgia which might be comparable are some parts of northwest Georgia, south of the Chattanooga metro and north of the Rome area.
I'm not as familiar with south Georgia, but that's what I saw practically day in and day out during my tenure in Gilmer County. It may be a bit different in other parts of north Georgia, like Rome and Dalton. I think one reason why it's not quite as prevalent in the coastal plain areas, at least from my perspective, is because of the higher Black population. Many like to hunt and fish, but you won't see those other elements of "good ol' boy-ism" among that segment of the population like camouflage, pick-up trucks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,578,675 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not as familiar with south Georgia, but that's what I saw practically day in and day out during my tenure in Gilmer County. It may be a bit different in other parts of north Georgia, like Rome and Dalton. I think one reason why it's not quite as prevalent in the coastal plain areas, at least from my perspective, is because of the higher Black population. Many like to hunt and fish, but you won't see those other elements of "good ol' boy-ism" among that segment of the population like camouflage, pick-up trucks, etc.
From my perspective, I attended college in south Georgia. I went to college with many of these south Georgia boys, and many of them are "good ol' boy". I've traveled extensively throughout the state, and little comes close to the sheer level of this which you'll see in the southern part of the state. The closest it comes is the area north of Rome and south of Chattanooga. This area doesn't really consist of the city of Dalton, however, Yet, you will see this good ol boy environment fairly heavy in Gilmer County which is about the eastern-most extent of it, I'd say. In Blue Ridge, there's a high concentration of Atlanta natives and other transplants. The same goes for the other higher elevation north Georgia areas. Either you see that, or just a lot of the people are more or less the hiking/outdoorsy non-"redneck" type of country as opposed to the good ol boy skoal/four wheelers/camouflage country.

By the way, there's nothing "good ol' boy" about fishing. That's something that is common to all locations. It's a fun, recreational activity in which most catch and release. Hunting, on the other hand, doesn't allow kill and release. Plenty of people fish, a majority not "good ol' boys". Very few people hunt who are not "good ol' boys".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,164,912 times
Reputation: 5697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Of course, I'm a good bit older, being in my thirties, but I've never understood why a large percentage of country boys bend the bill of their caps so much. I don't understand the fish hook in the cap. I don't understand the skoal can. I don't understand the fascination with camouflage, as it's not attractive. I don't understand the fascination with hunting, when all one has to do is drive to the grocery store. I don't understand any of it. It is so alien to anything that I grew up with, and I'm a native southerner. I didn't see any of that growing up.
I don't know what it is either, but I remember from when I was young growing up in the 70s and 80s that country boys used to have a swag. Nice jeans, nice boots, nice shirt, nice clean hat. Now it seems all the stuff you talk about above is what is considered "cool" for some bizarre reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 PM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
From my perspective, I attended college in south Georgia. I went to college with many of these south Georgia boys, and many of them are "good ol' boy". I've traveled extensively throughout the state, and little comes close to the sheer level of this which you'll see in the southern part of the state. The closest it comes is the area north of Rome and south of Chattanooga. This area doesn't really consist of the city of Dalton, however, Yet, you will see this good ol boy environment fairly heavy in Gilmer County which is about the eastern-most extent of it, I'd say. In Blue Ridge, there's a high concentration of Atlanta natives and other transplants. The same goes for the other higher elevation north Georgia areas. Either you see that, or just a lot of the people are more or less the hiking/outdoorsy non-"redneck" type of country as opposed to the good ol boy skoal/four wheelers/camouflage country.
Gotcha. Not saying the "good ol' boys" don't exist in the coastal plain areas of the South, but from what I've seen, it appears that they exist in larger proportions to the rest of the population in the foothills and Appalachia.

Quote:
By the way, there's nothing "good ol' boy" about fishing. That's something that is common to all locations. It's a fun, recreational activity in which most catch and release. Hunting, on the other hand, doesn't allow kill and release. Plenty of people fish, a majority not "good ol' boys". Very few people hunt who are not "good ol' boys".
Fishing by itself, no. But it exists with the other activities that "good ol' boys" are known for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top