U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:56 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not from my perspective. I was born and raised in the Southern coastal plains area, and working in Appalachia I saw more pick-up trucks, camouflage, and Confederate flags than I ever did growing up.
What part of the coastal plain? What state? I know that in Georgia, you're more apt to find "good ol' boys" in south Georgia, on the coastal plain, far more than you are in the northern half of the state. The only area of northern Georgia which might be comparable are some parts of northwest Georgia, south of the Chattanooga metro and north of the Rome area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What part of the coastal plain? What state? I know that in Georgia, you're more apt to find "good ol' boys" in south Georgia, on the coastal plain, far more than you are in the northern half of the state. The only area of northern Georgia which might be comparable are some parts of northwest Georgia, south of the Chattanooga metro and north of the Rome area.
Same goes for SC where I live now. Places like Orangeburg in the coastal plains are loaded with good ole boys. Growing up in Alabama, south Alabama was much more good old boy than northern Alabama.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 AM

14,969 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Not from my perspective. I was born and raised in the Southern coastal plains area, and working in Appalachia I saw more pick-up trucks, camouflage, and Confederate flags than I ever did growing up.
It really depends one ones upbringing. Where i live here in Alabama, people raised out in rural areas tend to be the type mentioned by the OP, but as you get in more populated areas you'll notice younger guys wearing Hollister, skinny jeans, and flat bill caps. I'm seeing about a 50/50 mix lately.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It really depends one ones upbringing. Where i live here in Alabama, people raised out in rural areas tend to be the type mentioned by the OP, but as you get in more populated areas you'll notice younger guys wearing Hollister, skinny jeans, and flat bill caps. I'm seeing about a 50/50 mix lately.
Of course, I'm a good bit older, being in my thirties, but I've never understood why a large percentage of country boys bend the bill of their caps so much. I don't understand the fish hook in the cap. I don't understand the skoal can. I don't understand the fascination with camouflage, as it's not attractive. I don't understand the fascination with hunting, when all one has to do is drive to the grocery store. I don't understand any of it. It is so alien to anything that I grew up with, and I'm a native southerner. I didn't see any of that growing up.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:15 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,179,292 times
Quote:
Of course, I'm a good bit older, being in my thirties, but I've never understood why a large percentage of country boys bend the bill of their caps so much. I don't understand the fish hook in the cap. I don't understand the skoal can. I don't understand the fascination with camouflage, as it's not attractive. I don't understand the fascination with hunting, when all one has to do is drive to the grocery store. I don't understand any of it. It is so alien to anything that I grew up with, and I'm a native southerner. I didn't see any of that growing up.
I saw it all growing, but like you, I never understood it either. Of course, I don't understand most fads...

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM

14,969 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Yeah I don't get it either, and I've lived here my whole life. My taste of clothing involves Levis jeans and a nice polo shirt, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything camo. I went to school with kids that were into that stuff (kids that lived in the country), but I never was. Now that I'm 32, it's the same thing, about half the people I work with are "country", the other half are not.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:41 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
I'm not as familiar with south Georgia, but that's what I saw practically day in and day out during my tenure in Gilmer County. It may be a bit different in other parts of north Georgia, like Rome and Dalton. I think one reason why it's not quite as prevalent in the coastal plain areas, at least from my perspective, is because of the higher Black population. Many like to hunt and fish, but you won't see those other elements of "good ol' boy-ism" among that segment of the population like camouflage, pick-up trucks, etc.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not as familiar with south Georgia, but that's what I saw practically day in and day out during my tenure in Gilmer County. It may be a bit different in other parts of north Georgia, like Rome and Dalton. I think one reason why it's not quite as prevalent in the coastal plain areas, at least from my perspective, is because of the higher Black population. Many like to hunt and fish, but you won't see those other elements of "good ol' boy-ism" among that segment of the population like camouflage, pick-up trucks, etc.
From my perspective, I attended college in south Georgia. I went to college with many of these south Georgia boys, and many of them are "good ol' boy". I've traveled extensively throughout the state, and little comes close to the sheer level of this which you'll see in the southern part of the state. The closest it comes is the area north of Rome and south of Chattanooga. This area doesn't really consist of the city of Dalton, however, Yet, you will see this good ol boy environment fairly heavy in Gilmer County which is about the eastern-most extent of it, I'd say. In Blue Ridge, there's a high concentration of Atlanta natives and other transplants. The same goes for the other higher elevation north Georgia areas. Either you see that, or just a lot of the people are more or less the hiking/outdoorsy non-"redneck" type of country as opposed to the good ol boy skoal/four wheelers/camouflage country.

By the way, there's nothing "good ol' boy" about fishing. That's something that is common to all locations. It's a fun, recreational activity in which most catch and release. Hunting, on the other hand, doesn't allow kill and release. Plenty of people fish, a majority not "good ol' boys". Very few people hunt who are not "good ol' boys".

Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,164,912 times
Quote:
I don't know what it is either, but I remember from when I was young growing up in the 70s and 80s that country boys used to have a swag. Nice jeans, nice boots, nice shirt, nice clean hat. Now it seems all the stuff you talk about above is what is considered "cool" for some bizarre reason.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
From my perspective, I attended college in south Georgia. I went to college with many of these south Georgia boys, and many of them are "good ol' boy". I've traveled extensively throughout the state, and little comes close to the sheer level of this which you'll see in the southern part of the state. The closest it comes is the area north of Rome and south of Chattanooga. This area doesn't really consist of the city of Dalton, however, Yet, you will see this good ol boy environment fairly heavy in Gilmer County which is about the eastern-most extent of it, I'd say. In Blue Ridge, there's a high concentration of Atlanta natives and other transplants. The same goes for the other higher elevation north Georgia areas. Either you see that, or just a lot of the people are more or less the hiking/outdoorsy non-"redneck" type of country as opposed to the good ol boy skoal/four wheelers/camouflage country.
Gotcha. Not saying the "good ol' boys" don't exist in the coastal plain areas of the South, but from what I've seen, it appears that they exist in larger proportions to the rest of the population in the foothills and Appalachia.

Quote:
By the way, there's nothing "good ol' boy" about fishing. That's something that is common to all locations. It's a fun, recreational activity in which most catch and release. Hunting, on the other hand, doesn't allow kill and release. Plenty of people fish, a majority not "good ol' boys". Very few people hunt who are not "good ol' boys".
Fishing by itself, no. But it exists with the other activities that "good ol' boys" are known for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or