U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:06 AM

175 posts, read 253,684 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
Im not getting into any details about WHY we want to move, but we are looking to move out of Northeast Ohio to ...just about anywhere else. However, one of the big things we have to consider is that we are a family of 9, the two of us and our 7 kids under teens. We must move into a family-friendly place, of course, but not a 2-kid-2-SUV-soccer-mom suburb...we're early thirties and we're hoping to find some young families like us. We enjoy our children, and really they are everything to us, so we're hoping to find a place like that, not one where all the parents hire a babysitter every Friday and Saturday night to relive their favorite Katy Perry songs and the PTA moms will never accept you because you are 15 years younger and you didn't go to high school with them (and cause you have 7 kids).
We would like a place with great healthcare (a good hospital within a 20-minute drive is a must, I have one with asthma), great public schools (not just good, but great...especially if they have an arts and sciences middle and high school-someplace that does a lot for gifted/advanced kids and for kids who need some extra help-we have a whole range here), lots of community events and things to do for families, decent air/water quality (I thought we'd have that here...), a fair and good-functioning government with good services (I do not like paying for trash pickup...if I have to, though, I will), maybe a YMCA or something like that, hopefully sidewalks but if not that's not a dealbreaker...really just an all-around good community.
I would hope it's not too high on the wealthy scale either because we're just not that type of people, we just wouldn't fit in. But it can't be the opposite either...I don't know exactly how to describe the opposite, but it's where people work so hard all their lives for nothing and it never occurs to them that life shouldn't be that way.
I don't really care about cost of living. We are not wealthy, compared to some, but we'll make it work where ever we go. I would like it to be generally affordable, and a place that's truly stable as far as supporting their schools, police, fire, community, etc.
The place could be urban, rural, suburban, whatever...but it should be a place that has a good inventory of very large, affordable houses that are not ugly McMansions.
I know this might be asking alot, but this is America! It must be here somewhere! My kids deserve it! We'll find it! Yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 11:36 AM

50 posts, read 128,054 times
Leawood or Overland Park, Kansas sound perfect for you. They are both suburbs of Kansas City. I live in Leawood with my 4 kids, and Overland Park is right next to us. It is about as family friendly as it gets. While we do take date night about every other weekend, there are loads of activities to do as a family. I am on the PTA at my daughter's elementary school and it is wonderful. The other women are very dedicated and we spend lots of time in the classrooms helping out. There are a few great hospitals in the area (I have 3 crazy boys and a girl, needless to say we have spent a lot of time there). The public schools are incredible. The majority of my children's teachers have been amazing. I have one son with ADD and the schools are very helpful towards him.

I know when people think of Kansas they think of farms. And that is true of most of Kansas. But the Kansas City area is wonderful. The suburbs have a great community where everyone knows their neighbors and care about each other, leading it to feel like a small town at times. But there is actually loads of stuff to do, like in a big city. There are movie theaters and malls and restaurants of every price range and food type. My favorite activity to do as a family is going to the public pool in the summer. Leawood has an incredible place with three large, really fun pools. During the summer it is packed with all our friends from the community.

As for the price, there is a wide variety of homes. There are some rather expensive communities, and there are some very inexpensive. What ever your price range is, you can find it. Basically, Leawood or Overland Park sound perfect for you

Old 12-18-2011, 02:08 PM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
You might check out Greensboro, North Carolina.

It has a number of excellent public/public charter schools, two of which are early college programs for high school students (Guilford College and Guilford Technical Community College affiliations) as well as the Academy at Smith and other highly ranked elementary/middle schools too.

There are excellent hospitals nearby, ranging from Moses Cone Hospital and Wesley Long Hospital in Greensboro to neighboring Winston Salem's Wake Forest University Medical Center and Forsyth Medical Center.

Greensboro is very much a family city with lots of city recreation, YMCAs, farmers markets, fairs, parks and greenspace.

The air quality is fairly good to my knowledge and would be lacking in the air pollution inversions you most likely encounter in the very cold weather in NE Ohio. I don't know about water quality but it always seemed good when visiting friends there. The US Department of Energy awarded the city entry into the Clean Cities Hall of Fame recently.

The city is pretty affordable in my opinion, with 4 bedroom-2.5/3 bath homes running around 150K-175K in the well-established middle class areas in the north/northwest/west sections of the city. The city offers the usual spectrum of services such as trash/recycling without additional cost.

Here's some links for information:

City of Greensboro, NC : City Arts
City of Greensboro, NC : Youth Sports
City of Greensboro, NC : Cultural Center at Festival Park
City of Greensboro, NC : Sports Facilities
Prospective Parents - Prospective Parents

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 PM

56,517 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Ithaca NY and vicinity. Ithaca is a diverse college town with very good schools in a district that has students from urban, suburban and rural settings. It is in the Finger Lakes region and has a good arts scene too. There is the Sciencenter: Sciencenter, Ithaca NY , a Y: YMCA of Ithaca & Tompkins County , the Greater Ithaca Activities Center: Ithaca, NY - Departments - Greater Ithaca Activities Center and great Parks.

Another place you may like is Corning NY, which has the Corning Museum of Glass: Corning Museum of Glass - Kids and Teens Free! (19 and under) , good schools with great programs and sports teams, a Y: CORNING COMMUNITY YMCA BULLETIN: , a good arts scene including the Orchestra of the Southern Finger Lakes: Home | osfl and more in nearby Elmira.

This can help in terms of Upstate NY school districts: Academic rankings of Upstate NY school districts

Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM

So far these are all places we have been considering also, especially NC...quite a few people have suggested that area.

I do have my oldest daughter (12) who is trying to start a music career also, we were wondering if we should stay within a 2 hour-drive of LA or NYC so she has more chances to work, and then she wants to go to college for international studies...my oldest son wants to go to college for video game design, which is one of the more expensive career choices if you want to do it right; next son down might want to be an architect-the others are all little still...I'm hoping whatever place we go to has great in-state colleges because I'm looking at 4 in college at the same time at almost any given time when they hit that age. Yeesh!

Last edited by thebpseven; 12-20-2011 at 01:10 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 05:05 PM

For your 3 children, I don't know if all can do state colleges/universities in NY, but you may get financial aid or scholarships too. I know that Potsdam State(SUNY-Potsdam) has a good music school. Rochester Institute of Technology is a top school for video game design. Finger Lakes Community Community College has that program as well, along with Mohawk Valley CC and Stony Brook University. Cornell in Ithaca and Syracuse University are top architecture schools, with the University of Buffalo having an architecture program as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-20-2011 at 05:24 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 PM

5,012 posts, read 4,714,579 times
Williamson County, TN, just south of Nashville would be a good choice. Large families are common, great schools- 5 of the 8 highschools usually make the Newsweek Best Schools list.
It is one of the wealthiest counties in the country (I think 17th currently), but most people are really down to earth. You will find more couponers than private plane owners.
Tons of music here, and not just country. My children go to public school with big name singers, songwriters, etc. Our elementary school has songwriter's nights, songwriter's workshops at school.
We have several fantastic YMCAs, one of which bought out an upscale tennis club, so it has fabulous amenities.
Housing is reasonable compared to other communities with the same level of schools- for around $400K you can buy a house in some of the better school areas. Average for the best high school is a little over $600K.
We do have to pay for trash pickup. There are some McMansions, but also plenty of ranch houses, and in downtown Franklin, some gorgeous historic homes, although those are really expensive per square foot.
I would add Williamson County to your list to consider. We have transplants from all over and pretty much everyone I talk to says they love it here. It's just a great family place where it's easy to live.

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 12-20-2011 at 06:56 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 07:21 PM

I just loved Tennesee when I have been there, last time being in 2009 for Pokemon championships at Gaylord in Nashville. I really like Knoxville too. Beautiful state, we'll really have to consider that!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For your 3 children, I don't know if all can do state colleges/universities in NY, but you may get financial aid or scholarships too. I know that Potsdam State(SUNY-Potsdam) has a good music school. Rochester Institute of Technology is a top school for video game design. Finger Lakes Community Community College has that program as well, along with Mohawk Valley CC and Stony Brook University. Cornell in Ithaca and Syracuse University are top architecture schools, with the University of Buffalo having an architecture program as well.
I forgot about this school of music too: Eastman School of Music

Here is some information on some of the districts in NY you may like: Ithaca City School District - Home

CPP Website - Home

Oneonta City School District

Fayetteville-Manlius Schools

Pittsford Central School District

Williamsville Central School District

New Hartford CSD - District Home

Welcome To Vestal Central School District

Niskayuna Central School District - Niskayuna, New York

Bethlehem Central School District - Delmar, NY

Saratoga Springs City School District

Potsdam Central School

Plattsburgh City School District

and many more.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Wow, you really gave me a lot of good information to look through (and I am a thorough type.) Thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or