U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do some people view the south as rural and the northeast as urban
Ignorance-They haven't traveled or studied enough to know otherwise. Plus, the media feeds them this belief. 35 71.43%
They've traveled enough, but they allow their prejudices to cloud reality. The media reinforces their prejudice. 14 28.57%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,582,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ok and without Atlanta...

The fact is the corrider does in fact exist

Both have rural and urban places

The urban in NE is more urban and cohesive

It isnt an either or
What about the other regions? Are you going to call them "rural"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
It is more cohesively developed? So I suppose North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, northern areas of Michigan, most of Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Missouri are developed?

near the population centers, absolutely and they are far closer to one another

Using your assertion no place is, especially the South

Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
Quote:
What about the other regions? Are you going to call them "rural"?

As I have SAID a million times in this thread, there absolutely are large rural areas in all parts of the country

Central PA is about as rural as it gets

Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 AM

40,170 posts, read 24,392,802 times
Quote:
They're northern states, and they never seem to get the bum rap of being called "rural". Well, Iowa does, but just replace rural with cornfields. The other three, however, are rarely called "rural".

Also address the Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, upstate New York and Pennsylvania, a majority of the northeast, and if you think it is more urban than the South?
If I live in rural Vermont, how quickly can I get to a major metropolitan area?

If I live in Iowa, what's the longest it will take me to get to a major city?

Is Little Rock, AR even considered a major city, even if it's the capital and largest city in Arkansas?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,115,088 times
Quote:
So the south is second?
No, the south is not second. In that map , the south is across 3 regions: Delta States, Southeast, and parts of Appalachia and Southern plains.

Plus that "southeast" region includes Miami and south Florida. I don't know if i'd call that "The South".

Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM

17,307 posts, read 19,585,657 times
Quote:
They're northern states, and they never seem to get the bum rap of being called "rural". Well, Iowa does, but just replace rural with cornfields. The other three, however, are rarely called "rural".

Also address the Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, upstate New York and Pennsylvania, a majority of the northeast, and if you think it is more urban than the South?
Maybe it's a matter of personal experience and perception? I've always known most of Pennsylvania (outside Philly and Pittsburgh) and upstate New York to be rural and filled farms, mountains, forests and small towns. Also, anybody who's been to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont will recognize those states to be basically rural. Who says they aren't?

Heck, even Maryland is rural outside the Baltimore-Washington metro area on both sides. Part of the beauty of the northeast is that it has both great urban cities as well as vast rural stretches.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-22-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,233,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Austin folks are not Southern. Austin is located somewhere between Portland and San Francisco. At least it is in their minds.
Could've fooled me. I sure as hell felt like I was in the south when I was in Austin. They had southern accents, ate southern food, were bible-thumpers, conservative, and Austin had the feel of the "New South."

Old 12-23-2011, 03:16 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,098,439 times
It's just a sterotype.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,098,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Could've fooled me. I sure as hell felt like I was in the south when I was in Austin. They had southern accents, ate southern food, were bible-thumpers, conservative, and Austin had the feel of the "New South."

Austin is filled with liberals who are cowboys. lol

Old 12-23-2011, 05:48 PM

16,744 posts, read 23,191,618 times
Quote:
The southern states are rural? Really?

So Florida is rural but Wisconsin is not?

So Georgia is rural, but Minnesota is not?

So North Carolina is rural, but Michigan is not?

So Texas is rural, but Maine is not?

So Tennessee is rural, but Vermont is not?

So Virginia is rural, but Indiana is not?

So Louisiana is rural, but Iowa is not?

So Georgia is rural, but Pennslvania is not?

What about the west that has so much uninhabited land?

What about much of the western midwest that is far more rural than the South, and the rest of the midwest, outside a few areas, which is typical of the South?

What about upper New England.

When it comes down to it, it seems like you're saying that the South is rural because it doesn't match up to the northeast Megalopolis, but couldn't you say the same for the rest of the country, including non-megalopolis northeast? It's also a bit of a crazy comparison. The megalopolis is a very small area. It's like taking the Piedmont Atlantic area of the South and using it as a measuring stick against the midwest, claiming that most of the midwest is rural, despite the fact that it has numerous populated areas.
1) Weren't we talking about South vs Northeast, not the Midwest?

2) Yes, the South can't really match up to the Northeast Megalopolis. It's not good or bad. It is what it is. Find me an area as tiny and dense as the Boswash and I'll digress. Until then, .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or