U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
376 posts, read 347,227 times
Reputation: 458

Advertisements

Baltimore:

Baltimore City, undoubtably the core city of the Baltimore Metropolitan Area and arguably the State of Maryland, is smaller than Baltimore County. The 2010 Census shows Baltimore City with 621,000 residents and neighboring Baltimore County with 805,000 residents. For those unfamiliar with the Baltimore region, Baltimore City and Baltimore County are completely separate entities. Baltimore City is an independent city and operates essentially as if it were its own separate county (Baltimore City is the largest independent city in the United States). The State of Maryland made it illegal for Baltimore City to annex additional land in the 1920s without the unanimous approval of the state's 23 counties.

A map below illustrates the unique geographic relationship between Baltimore City and Baltimore County:



In addition to Baltimore City & Baltimore County, the Baltimore Metropolitan Area is made up of five more counties. Below is a list of the entities that make up the Baltimore Metro and their populations:

Baltimore County - 805,000
Baltimore City - 621,000
Anne Arundel County - 538,000 (Home of Annapolis, Maryland's capital)
Howard County - 287,000
Harford County - 245,000
Carroll County - 167,000
Queen Anne's County - 48,000 (Queen Anne's & Anne Arundel linked via Bay Bridge)

Baltimore Metro - 2,711,000

Map of Maryland with counties:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,446 posts, read 10,094,160 times
Reputation: 5926
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Baltimore:

Baltimore City, undoubtably the core city of the Baltimore Metropolitan Area and arguably the State of Maryland, is smaller than Baltimore County. The 2010 Census shows Baltimore City with 621,000 residents and neighboring Baltimore County with 805,000 residents. For those unfamiliar with the Baltimore region, Baltimore City and Baltimore County are completely separate entities. Baltimore City is an independent city and operates essentially as if it were its own separate county (Baltimore City is the largest independent city in the United States). The State of Maryland made it illegal for Baltimore City to annex additional land in the 1920s without the unanimous approval of the state's 23 counties.

A map below illustrates the unique geographic relationship between Baltimore City and Baltimore County:



In addition to Baltimore City & Baltimore County, the Baltimore Metropolitan Area is made up of five more counties. Below is a list of the entities that make up the Baltimore Metro and their populations:

Baltimore County - 805,000
Baltimore City - 621,000
Anne Arundel County - 538,000 (Home of Annapolis, Maryland's capital)
Howard County - 287,000
Harford County - 245,000
Carroll County - 167,000
Queen Anne's County - 48,000 (Queen Anne's & Anne Arundel linked via Bay Bridge)

Baltimore Metro - 2,711,000

Map of Maryland with counties:
These are counties, not cities. The OP was speaking of incorporated cities. In Atlanta, the suburban counties of DeKalb, Cobb and Gwinnett all surpassed the city of Atlanta some time ago. The remaining portions of Fulton, Atlanta's primary county, are about the same as Atlanta itself. I am sure there are many other examples like this in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,834 posts, read 12,351,284 times
Reputation: 4787
Baltimore and Washington, D.C. are completely different cities and metro areas just next to each other they are not suburbs of each other.

But within the DC area, I've read that Tysons Corner, VA while population wise smaller than the District, now far surpasses DC in terms of office space, and that it actually has more office space than downtown St. Louis, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh combined. The DC area has far more jobs and commerce in the "suburbs" than in downtown Washington which doesn't have much aside from the federal government.

Scottsdale and Tempe, Arizona are very fast growing areas within the Phoenix metropolitan area. I think the city of Las Vegas itself is also quite small and the Strip is actually located in Paradise, Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
376 posts, read 347,227 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
These are counties, not cities. The OP was speaking of incorporated cities. In Atlanta, the suburban counties of DeKalb, Cobb and Gwinnett all surpassed the city of Atlanta some time ago. The remaining portions of Fulton, Atlanta's primary county, are about the same as Atlanta itself. I am sure there are many other examples like this in the country.
But Baltimore City itself is essentially its own county...so its definitely relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: The City
22,341 posts, read 32,215,169 times
Reputation: 7749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Baltimore and Washington, D.C. are completely different cities and metro areas just next to each other they are not suburbs of each other.

But within the DC area, I've read that Tysons Corner, VA while population wise smaller than the District, now far surpasses DC in terms of office space, and that it actually has more office space than downtown St. Louis, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh combined. The DC area has far more jobs and commerce in the "suburbs" than in downtown Washington which doesn't have much aside from the federal government.

Scottsdale and Tempe, Arizona are very fast growing areas within the Phoenix metropolitan area. I think the city of Las Vegas itself is also quite small and the Strip is actually located in Paradise, Nevada.
Or is 1/5th the size on office space and 1/20th the population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM
 
Location: The City
22,341 posts, read 32,215,169 times
Reputation: 7749
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
But Baltimore City itself is essentially its own county...so its definitely relevant.

While the city is relevant how is this relationship different from many areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,835,055 times
Reputation: 11141
Back to the Denver/Aurora discussion...I was searching the web the other day and noticed that the land area of Aurora was actually LARGER than Denver's. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM
 
340 posts, read 650,391 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
But Baltimore City itself is essentially its own county...so its definitely relevant.
but u still comparing a city to a county and thats not what he's asking.. now if towson population was competing with baltimore then you would have an argument.

pg countys population is greater then dc, same for montgomery county and im sure there are alot of counties surrounding cities with a larger population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,446 posts, read 10,094,160 times
Reputation: 5926
There is a good possibility that Fort Worth will surpass Dallas in population within a few decades. Dallas is pretty hemmed in by suburbs, only has room to expand in the far SE corner and that is NOT where the growth is going. Fort Worth had stagnated with less than 400,000 thru the 60s, 70s and into the 80s but aggressive annexations since has seen the population almost double. Several suburbs on the south, west and northwest are completely surrounded by FW now and the city has room to keep expanding if it wishes. While Dallas still has an advantage around 450,000, it barely grew (11,000) between the last two censuses whereas Fort Worth grew over 200,000. Two or three more census reports like that and Fort Worth will surpass Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 PM
 
Location: South St Louis
3,795 posts, read 3,460,871 times
Reputation: 1957
The best example of a single suburb surpassing the principal city in population is when Virginia Beach outgrew Norfolk. And if I remember correctly, when this happened, the census bureau had to give top billing to VB by changing the name of the metro area from Norfolk-Portsmouth-Virginia Beach to Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top