Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM

162 posts, read 153,809 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm a 23 yr old black male that is looking to relocate after graduating next semester. I currently live in New York (Brooklyn) and I have lived here my entire life. I have been here for far too long and I feel like I need to see what life is like elsewhere, and to experience how it is to live completely on my own (although most of my life has been like that already). I want to move elsewhere in the US, so if you have an idea of a city or state that matches my preferences listed below, your suggestions are much appreciated. I am graduating with a BA in early childhood ed and I would be working as an elementary school teacher.

I am looking for an area that is diverse and not apprehensive to blacks, clean (much cleaner and more maintained than Brooklyn), safe, and perhaps consists of other young singles. I am not really an outgoing person. In my free time I just like to chill and play video games, go see new movies or go to restaurants.

I wanted to avoid writing a novel but obviously the more information i give, the easier it will be to get a response. Failing to plan is planning to fail. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 07:28 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
You might check out Durham, North Carolina.

It's part of the much larger Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metro area. Durham of the three is the most diverse racially and has a lot going on in terms of things to do. It's refreshingly clean compared to the Northeast US (I've lived in Durham and Philly, which compares favorably to Brooklyn) and is quite safe generally. The population skews younger in Durham thanks to the presence of Duke University and the University of North Carolina 15 minutes to the south in Chapel Hill. The Research Triangle Park is located in Durham and employs tens of thousands of young professionals. Durham also consistently ranks as one of the "smartest cities" due to it's high density of residents with PhDs. The public school system is diverse in Durham, though it doesn't fare as well overall as the Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools which are among the best in the nation. The Cary-Apex schools are quite good and would be a reasonable commute from Durham as would the Orange County schools to the south of Chapel Hill.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Thank you for your reply. I would also like to factor in that I do not have a car, therefore I would be taking public transportation. I am also looking for a place where the cost of living is relatively low, unlike New York (which seems to only be getting worse). Does Durham, NC still fit the bill? Any other suggestions as well? Thank you

Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 AM

148 posts, read 234,268 times
Without a car, your choices will be Chicago, SF, Philly, Boston, and DC. Other cities have public transportation, but it will be hard to manage without having a car at all.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
Without a car, your choices will be Chicago, SF, Philly, Boston, and DC. Other cities have public transportation, but it will be hard to manage without having a car at all.
Out of those choices Chicago catches my eye the most. Do you have any suggestions as far as where in Chicago I might want to look into?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might check out Durham, North Carolina.

It's part of the much larger Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metro area. Durham of the three is the most diverse racially and has a lot going on in terms of things to do. It's refreshingly clean compared to the Northeast US (I've lived in Durham and Philly, which compares favorably to Brooklyn) and is quite safe generally. The population skews younger in Durham thanks to the presence of Duke University and the University of North Carolina 15 minutes to the south in Chapel Hill. The Research Triangle Park is located in Durham and employs tens of thousands of young professionals. Durham also consistently ranks as one of the "smartest cities" due to it's high density of residents with PhDs. The public school system is diverse in Durham, though it doesn't fare as well overall as the Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools which are among the best in the nation. The Cary-Apex schools are quite good and would be a reasonable commute from Durham as would the Orange County schools to the south of Chapel Hill.
What does Durham's public transportation look like? Is a car an extreme necessity?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
You also may want to look into Atlanta, as long as you stay (live and work) along the MARTA line you can mostly live car free. Also Atlanta is better integrated and a change of pace from BK. To me Chicago has more of the grit of BK (lessor extent in the nicer areas)

Just a thought

DC is expensive and Philly is more gritty like BK

Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
What does Durham's public transportation look like? Is a car an extreme necessity?
A car will definitely be a necessity in Durham.

Since you don't have a car, you'd do well to look into cities with good public transportation, including rail. Chicago has great rail coverage and is relatively inexpensive for a big city. I agree with kidphilly in that DC and Philly, while both have good PT, have those same elements in Brooklyn that you're looking to get away from. I'd also look in Atlanta (pretty easy to find apartments with decent rents close to a MARTA line) and Dallas (which has pretty good light rail coverage).

Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 PM

I wanted a place that wasn't too far from New York because that is where my family will still be (I still want to be close to home). Thanks for the sound advice. I am not really interested in Atlanta as I have visited there often and I didn't really like it. I guess I should find out a bit more about Chicago in regards to an ideal place to reside for someone like me.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:34 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
I wanted a place that wasn't too far from New York because that is where my family will still be (I still want to be close to home). Thanks for the sound advice. I am not really interested in Atlanta as I have visited there often and I didn't really like it. I guess I should find out a bit more about Chicago in regards to an ideal place to reside for someone like me.
With that in mind, sounds like Chicago is your only real option right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.