U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM

121 posts, read 387,876 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as how to reach out and meet new people in an unfamiliar area.
I usually meet people and make friends at church. On Sunday went to church for first time and[/SIZE] realized that there are some possibilities for friendships with similar aged women with kids, but the members are so spread apart in this area I don't know how that would ever be more than just a Sunday friendship.

We've been in our new neighborhood 2 weeks now and no one has stopped by and when we are outside, or leaving and coming we haven't run into anyone or seen anyone. Do I make cookies and go to THEIR house and introduce ourselves? I know someone had to notice us moving in. The house was vacant when we bought it and we had a giant moving truck in front of the house for an entire day with movers working. We are a very active family, you couldn't miss the fact the house is now occupied by a family.

Last edited by Marka; 01-04-2012 at 04:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 06:55 PM

551 posts, read 997,275 times
You could go to meetup.com and put where you live, then it will show you meetup related schedules to find people who have similar interests to you. You mght be able to make friends there and its all over the US so I think you'd find something.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 AM

643 posts, read 1,293,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauljrnicole View Post
I'm curious as how to reach out and meet new people in a unfamiliar area.
I usually meet people and make friends at church. On Sunday went to church for first time and realized that there are some possibilities for friendships with similar aged women with kids, but the members are so spread apart in this area I don't know how that would ever be more than just a Sunday friendship.

We've been in our new neighborhood 2 weeks now and no one has stopped by and when we are outside, or leaving and coming we haven't ran into anyone or seen anyone. Do I make cookies and go to THEIR house and introduce ourselves? I know someone had to notice us moving in. The house was vacant when we bought it and we had a giant moving truck in front of the house for an entire day with movers working. We are a very active family, you couldn't miss the fact the house is now occupied by a family.

It's a nice newer neighborhood with large homes. Not all the lots have been built so it's not a full neighborhood, still quiet and small, spread out.

I'm thinking about putting my twins in a co-op preschool and hopefully being involved in that it can help me make some friends.
What burb did you land in? Some Chicago suburbs are easier than others to meet people, and quite frankly, just friendlier. Did you use a realtor? IME, realtors can quite often provide some suggestions about social opportunities and groups, or even make some introductions. Volunteering (in just about anything) has worked for me in dozens of moves all over the country -- but I'm betting that with pre-school aged twins you're very busy!! I think the preschool idea sounds like an opporunity.

It will get easier very soon, as your children get a bit older. Once they're in kindergarten you have all of those other parents. Volunteer for lot of things at the school and you'll have an entire social network so fast it will make your head spin. Many (if not most) Chicago suburbs are great places to raise children (I did so), so hang in there!

Old 12-23-2011, 12:43 PM

189 posts, read 559,226 times
I'm also new here in Chicago. maybe we can be friends yey!

Old 12-23-2011, 12:45 PM

10,558 posts, read 13,127,017 times
In a lot of suburban areas people are anti-social.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 PM

469 posts, read 765,827 times
I'm also new to Chicago! I go to the bar as often as possible, go to punk shows, and chill at the skatepark. It's kinda hard meeting people my age (26) now that I am through with school.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:07 AM

121 posts, read 387,876 times
I'm out in "BFE, i.e. the boonies. The woman who lived here before said that only one person ever talked to her, when she left her trunk open. I also heard another lady say that the Midwest people keep to themselves. So, yes IF I get time to volunteer I will hopefully meet more peeps.
I don't do the club scenes anymore. I havekids. I usually make mom friends and our kids play. I guess I was hoping for a "welcome to the neighborhood!" sort of thing. It IS the holiday though.

Last edited by Marka; 01-04-2012 at 04:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or