Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Dallas is a far, far cry from an outdoorsman's paradise. Even Austin is iffy, there are lots of recreation options in town but nothing that compares to what Seattle, California, or Colorado can offer.
I have a couple friends who moved from Texas to Seattle and love it here. Instead of a 4 hour drive to a state park with some hills, its 40 min to paradise in the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I have a couple friends who moved from Texas to Seattle and love it here. Instead of a 4 hour drive to a state park with some hills, its 40 min to paradise in the mountains.
Well, there are state parks within Austin city limits and plenty of nice green space...6 hours to the nearest nat'l park though, lol. But I have no delusions that it's in anywhere near the same class as the PacNW I'm an avid outdoorsman who lived for 15 years in Colorado, and I imagine eventually I'll eventually end up back there or even Seattle! There's a user on the Austin forum who loved the outdoors, and loved Austin, but after several years it just couldn't satisfy her family's craving for outdoor activities, now they live in Seattle.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Don't go to the east coast period if you are an outdoors person. Too many rude people and awful weather this side of the country. You picked many good choices. Go to Colorado. Don't look back.
You are talking about a vast area that varies, even in the Northeast.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
You'd better rule out Texas. The summers are miserable and they last forever. To be outside is terrible and the potential for heat stroke is there. I'm not kidding; they will knock you to your knees.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Don't go to the east coast period if you are an outdoors person. Too many rude people and awful weather this side of the country. You picked many good choices. Go to Colorado. Don't look back.
Huh??? How is the weather more awful in the eastern half? Besides that "rude people" are everywhere and is typically more a reflection of one's self than others.

Also according to the experts, there are a number of standouts. Here's a few shout-outs:

HowStuffWorks "North Conway, New Hampshire"
HowStuffWorks "Boone, North Carolina"
HowStuffWorks "Portland, Maine"
Travel to St. Johnsbury, Vermont - National Geographic Adventure Magazine
Travel to Waynesville, North Carolina - National Geographic Adventure Magazine
Travel to Knoxville, Tennessee - National Geographic Adventure Magazine
Best Towns 2010: Chattanooga, Tennessee | Tennessee | OutsideOnline.com
Best Towns 2010: Waitsfield, Vermont | Adventure Travel Guide | OutsideOnline.com
Best Towns 2010: Portland, Maine | Maine | OutsideOnline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.