Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Gulf Coast Destination would you choose?
Louisiana 5 16.13%
Mississippi 2 6.45%
Alabama 3 9.68%
Florida Panhandle 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times

Advertisements

You've probably seen the ad on TV by now. As much as I disdain BP, I'll have to admit seeing the ad makes the Gulf Coast look like a very appealing vacation and perhaps has me fixin for a trip down there in the future. Which one would you choose? Discuss....

Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida Panhandle

http://www.youtube.com/bp?x=us_priorities_496_10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,056 times
Louisiana doesn't have beaches as far as I know.

Mississippi has nice beaches and scenery, but the water is dark and there aren't really any waves due to the Mississippi River dumping into the Gulf and the barrier islands. The other side of Ship Island has clear water, but it is several miles offshore, while still being a part of Mississippi.

Alabama has nice beaches and the water is clearer with a few waves since it is farther from where the Mississippi River dumps into the Gulf.

The Florida panhandle is probably your best bet because of Destin, Pensacola, and Panama City. The beaches are better than MS and AL, and there will be more to do. The downside is it may be more crowded.

I have an affinity for the Mississippi Gulf coast, but that's just me. The normal person on vacation would probably want to visit Florida, then Alabama, then Mississippi in that order.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
I don't notice much difference between Alabama (Baldwin County) and Florida panhandle beaches.

Mississippi's beaches are not impressive IMO, and Louisianas... no thanks.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
I've never been to the Alabama part of the Gulf Coast, but the Florida panhandle has some of the nicest white sand beaches in the US. Just really nice, soft sand... The cities are okay as far as Gulf Coast beach resorts go--I've never spent much time in Pensacola or Fort Walton--but there's a couple nice smaller towns right on the beach--and for the most part you get your money's worth for a beach vacation. Nothing flashy, but still nice.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't notice much difference between Alabama (Baldwin County) and Florida panhandle beaches.

Mississippi's beaches are not impressive IMO, and Louisianas... no thanks.
Ya, I know. Mississippi beaches aren't that good for swimming, but when I go to the coast I don't really swim anyway. Before Katrina, Mississippi's coast had a character about it that Florida and Alabama beaches don't have.

Instead of condos, the MS gulf coast had grand old homes lining highway 90 along the beach, trees, the SS Camille, washed up along the side of the highway kept painted and in good condition as a reminder of Camille, etc.

Sadly, most of that is gone and the MS gulf coast may never be the same. It will probably follow the same path as Florida and build condos, etc.

When we go to the coast we eat seafood, and bring some home for later, sit under the bridge on the bay and watch the sunset, etc.

Depends on what you go for, and we just prefer a more working class coastal environment instead of touristy.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM

4,995 posts, read 9,141,028 times
Baldwin County (Alabama) are the same as the panhandle with the sugar white sand and all....And I love the charecter of Mississippi beaches before katrina as well !

Old 12-20-2011, 02:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Florida Panhandle easily if just for the beach... Though in the commercial they mention New Orleans, so in that case...?
FL easily has the best beaches and it isn't close. AL has some similar ones but if you are looking to party, they won't have that and you have less options. I don't think there is boutique shopping either around Orange Beach/Gulf Shores such as you might find in Destin.
MS beaches IMO are not worth going to if you are making a long journey, nor are Louisiana's.
If you want to do deep sea fishing, the ports along Panama City and Destin drop off into deep water quicker also...
Mississippi probably hast the most historic districts around Biloxi/Ocean Springs.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,438 times
I have to agree with the majority here. The Florida panhandle has the best beaches in the general area. Alabama's are pretty nice and Mississippi's have been in the past although I don't know what condition they are in as of late. Louisiana has only a couple of beaches and they are not really beach playgrounds; rather they're for fishing. Seriously, better off in Florida.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:03 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,895,841 times
They all have their advantages. I think there is some really pretty scenery along the Gulf Coast in Mississippi and Louisiana. Of course New Orleans is close to the Gulf and is a fantastic place to visit for great nightlife, wonderful food, lively music and beautiful architecture. If you want beaches then Florida offers the most variety (Destin and Fort Walton are particularly nice) with a few nice ones in Alabama as well (Gulf Shores and Orange Beach).

Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
You've probably seen the ad on TV by now. As much as I disdain BP, I'll have to admit seeing the ad makes the Gulf Coast look like a very appealing vacation and perhaps has me fixin for a trip down there in the future. Which one would you choose? Discuss....

Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida Panhandle

BPplc's Channel - YouTube
I saw that commercial, and I wondered why they didn't include Texas, until I remembered that our state wasn't really hit by the spill. BP is just doing some damage control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.