U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 6,961 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!
I want to study in the US for 2 years, but since I've never been overseas I dont have much of an idea which city fits best to me. So I would be very thankful for any advice.

My profile:
Born and raised in Berlin. Living in Vienna at the moment.
Currently studying at the University of Vienna and running an e-commerce business besides.
Budget for apartment rent: 1500-2000 USD.
I speak German, Spanish and French.

What Im looking for:
A city with lots of possibilities. Preferably in a warm climate.
Nice people. I dont need this "being-overly direct" and "100% correct" attitude from Germany and Austria.
I like to play soccer, tennis and go skiing.
I've been to all the major party spots in Europe (Ibiza, Amsterdam, Berlin, Barcelona, St. Tropez etc.) and love to go out. However all my friends told me the party scene in the US is way more restrictive and there's nothing comparable. Anyway I dont necessarily need the big club action. Just looking for a city with a good nightlife.
Since I just broke up with my girlfriend I'm also looking for a city with beautiful women but I think they can be found everywhere.

My first ideas: Miami Beach, San Diego, New York, L.A.

Any reommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,463,501 times
LA or SD.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Why not Miami?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM

6,436 posts, read 9,970,590 times
Cross San Diego and Miami off your lists. San Diego would be a drag to you. Everything closes at like 10 am. Miami is WAY too hot and humid and third world-like compared to Germany and Austria. Almost nobody speaks english. Nice people are a rarity. Traffic is horrible. And people are ultra rude and materialistic. You really want to avoid that place like the plague. I mean, sure, the partying scene is very comparable to Europe but then you have to deal with all the above and more issues. I live in FL and I'm leaving next year so I'm trying to help the world by telling them to avoid coming here. I would definitely reccomend either New York or Los Angeles.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:26 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,831,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Cross San Diego and Miami off your lists. San Diego would be a drag to you. Everything closes at like 10 am. Miami is WAY too hot and humid and third world-like compared to Germany and Austria. Almost nobody speaks english. Nice people are a rarity. Traffic is horrible. And people are ultra rude and materialistic. You really want to avoid that place like the plague. I mean, sure, the partying scene is very comparable to Europe but then you have to deal with all the above and more issues. I live in FL and I'm leaving next year so I'm trying to help the world by telling them to avoid coming here. I would definitely reccomend either New York or Los Angeles.
I'm nice.
I only speak English.
In fact, practically everyone in Miami Beach speaks English.
Miami Beach has a large European representation now with most countries represented.
I live in Miami Beach.
I have a lot of great friends in Miami Beach.
I live on the beach and work from home.
I can highly recommend it

Old 12-20-2011, 03:09 PM

I have read there is lot of poverty in Miami, but third world-like? I thought Miami Beach is a nice place with lots of tourists (so it can't be that bad huh?). What is true now?

Unfortunately I dont have time to visit all the US cities in mind before I move there. So I'm really dependent from some quality advices.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:14 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,248,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Baloney. San Diego is perhaps one of the nicest cities to live in these United States.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,356,601 times
Possibly Austin, TX if you wanted to study at the University of Texas at Austin...lots of international students there. Looking at your criteria, it has a prominent reputable university, warm weather, nice people, outdoorsy, beautiful women and a vibrant nightlife. No skiing. You could live very well here on that budget.

I've never been to Miami, but both LA and SD have great national universities and fulfill many of your requirements.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Baloney. San Diego is perhaps one of the nicest cities to live in these United States.
I didn't say it wasn't nice. I said it would be a drag to a party guy like the OP. San Diego nightlife is nowhere near anything compared to Europe. Not to mention how conservative SD is.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Benz View Post
I have read there is lot of poverty in Miami, but third world-like? I thought Miami Beach is a nice place with lots of tourists (so it can't be that bad huh?). What is true now?
Well it IS nice. However, when you cross the bridge, you are basically entering Cuba FL. Miami is VERY third-world. And the weather is simply awful in the summer with very high humidity. People are ULTRA-rude and materialistic. If you don't want to deal with those types of people, I'd suggest you stay away entirely. NY and LA will be way more suitable to your liking. Even though LA is basically the same. They are much nicer however with better weather.

Quote:
Unfortunately I dont have time to visit all the US cities in mind before I move there. So I'm really dependent from some quality advices.
Well I'm a Floridian and I'm giving you quality advice about Florida. Don't move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or