Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,616,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
we made it fashionable. we made it acceptable regardless of race. and ppl been rocking flannels in ny since you were in kindergarten.

NY made it more mainstream because you can't make something fashionable if it's already fashionable in certain areas. I know that I'm nitpicking but I had to say that, other than that, I know what you're getting at.
"with the red and black lumberjack and the hat to match"
-biggie

(for example)

a lumberjack is a flannel.

anyway the youth wasn't rocking them hard like they are now along with their scarves, shades, etc. until we started doing it.

all those ppl in the photos i posted in my previous post, with the exception of the female (nicki minaj) are from the south. they hopped on the bandwagon late.

Okay. I do realize that the lady was Niki Minaj. You are right about how the certain trends come down here later (slang, clothes and other stuff).

we make certain things fashionable. fashions come and go. what is tacky? tacky is subjective. what one person thinks is tacky, another person has "created" by starting a trend. then its on to the next trend.

You're right, good point on the above.

are you really 24? you don't come off as if you are...

you wouldn't be questioning this stuff, IMO if you were really 24. this stuff is commonplace all over america. at least up and down the east coast and the west coast, and texas.

Not that you'd care but my birthday is 2/9/86; if I'm not 24, then I'm screwed. Listen, I know about trends and all of that stuff, I really do but trends come and go. I kept up with trends in elementary and middle school (and I was one of the better dressed kids in highschool when I moved to TN). I consider that a compliment that you'd question if I'm 24 or not (I doubt you think I'm younger). My style is nice but forgettable and I'm cool with that. I bet some of those dudes in your pictures had to bounce and wiggle around (like a chick) just to put those pants on, is it really worth it? I see nothing wrong with what the women are wearing (normal looking stuff) and you forced me to rep you with a better looking Niki Minaj picture (feel free to post more).
bonus:

we are fashion icons. period. lol @ ny being tacky. ppl cannot be serious. nyc is one of if not THEE fashion capital of the world for a reason.
Even Jordan missed game winners, Hank Aaron even swung and missed, and believe it or not, Lamborghini produced some ugly cars before. You're smart enough to get what I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,396,889 times
Quote:
God bless America.
its fashion.
Who are you, Zoolander?

Quote:
when have we not looked stupid? pick a decade.
Umm, usually the only ones who look stupid are the ones caught up trying too hard to be different. There are plenty of people out there considered to be fashionable without looking like a total d-bag (look at last month's GQ...while there are some weird dressers, there are plenty who aren't).

Just because a guy isn't wearing pseudo-intellectual glasses with no lenses, ripped jeans that are so tight they have no hope of ever reproducing, and a leopard-print scarf in August with half his head shaved doesn't mean they don't have fashion.

Enjoy your neon-rimmed glasses. I'll stick with the quarter-zip sweater & jeans.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,396,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
The only guys I know that wear them here ARE gay. As a matter of fact, only one store at the mall even sells them for guys here. ONE. I guess this is one example how things are different in different regions.
They're relatively popular here...and not just with gay people. There's lots of artsy-fartsy types in Boston (having 155,000 college students in Boston proper alone boosts that population), so it's relatively popular. However, it's not as if the whole city is plagued with them...and the last time I partied in NYC it wasn't either. But, that was also a year or so ago...so things may have changed. Hopefully not too much.

I'm sure I'll find out at the techno-concert I'm going to in April.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,696,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Who are you, Zoolander?
ask your wife.

Quote:
Umm, usually the only ones who look stupid are the ones caught up trying too hard to be different. There are plenty of people out there considered to be fashionable without looking like a total d-bag (look at last month's GQ...while there are some weird dressers, there are plenty who aren't).
na.

look at your pics from the 90's. now look at your pics from the 80's. look at your parents pics from both decades and then look at them from the 70's, 60's, etc.

i guarantee you somebody has on something that they wouldn't be caught dead in today. somebody somewhere has a hairstyle that they regret having.

Quote:
Just because a guy isn't wearing pseudo-intellectual glasses with no lenses, ripped jeans that are so tight they have no hope of ever reproducing, and a leopard-print scarf in August with half his head shaved doesn't mean they don't have fashion.

Enjoy your neon-rimmed glasses. I'll stick with the quarter-zip sweater & jeans.
just because a guy doesn't wake up and put on what he had on yesterday (you know, a wrinkled long sleeve tee, jean shorts and boots...a bent up, curved bill) it doesn't mean that he's gay.

just because a guy irons his clothes, likes to look nice...that doesn't make him gay, either.

just because ppl like you are close minded and have so much to say about things you have no idea about it doesn't mean that open minded ppl that find trends interesting are gay.

while your women flock to guys like us, you go ahead and enjoy your quarter zip sweater and jeans you got from old navy. we'll bring her back when we're done.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,004,537 times
Quote:
.while your women flock to guys like us, you go ahead and enjoy your quarter zip sweater and jeans you got from old navy. we'll bring her back when we're done.
I can pretty well guarantee you that no women here in their right mind would have anything to do with those white men in those pictures. The black guys maybe but the white guys LOL Oh, heck no. I can tell you are very young and debating you is pointless but to expect that everyone everywhere is just like you is very naive.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:32 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,616,845 times

Yo Eek, are these guys fashionable trendsetters?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 PM
eek

kanye is from chicago.
bentley is from atl
don c is from chicago as well.
not sure about the others.

kanye follows trends but he is a trendsetter, yes. the dude in the leopard pants is known to dress wild.

fonzworth is usually very well dressed but i wouldn't call him a trendsetter. the others i don't know enough about to tell you whether they are trendsetters or not.

nice try at being funny tho. got any pics of nyc ppl?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I can pretty well guarantee you that no women here in their right mind would have anything to do with those white men in those pictures. The black guys maybe but the white guys LOL Oh, heck no. I can tell you are very young and debating you is pointless but to expect that everyone everywhere is just like you is very naive.
i'm old enough to know that you come off as old and out of touch, to be blunt.

the women you know probably aren't wealthy enough to be in the same circles as the guys in the photos...so in reality, it might be the opposite. the men in the photos might not want to have anything to do with the women there.

you cannot debate what you don't understand. i cannot talk about things like this with someone that isn't willing to understand.

it is naive to think that the fashion capital of the u.s. and one of the fashion capitals of the world (and a city that is often considered THE fashion capital of the world) does not start trends that trickle down to other regions.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post

Yo Eek, are these guys fashionable trendsetters?
lmbo!!!!!!!!!!!!hilarious!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
i'm old enough to know that you come off as old and out of touch, to be blunt.

the women you know probably aren't wealthy enough to be in the same circles as the guys in the photos...so in reality, it might be the opposite. the men in the photos might not want to have anything to do with the women there.

you cannot debate what you don't understand. i cannot talk about things like this with someone that isn't willing to understand.

it is naive to think that the fashion capital of the u.s. and one of the fashion capitals of the world (and a city that is often considered THE fashion capital of the world) does not start trends that trickle down to other regions.
Two words: WHO CARES?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.