U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 AM

2,758 posts, read 3,433,920 times

Advertisements

I'll do a couple of sets of unbiased (good-tacky) Atlanta pictures:

I have some more.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 AM

6,344 posts, read 7,760,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
To me, it looked about like what you see on the streets of Atlanta...during a rare cold snap.
Haha ya right! We all know anywhere South of Virginia dresses like eskimos once the temperature drops below 30 degrees

From those Atl pics posted by Scott you can tell that Atlanta has a style of its own...that said, I prefer the New York style.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM

Here's an "Tacky ATL" version.

This style is still here

Old 02-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Haha ya right! We all know anywhere South of Virginia dresses like eskimos once the temperature drops below 30 degrees

From those Atl pics posted by Scott you can tell that Atlanta has a style of its own...that said, I prefer the New York style.
Actually, in my opinion, the style here is fragmented. You'd find the business and club crowd dressed better than most of those pictures shown. I'd say that the 35 and under crowd here have a better sense of dressing themselves.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,283,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Agreed. I was not impressed by those pictures; I'm still waiting to be amazed or shocked by this ground-breaking cutting edge fashions that New Yorkers rock. If he didn't say those pictures were in NY; I would've though anywhere.
stop lying to yourself...

scott's pictures of ppl in the atl is pretty accurate...for much of the south. of course you can add in a few pics of ppl dressed up, etc. but its no where near like what you see in ny NORMALLY.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
*snip*
see, i wasn't sure about your age...now that you say that you were in diapers in the 80's, i can talk to you about popular things a little bit better. we're probably around the same age, give or take a few years, but i know you remember:

cross colors
baggy jeans that had to be a size or two too big
boxes
boxes with blond dye in the corner
ppl with lines cut into their hair
rat tails
fronts
girls with half their hair shaved
girls with that short hair that was popular in the 90's
the neon colors that were popular in the late 80's to early 90's
polka dots
fubu
shoulder pads in dresses/blouses for women
floppy, saggy looking clothing for men and women
mini backpacks
overalls for the youth
everybody in throwbacks
jumpsuits
t shirts waaaay too big
jackets waaay too big
du rags under fitted hats
bandana print on clothing
every female in capris
acid wash denim
thick, thick socks
etc.

i'll post examples in a sec to refresh your memory.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,955,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
stop lying to yourself...

scott's pictures of ppl in the atl is pretty accurate...for much of the south. of course you can add in a few pics of ppl dressed up, etc. but its no where near like what you see in ny NORMALLY.
Stop lying??? Your obviously clueless if you think what those chicks were wearing in your pictures is only found in NY. Get out of NYC more.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,747,423 times
I would say so to an extent, although the urban-rural dynamic also plays into it. Climate also impacts they way people dress. Obviously bigger cities will be the trendier spots in their respective regions, with rural folks not so much concerned with what they wear. From my experiences people in New York City and California do dress trendier and less conformist than other parts of the country. Miami Beach is also a very trendy area. Beyond that I would say it's similar and it will mostly depend on the type of community you live in.

Here are some observations about regional clothing I have seen that stand out in certain areas:

NY/NJ/Conn - guido look
SoCal - "Bro" look/surf & skate culture influences
The South - Khakis, polos, and loafers (white people) or excessive "bling" (black people)
Pacific Northwest - LL Bean, REI, granola look

Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM
eek

things ppl might have regretted wearing from the 90's:

http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/166/625/56/IMG00189.jpg (broken link)

etc.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Stop lying??? Your obviously clueless if you think what those chicks were wearing in your pictures is only found in NY. Get out of NYC more.
did i say that the clothing that the women in my posts are wearing can only be found in nyc?

no? oh ok then.

what i'm saying is that that is the norm in nyc. there are many, many more pics that i came across that i could post but decided not to because it would have been redundant.

in these other areas ppl are swearing have that type of fashion as the norm it is not so. i've seen it with my own eyes. again, as i said before, yes, in other areas you do see things like that. but outside of pocket areas in the north, that is NOT anywhere near the norm for those areas.

and the pics aren't of anything new. its stuff that has been that way here for a long, long time. its not about impressing ppl with some advant garde thing. we don't have to. ppl still aren't up on what we do normally and won't be til years later when we will have moved on to the next thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.