Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
if the youth of your city looks like:

then you got that from us. you're welcome.
How did she ever get into those pants? They look like you could be shot across the room like a sling shot if not done right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,644,578 times
Eek, there's no way that the South jacked flannel and thermals from the North(east). I'm 24 now and I've been wearing long sleeved thermals under short sleeved shirts ever since kindergarten and a lot of Southerners wear flannel shirts in the rural areas. I'm not knocking your area but some of that NY ish is tacky...dudes wearing glasses and they have 20/20 vision, the mohawks on Black dudes, all the girls trying to dress like M.I.A. What's the point of a "fitted" if it's over-sized? For me, I just stick with denim, khaki, blue/white jeans, and open hem sweat pants. When I see skinny jeans on a dude, I think "NYG" and that's not directed at anyone on this site.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I'm sorry I have to agree. and only kids would argue about who got what style from where.
if your kids are old enough then there's a 85% chance that your kids dress like how we used to dress 2 years ago...depending on how old your kids are? perhaps they're all adults in their 30's...perhaps their all infants. who knows.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Eek, there's no way that the South jacked flannel and thermals from the North(east). I'm 24 now and I've been wearing long sleeved thermals under short sleeved shirts ever since kindergarten and a lot of Southerners wear flannel shirts in the rural areas.
we made it fashionable. we made it acceptable regardless of race. and ppl been rocking flannels in ny since you were in kindergarten.

"with the red and black lumberjack and the hat to match"
-biggie

(for example)

a lumberjack is a flannel.

anyway the youth wasn't rocking them hard like they are now along with their scarves, shades, etc. until we started doing it.

all those ppl in the photos i posted in my previous post, with the exception of the female (nicki minaj) are from the south. they hopped on the bandwagon late.

Quote:
I'm not knocking your area but some of that NY ish is tacky...dudes wearing glasses and they have 20/20 vision, the mohawks on Black dudes, all the girls trying to dress like M.I.A. What's the point of a "fitted" if it's over-sized? For me, I just stick with denim, khaki, blue/white jeans, and open hem sweat pants. When I see skinny jeans on a dude, I think "NYG" and that's not directed at anyone on this site.
again, the ppl in those photos are from the south.

we make certain things fashionable. fashions come and go. what is tacky? tacky is subjective. what one person thinks is tacky, another person has "created" by starting a trend. then its on to the next trend.

are you really 24? you don't come off as if you are...

you wouldn't be questioning this stuff, IMO if you were really 24. this stuff is commonplace all over america. at least up and down the east coast and the west coast, and texas.

i have more examples. this time from celebs:

http://socialitelife.celebuzz.com/bf...2232010-02.jpg (broken link)

bonus:
Moderator cut: image removed

we are fashion icons. period. lol @ ny being tacky. ppl cannot be serious. nyc is one of if not THEE fashion capital of the world for a reason.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:09 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 11:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
we made it fashionable. we made it acceptable regardless of race. and ppl been rocking flannels in ny since you were in kindergarten.

"with the red and black lumberjack and the hat to match"
-biggie

(for example)

a lumberjack is a flannel.

anyway the youth wasn't rocking them hard like they are now along with their scarves, shades, etc. until we started doing it.

all those ppl in the photos i posted in my previous post, with the exception of the female (nicki minaj) are from the south. they hopped on the bandwagon late.

again, the ppl in those photos are from the south.

we make certain things fashionable. fashions come and go. what is tacky? tacky is subjective. what one person thinks is tacky, another person has "created" by starting a trend. then its on to the next trend.

are you really 24? you don't come off as if you are...

you wouldn't be questioning this stuff, IMO if you were really 24. this stuff is commonplace all over america. at least up and down the east coast and the west coast, and texas.

i have more examples. this time from celebs:

bonus:
I think those pictures back up the facts that men from the NE dress gay.

Seriously though; NY's fashion only influences certain parts of America (NE,GA,FL,NC,SC,etc). You come down to Texas and those styles aren't the norm for the youth. It's too hot for all that lol

Skinny Jeans are looked down on in Texas; no dude should be allowed to wear those.

Texans dress style is southern mixed with western.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I think this might be true to a degree....

For example, I notice northern women don't wear make up as much as southern women. Also Southern girls like to wear more "laura ashley" style dresses, while northern women tend to favor more trendy stuff.

Yankee guys tend to go for that spikey gelled hair look. Southern boys have shaggy haircuts with bangs.

And then there's Californians...... well can we say "nip , tuck"?

LOL. I guess these are generalizations but yeah, I think so.
Yes.. It's called genetics and cross breeding.
Clothing choice/style only adds the icing to the cake.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:54 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Seriously though; NY's fashion only influences certain parts of America (NE,GA,FL,NC,SC,etc). You come down to Texas and those styles aren't the norm for the youth. It's too hot for all that lol

Skinny Jeans are looked down on in Texas; no dude should be allowed to wear those.

lol @ that.

until the men in your state start dressing like how we dressed years ago, right??

NYC influences fashion nationwide and worldwide. your favorite celeb's stylist is probably from nyc or cali. or from cali and lives in nyc or from nyc and lives in cali. its like one of two areas in this country that controls damn near everything you see in fashion in this country. we play off of each other.

you go to texas and you see nyc fashion. its not necessarily current, cutting edge, etc. but you still see it.

i'm not gonna go through 1000 celebrity pics but there are quite a few of bun b rocking exclusive nyc and cali brands (unftd, huf, supreme, diamond, etc). bun b is from texas, correct?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Take a trip over this way, that's all you will see. Too little clothes were big here way before they went mainstream though.
I'm glad that the scarf thing never caught on here.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Take a trip over this way, that's all you will see. Too little clothes were big here way before they went mainstream though.
I'm glad that the scarf thing never caught on here.
Lots of skinny jeans are worn here, but I know lots of girls don't like it and school districts are getting them banned for being worn in schools.

The scarf thing kind of caught on here; I've never understood that lol

Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
lol @ that.

until the men in your state start dressing like how we dressed years ago, right??

NYC influences fashion nationwide and worldwide. your favorite celeb's stylist is probably from nyc or cali. or from cali and lives in nyc or from nyc and lives in cali. its like one of two areas in this country that controls damn near everything you see in fashion in this country. we play off of each other.

you go to texas and you see nyc fashion. its not necessarily current, cutting edge, etc. but you still see it.

i'm not gonna go through 1000 celebrity pics but there are quite a few of bun b rocking exclusive nyc and cali brands (unftd, huf, supreme, diamond, etc). bun b is from texas, correct?
Yes and Texas is more influenced by California than New York. Looking at celebrities isn't a good example. You also have lots of stylist from the south; Beyonce's stylist is her mom and she's from Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.