U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,159,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Lots of skinny jeans are worn here, but I know lots of girls don't like it and school districts are getting them banned for being worn in schools.

The scarf thing kind of caught on here; I've never understood that lol
wait a min. you just said:

Quote:

Seriously though; NY's fashion only influences certain parts of America (NE,GA,FL,NC,SC,etc). You come down to Texas and those styles aren't the norm for the youth. It's too hot for all that lol

Skinny Jeans are looked down on in Texas; no dude should be allowed to wear those.

Texans dress style is southern mixed with western.
and then you say:

Quote:
Lots of skinny jeans are worn here, but I know lots of girls don't like it and school districts are getting them banned for being worn in schools.

Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:08 PM

4,236 posts, read 5,771,471 times
Quote:

In NOLA area schools it's plaid, ties, & sweaters. I've seen kids try to make the pants into skinny jeans, etc. The girls alter the plaid skirts and go to school looking like jail bait.

The scarf thing, I really don't get.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

and then you say:

He never said that people didn't wear them. He just said it was looked down on.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,421,583 times
Quote:

and then you say:

Yeah I know what I said. They are looked down here, but people wear them; however, they are usually from out of state. If you listen to Texas rappers they also will rap about their ill feelings toward the whole skinny jean trend (Independent Chicks - Candi Redd or If that's how you feel - Z-ro)

Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 PM
eek

Quote:
Yes and Texas is more influenced by California than New York. Looking at celebrities isn't a good example. You also have lots of stylist from the south; Beyonce's stylist is her mom and she's from Houston.
cali and nyc play off of each other. cali is influenced by ny an ny is influenced by cali. so again, ny rubs off on tx one way or the other.

and a lot of stylists from the south have lived in, live in and/or get their style from whats popular or going to be popular in ny and/or cali. it is what it is.

i have contacts in the fashion industry and am heavily into fashion. i know what i'm talking about.

beyonce's stylist for her wardrobes for CONCERTS is her mom. beyonce's mom is not telling her what to wear everyday. beyonce definitely dresses like a nyer. rightfully so, she's a celeb and she lives in nyc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
He never said that people didn't wear them. He just said it was looked down on.
he said the styles aren't common and that they wouldn't catch on because its too hot.

he lied. if its not common why would schools move to try to ban it? it has to
"be a problem" with enough ppl to warrant that. i'm not stupid.

also, the scarf thing is from ny. i thought it was too hot for that in tx for that to be part of the style for some of the youth? then it "caught on." again, oh ok.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 PM
eek

Quote:
Yeah I know what I said. They are looked down here, but people wear them; however, they are usually from out of state. If you listen to Texas rappers they also will rap about their ill feelings toward the whole skinny jean trend (Independent Chicks - Candi Redd or If that's how you feel - Z-ro)
nyc's style of fashion is more than skinny jeans tho. again, the other things on my list are seen where you are and in other areas. you're focusing on one thing out of many.

lol @ labeling the ppl there that are influenced by ny fashion transplants.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
cali and nyc play off of each other. cali is influenced by ny an ny is influenced by cali. so again, ny rubs off on tx one way or the other.

and a lot of stylists from the south have lived in, live in and/or get their style from whats popular or going to be popular in ny and/or cali. it is what it is.

i have contacts in the fashion industry and am heavily into fashion. i know what i'm talking about.

beyonce's stylist for her wardrobes for CONCERTS is her mom. beyonce's mom is not telling her what to wear everyday. beyonce definitely dresses like a nyer. rightfully so, she's a celeb and she lives in nyc.

he said the styles aren't common and that they wouldn't catch on because its too hot.

also, the scarf thing is from ny. i thought it was too hot for that in tx for that to be part of the style for some of the youth? then it "caught on." again, oh ok.
I never said Skinny jeans weren't common; I was talking about those pictures you had up. The dudes with the jackets and sweaters.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:

He didn't say it was common.. He said it wasn't the norm. There could be like a "normal" trend and then all of a sudden you have an increase in the "new" trend. It would be common to see the "new" thing, but it isn't the norm. That's how I see it anyway.

But you know what. I'm gonna slide out of this one, because it has nothing to do with me. What do I know?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM
eek

the norm = common.

lol @ moving goal posts.

anyway, jluke this is what you said:
Quote:

Seriously though; NY's fashion only influences certain parts of America (NE,GA,FL,NC,SC,etc). You come down to Texas and those styles aren't the norm for the youth. It's too hot for all that lol

Skinny Jeans are looked down on in Texas; no dude should be allowed to wear those.

Texans dress style is southern mixed with western.
i don't know about in texas and in new orleans, but everywhere else in america

the norm = something that is common. if someone says something like, "oh that style isn't the norm here."

ppl take that as you will not see that style there because it is not common there. i shouldn't have to break this down.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
the norm = common.

lol @ moving goal posts.

anyway, jluke this is what you said:

i don't know about in texas and in new orleans, but everywhere else in america

the norm = something that is common. if someone says something like, "oh that style isn't the norm here."

ppl take that as you will not see that style there because it is not common there. i shouldn't have to break this down.
That's why I was commenting on those pictures which aren't the norm except for the 6th pictures and it looks like Nicki Minaj is wearing beach wear; I fail to see what was influential or stylish about what she was wearing.

If you ever come to Texas; you'll see my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.